Jan 08

Royal Icing Recipe {Free Illustrated Recipe}

royal_icing_recipe_full-590x1482

Good royal icing recipes are hard to come by, let alone magical ones. Treat your treats to this sublime icing recipe, passed down through generations of mythical fairies.

For a FREE, sharable, printable version: click here.

An alternate version was submitted and accepted on They Draw & Cook, which you can find here.

For instructions on finding icing consistency for cookie decorating, click here.

Thanks to my amazing designer/art director Arthur Kononuk, for creating this adorable illustrated recipe and intro for me! I love it and hope you do too.

p.s. I linked this post up to Tidy Mom’s I’m Lovin’ It.

1. Jen
    May 20, 2015 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

I have made this recipe so many times and it always comes out so thick! I always have to water it down. What am I doing wrong?

2. Eve
    June 1, 2015 at 2:40 am | Permalink

Hi,
    Love your picture explanations! In your step 3, which is adding the icing sugar and mix it with paddle in the mixer. I do not have the paddle for the mixer, is it ok for me to use the whisk tool?
    And what is the consistency of this royal icing recipe? For outlining or flooding?

Thank you.

3. Khyla
    June 26, 2015 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

I’ve just tried your icing recipe and it’s super thick – like whipped cream thick. What am I doing wrong? I followed the measurements to a T.

• Marian (Sweetopia)
      June 27, 2015 at 7:15 am | Permalink

Hi Khyla,
      You did it correctly. 🙂 Royal icing can be used for different purposes, thick or thinned out. In the post above in bold and italics I shared the link you’ll need for general cookie decorating consistency. Have fun decorating!

4. Suha
    July 20, 2015 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian! This is fabulous, thank you so much for sharing I will try using the egg version of this recipe for stencilling.

Also, may I please ask where can I find this cute recipe illustration template/image? Thanks

S

5. Christine
    August 25, 2015 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Hi Marian:

I have been having lots of trouble with my royal icing either caving in or leaving holes when I flood small spaces. I have tried to use a dehydrater this has not helped…any suggestions. I am wondering if the brand of meringue powder might make a difference…would you share what brand of meringue powder you use.

Thanks so much for your help.

Chris

6. Gina Duran
    August 26, 2015 at 11:13 am | Permalink

The brand of meringue powder I’m using right now has cream of tartar listed in the ingredients. Do I still need to add it per your recipe?

BTW … your site is AWESOME!!!!! And an invaluable resource to me.

Thanks!

7. vanessa
    October 8, 2015 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Hi Ms. Marian! I would just like to ask what is shelf life of the cookies decorated with royal icing using the egg whites. I can’t find meringue powder here. Your reply is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

8. October 16, 2015 at 9:23 am | Permalink

I like your presentation by infographic. I just print the recipe, it looks awesome and hope it test good too.

9. Anna
    October 21, 2015 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Hello ! I really like your blog, thank you for all these wonderful ideas !
    Actually, I’m French, and I have absolutely no idea what cream of Tartar is. Could you please explain it to me ?

10. Cam
    October 28, 2015 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian! Great blog! I was just wondering about how much icing the recipe above yields? Thanks!

11. Tessa Merdiani
    November 28, 2015 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Hello Marian

I tried your Royar icing recipe, when i tried to dry my royal icing over night, it’s not become hard, the royal icing still wet. Am i doing it wrong ?

12. angelica stern
    December 17, 2015 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

what is icing sugar

December 18, 2015 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Icing sugar is also known as confectioner’s sugar or powdered sugar.

13. Breana
    December 29, 2015 at 3:10 am | Permalink

What kind of meringue powder do you use? I am having difficulty finding one that has vanilla.

14. Jaime Fitzpatrick
    March 10, 2016 at 1:28 am | Permalink

Hi!

I have so many good things to say about you, your blog and your willingness to help everyone trying to be as good as you, but for now I’ll just ask, for a standard cookie, what size tip do you use to flood? I’ve read that 2 is your favorite for outlining, but what about flooding? Thanks!

Jaime

15. Bambi Burton
    May 15, 2016 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Hey was wanting to know how long you can store the icing at what temp and if you can bring it back to life. Thanks, love this recipe!

• Jessica
      May 24, 2016 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

i use this recipe as well and i love it. i actually freeze my royal icing and just take out and let get to room temp then mix again and its perfect. i even add a little more powdered sugar if i need it thicker. i have so many colors of royal icing in my freezer and a tub of white ready to be colored for my next order 🙂 it usually doesn’t last too long in my freezer because i get multiple orders every weekend. 🙂

16. Jessica
    May 24, 2016 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Hi 🙂 i use this royal icing recipe and i Love it !! I am starting a home bakery business and am organizing the cost of the treats I offer. my question is how do you figure the average amount of cookies this recipe covers? i know its different for each order depending on size of cookie and the details involved. my cookies are average 3inches. any help is greatly appreciated!

