Nov 01

Cookie Making Schedule {Free Printables} & Ballet Tutu Cookies

I wish I could say I was wearing this for Halloween.

If you can’t see the video click here please.

It’s amazing what you’ll do for children. {I may actually have had a little bit of fun wearing this… ahem… just a little ;-) ).

Please be gentle with me in the comment section. ;-)

My step-daughter and I really did have so much fun wearing our tutus, and I’m thankful to Marie of Bakerosity, for the gift of our beautiful custom-made tutus (She made them in the Sweetopia colours – how sweet of her!).

Of course I had to make some tutu ballet cookies.

Fitting my hobby (obsession?) of decorating cookies or other sweets in amongst life can be a challenge.  I get asked on a regular basis how I manage to fit them in while working full-time, making time for family and other commitments.

In order to balance it all, I’ve had to figure out a stress-free way of getting them done – after all, I still want to enjoy the experience! I’ve shared two cookie decorating schedules I use here, and free printables to go along with them for you. Thanks to my web designer Arthur for making them!

Now I just have to figure out how to get more blog posts up besides just making the cookies.

Here’s my plan for making cookies and decorating them:

{Free Printable} Cookie Making Schedule

6 Day Cookie Decorating Schedule

{Click here for a printable version}

I prefer making my cookies according to the schedule above, however sometimes I do need to make them in a shorter period of time.

3 Day Cookie Decorating Schedule

{Click here for a printable version}

These tutu cookies are fairly simple designs, so I didn’t need much time to decorate them. You could definitely finish these on a 3-day schedule.

I hope you have as much fun as I did making them too. Oh, and the bow on the cookie b.t.w., is a pre-made fabric bow from Michael’s Craft store. I got the idea of using them from this sweet cookie book, The Flour Pot Cookie Book. The ribbons are just barely iced so that they’re easy to remove.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to drop me a line in the comment section below, on Facebook or twitter.

Happy decorating!

*Huge thanks to Niner of We Choose Organic for editing the photos for me!
** The tutu cookie cutter is from ecrandal.com

January 11, 2012 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Hi @ joann: Definitely do put them in a container between layers of parchment (or wax) paper and leave them at room temperature. Have lots of fun btw and thanks for visiting my blog!

2. joann
    January 18, 2012 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Your recipe and icing were a hit at my son’s party!!! Thanks so much for inspiring me to make my own cookies! I had so much fun and will continue to make them for upcoming parties.

January 19, 2012 at 9:21 am | Permalink

My pleasure@ joann!

4. January 22, 2012 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

HI! First I’ll say all your work is just Amazing! I wish to be as fortunate with creativity and technique some day. :) I’m very new to Cookie making and decorating so here’s my question lol…I will be making some Valentines cookies for a friend to send to her husband who is stationed in Kuwait and she says he may not get it for 1-2 weeks..what would be the best way to package the cookies? will they even last long enough for him to enjoy them? I’d really appreciate ANY help. Thank you!

5. Ana Maria
    January 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Hi, Marian thanks for your website it is so useful for people like me who are starting this wonderful world of decorate cookies. I have a question how do you keep fresh your cookies in your 6 days schedule? I decorated 60 cookies in 3 days but i think the cookies by the last day where not fresh for me. I like crunchy cookies and I could understand that with royal icing they got a little bit soft and i think is because while i am decorating they are not in a tight container, so my concern is what is the texture of your cookies following the 6 days schedule? I hope ur answer could help me !!

January 23, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Hello @ Rachelle: They will be okay for two weeks no worries. I like to package mine in a cellophane bag tied with pretty ribbon. In terms of shipping you/she may want to see this post here:

All the best to you and your friends! That’s so wonderful you’re making those cookies for him… Amazing stuff all around! xo

@ Ana Maria: I’m wondering if you live in a humid area. Here’s a post on how I dry my cookies:

For the 6 day schedule, keep in mind that the first day is just making the dough, 2nd making the cookies and putting them in an airtight container, 3rd making icing, and only the 4th-5th will they be out, and on the morning of the 6th you package them. They aren’t exposed for the whole 6 days.

If you let me know what kind of environment you live in, I’ll be able to help you figure out why they’re soggy. xo

7. February 13, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Hi. I live in Singapore , its usually humid here and how do I keep these cookies crunchy if it’s out for 2 days. Need your advise?

