Chocolates or decorated cookies that look like chocolates? Were you fooled?
These mini chocolate sugar cookies decorated with royal icing were so much fun to decorate! Simple and small, it was fun playing around with different designs. Thanks to Kei of The Cookie Cutter Land for inspiring some of the designs and for the initial idea! If you’d like to make them too, a video, tools and recipes are below.
Here is the video showing how I made most of the mini chocolate cookies, and you can find more details on cookie decorating basics, tools used and recipes below:
How to Decorate Simple Chocolate Box Cookies
Click here if you can’t see the video.
Find the cookie cutters I used here by clicking on each individual cutter below (Any links to Amazon in this post are affiliate links. There is no extra cost to you).
- Circle Cookie Cutters
- Heart Cookie CuttersHexagon Cookie Cutters
- Rounded Flower Cookie Cutters (designed to be a gumpaste cutter but works with cookie dough)
- Flower with Pointed Tip Cookie Cutters (designed to be gumpaste cutter but works with cookie dough)
- Square Cookie Cutters
- Rectangle Cookie Cutters
- Diamond Cookie Cutters
- 3 Leaf Clover Cookie Cutters
- 4 Leaf Clover Cookie Cutters
- Oval Cookie Cutters
- Hexagon Cookie Cutters
- Teardrop Cookie Cutters
- Leaf Cookie Cutters
- Star Cookie Cutters
- Triangle Cookie Cutters
Chocolate Sugar Cookie Recipe
The chocolate sugar cookie recipe can be found here.
Royal Icing Recipe
Tools you’ll need:
- Piping Tips – PME #1.5, PME #1
- Piping Bags
- Gel paste colors
- Scribe Tool or Toothpicks
- Valentine Sprinkles
- Edible Gold Leaf
- Chocolate Sprinkles
- Pink Sprinkles
- Heart Sprinkles
Royal Icing Consistency
The consistency of icing is key for easy decorating. Click here to see a YouTube video on finding the right icing thickness for basic flooding and decorating.
Cookie Decorating Basics
This video on outlining and flooding is a good place to start if you’re new to decorating cookies with royal icing. These cookie decorating basics YouTube videos may also be helpful to get you started.
Have fun playing around with the designs! Below are a few videos/posts on different techniques and commonly asked questions, especially for new cookie decorators, in case you’d like to check them out. Click on each link to find the post and video:
And here is the FAQ section in case I haven’t covered a question you have. Please feel free to leave a comment below as well!
A few more notes:
- The video clips for these chocolate cookies are fast forwarded to shorten the video.
- I collected chocolate boxes after Christmas to place the cookies in and bought a black box as well.
- The liners are cupcake liners and can be found here; brown or white.
- Some of the chocolates pictured in the photos are wrapped in mini cellophane bags. I’m freezing those to use for a fundraising event in February. The rest are already given away to family, friends and students.
Lastly, please forgive me for the zillions of photos in this post, I had fun playing around with different display ideas. Thanks for visiting me here and happy decorating!