17. barbara
    June 13, 2016 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

if i don’t have cream of tartar is ok ?

18. Fatemeh
    October 26, 2016 at 12:39 am | Permalink

Hi.excuse me what can i use instead of meringue powder and iciyng suger?

19. Karen
    October 27, 2016 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

I Marian,I just adore your site and so thankful for you sharing all this info with us.Im just learning how to make royal icing.Would you share which brand merenque powder you use please?I was wondering if it makes a difference.I used Wilton and their recipe(no cream of tarter)and it took a full day to dry and then sort of looked pitted by then.Did I over mix or was it the brand?Thank you so much for any tips you can give me!

20. Sladjana
    November 28, 2016 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Can we get the recipe with egg whites

21. Rosie
    December 1, 2016 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

I just want to thank you for all your wonderful recipes and tutorial videos. But I specially want to thank you for this royal icing recipe! Honestly, I’ve struggled with my icing for years and when I used your recipe wow — I’m a happy camper!! 🙂 — my icing came out stable, it has volume and no air bubbles. I also used a heat-fan to dry my cookies and I’m amazed that they dried smooth. I do live in a humid area so I used less water than what’s listed on the recipe. Then, I mixed my colors the day before so, the following day I just smoothed the icing to get rid off the air bubbles, and bingo…smooth icing!
    Thank you Marian, you rock!!! 🙂

22. Mary
    December 5, 2016 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Marian,
    I just recently found you on Instagram and have been mesmerized by your videos of your cookie decorating! They are so beautiful and sweet (no pun intended!). I love your Christmas cookies, especially the reindeer!
    Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful talent with everyone!

December 5, 2016 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for taking the time to come comment! I really appreciate it!

23. Cherri P
    December 5, 2016 at 10:07 am | Permalink

I am totally new to all of this and excited to begin.

24. Cherri P
    December 5, 2016 at 10:07 am | Permalink

I am totally new to all of this and excited to begin.
    I am not sure on the powdered vanilla. I have figured everything else out. Where is the best place to find this? Oh and how much to use?

December 5, 2016 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Hi Cherri P,

Do you mean the icing sugar? It goes by other names; confectioner’s sugar, powdered sugar are some examples.

The clear vanilla liquid extract can usually be found at Michael’s or your local bakery supply store, and of course on line at Amazon.

25. Bianca Betheldo
    December 6, 2016 at 4:17 am | Permalink

How many cookies would you say this covers???? 1kg of icing sugar is so much.

December 6, 2016 at 7:54 am | Permalink

It covers about 40-50 cookies, average sized.

1. […] cookies. Too watery and your outline will be running down the sides of your cookie. I found this recipe and it has never failed […]

2. […] try a fun flavor with my pumpkin sugar cookie dough or eggnog sugar cookie recipe. I like to use Sweetopia’s royal icing recipe for […]

3. […] Hi friends! So in today´s post I wanted to share a royal icing recipe that works every time. I got the recipe from this awesome blog: Sweetopia. […]

4. […] a restrained amount to be added so you can really control your icing tone. I personally used this royal icing recipe which has meringue powder instead of eggs- meringue powder is an American […]

5. By How to Decorate Santa Cookies | Sweetopia on December 19, 2015 at 12:26 pm

[…] Tried and true, click here for my favorite royal icing recipe. […]

6. By Classic Gingerbread Cookies | Parents Info on August 8, 2016 at 2:34 am

[…] And if you want a smooth, glossy frosting that isn’t sticky (perfect for ornaments), try Royal Icing – Marian of Sweetopia has some amazing cookie decorating tips and turorials! Happy […]

7. By How to Decorate Stand Mixer Cookies | Sweetopia on October 3, 2016 at 5:36 pm

[…] Royal Icing […]

8. By {Video} Snowflake Cookie Tutorial | Sweetopia on October 31, 2016 at 9:33 pm

[…] Royal Icing Recipe […]

9. […] from Marian of Sweetopia […]

10. By Momma's Sugar Cookies | bell' alimento on December 4, 2016 at 12:12 pm

[…] These are perfectly imperfect and I’m okay with that. They are, however, delicious. I used Sweetopia’s Royal Icing Recipe. It has never failed me. Now if only I could decorate like she does (dare to dream). I can, […]