8. February 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

HI @ Nuraini Noor: This post should help: http://sweetopia.net/2011/07/how-to-avoid-spots-on-icing/

9. Karen
    February 16, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

<3 it all! You are most def an inspiration :) thank you!

February 20, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much@ Karen!

11. February 21, 2012 at 1:14 am | Permalink

Hi Marian… I know this is late but I was wondering where you buy your sugar pearls from? They look almost see through… I LOVE them!

February 21, 2012 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Carla Maria: You can ask questions any time, no worries! These pearls are from Goldas Kitchen.com (on Amazon)

13. pearse
    March 16, 2012 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian
    very helpful post. i am the perrson who always is scared of doing things ahead of time. and I have a graduation party coming up where i need to do things ahead. i am planning to make some sugar cookies. i will be using glace’ frosting for it. i read your post and feel confident. but have one question though any plan to do graduation cookies. looking for inspiration

14. Kelsey
    April 2, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Hello Marian! I love your website and I am looking for a little chunk of your advice (…just like most of the ladies, and gent’s on here!)
    I am making shortbread cookies for Easter, but I will be giving these cookies out on Thursday Morning.
    If I was to make the dough, cut and bake the cookies on Tuesday evening, wait for them to cool and then put on the first layer icing so it can dry overnight. On Wednesday evening I would do the last layer of decorating. How long do you think that these biscuits will last?
    Thanks so much in advance!

15. April 10, 2012 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Hi @ pearse: I would search for images you like, or go to Michael’s and look at their graduation stickers for inspiration.

@ Kelsey: I’m so sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner! Leading up to Easter was crazy busy for me this year! My students and I hosted a dinner for 200 people from shelters around the city, on Wednesday night, and last week was a blur! How did your cookies go? There is a post, if you like, in the tutorial section, entitled, “What is the shelf life of cookies? How long do cookies last?”.
    xo

16. Allison
    May 13, 2012 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Hey Marian! I love your website such great ideas! I do have a question, I am making some onsie cookies for a friends baby shower that will be held on a Wednesday I will be doing a sugar cookie with royal frosting. If I made the dough and did all the work on Monday and didnt get done till late late that night and left them out to dry until Tuesday at like 5 then boxed them up, will they still be soft and fresh for the shower Wednesday afternoon or do you suggest your 3 day plan? I’m just so worried they will get hard and stale before Wednesday afternoon if I do them early. HELP!!

17. May 13, 2012 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Allison: Absolutely they will be fine if they’re wrapped in an airtight container! If your boxes aren’t air tight, I’d put all of *those* boxes in a large air tight container until your party. They will be fine! xo

18. Heather
    August 9, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

where do you get your cookie cutters? I have not found anywhere that has a good variety. I am looking for a tutu cutter right now and came across these gorgeous cookies.

August 9, 2012 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Thank you, @ Heather. The link to the cutters is in teh very last line of the post.

20. Angelica
    August 13, 2012 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Let me start off by saying how much I enjoy your site. Your cookie guidance has been invaluable to me. Especially your cookie check list. Where did you make the list? Any chance we will be seeing any 3D cookies??? :-)

August 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

HI @ Angelica: Thanks for your sweet words! Sorry, what do you mean by ‘Where did you make the list?’. 3-D Cookies are def. on the list… I wish all I could do was make cookies! xo

22. September 27, 2012 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Your cookies are freakin’ amazing! I was just organizing a Christmas cookie bake and decorate party and you will be a wonderful resource.

Thanks!

23. Cecilia in Calgary
    September 27, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Miriam,
    Do you have a timesheet for cupcakes? My daughter is starting her cupcake business and her first event is Halloween party at school, 600 attendant this event. How much in advance can we bake the cupcakes and decorate them. The event is on a Friday so timing will be escential as i work, and she is at school all day.
    Cheers
    Cecilia

24. Cecilia in Calgary
    September 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Cecilia in Calgary wrote:

Marian,
    Cheers
    Cecilia

October 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Cecilia in Calgary: Unfortunately, I don’t have one for cupcakes, but if it helps at all, you can make and freeze cupcakes. Defrost them uncovered so the liners don’t peel away.

@ Shonagh @ An Offal Experiment: Awesome! Have fun!

26. October 18, 2012 at 5:26 am | Permalink

You are truly amazing! Thank you so much for sharing these gorgeous recipes, tips and stunning photos with the world. X

27. Kimberley
    November 5, 2012 at 2:55 am | Permalink

Hi Marian, I’m a huge fan of your work and think you are so inspirational. I’m also passionate about baking the yummiest and prettiest cakes, cupcakes and biscuits, but am just starting out and am learning so much. Thanks for all of your tips and photos and ideas!

28. Jennifer R.
    November 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

First, LOVE your blog and your creations!!

I had to leave you a note to tell you how much your cookie schedule has helped me. I started decorating cookies about a year ago as a hobby (after Hubbie gave me a gift by sending me to a cookie class). As of May ’12 I started taking orders outside of family and friends (Yay! Texas Cottage Law). I also work full-time. I started decorating cookies in the beginning because I loved it. Then I started to get a little busy with orders (a couple of orders a week). Before I knew it, I was staying up way past my bedtime and missing out on family outings due to a cookie committment. It wasn’t always fun. Then I remembered your schedule. I LOVE COOKIE DECORATING AGAIN! Thank you SO much. I know it is such a logical/simple concept…but it didn’t occur to me to keep a schedule until I read your post. I now have a “cookie schedule” book with print-ups of your 6-day schedule in it. Again, thank you for everything you do!

Jennifer

29. November 12, 2012 at 5:04 am | Permalink

Hi, I love your site! I have so many questions!!

I am always worried about keeping cookies fresh and crisp. At least when they are for my family I know what they taste like but if I give them to someone I worry they won’t like them if they have gone soft! When you say keep them airtight and you put them in a cellophane bag with a ribbon do you mean you put all of the cellophane wrapped cookies in one big airtight box? The ribbon on an open ended bag won’t keep it airtight so how does this work if they need shipping as well?

Also what is the texture of your cookies? I like mine crunchy. I bought a heat sealer a little while ago and seal my bags shut although having tried them a week later I always find they are a little soft (fresh but soft!). I do often use fondant coverings as well so I wondered if something in the fondant makes them a little softer over time. I want to make some cookies for a school fair in a few weeks but don’t want to spend a crazy 48 hours beforehand trying to make loads at the last minute. Your schedule sounds great. I might make the dough ahead of time and freeze it so I can bake and start to decorate on the same day.

30. Jessica
    November 14, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Hi, loving your cookies!! I have so much to make between now and next Saturday (9 days away) so trying to figure out how I can do it. Can I make the cookies and store them in airtight container in decorated and decorate them nearer the time? Just worried about 9day old cookies, i don’t want them hard!! Many thanks
    Jessie

31. Jenn
    November 19, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian, your website is so thorough and beautifully organized. I find decorating royal icing cookies to be incredibly frustrating so I’m hoping with some of your tips it will be a little easier.
    I do have a question on shelf-life though and how you would recommend storing without freezing. I need to make cookies for Christmas Eve but am leaving town about a week before, so I won’t be able to decorate them when I get back. Can I make the cookies and decorate them a week ahead? and how would you recommend storing them? Will the cookies get soft at all? Thanks so much!

November 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Sweet thanks, @ Andrea and @ Kimberley!

@ Jennifer R.: No way, you printed a book of them… I love it! Thanks for sharing that with me. :) I’m glad I could help.

@ mylittlemod: You can use a heat sealer if you’d like it sealed more than a ribbon would. I haven’t had an issue with them in the bag tied with a ribbon. Ahh, just saw you mentioned the heat sealer. What kind of a climate do you live in? Are you working in a humid environment? Try working in a room with A/C and a de-humidifier to see if that helps with the ‘soft’ issue you were mentioning.
    Good luck!

Hi @ Jessica: You could freeze them and thaw them the day before if you’re worried about the 9 day period. Here’s a post on freezing them.. pls read the comment section for lots of great tips. http://sweetopia.net/2011/03/freezing-decorated-cookies/

Hi @ Jenn: Here’s a post on cookie shelf life for you:

33. Maria Jacomino
    December 2, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

I was watching the tutorial of the pink gingerbread house. Could you please let me known what the name of the song is that is playing as you’re building the house (in fast forward)? I tried using Shazam, but nothing came up. I want to play that song as I build a gingerbread house of my own with my granddaughters. I would appreciate your help!

Thank you.

34. Emily
    December 7, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian – I’m loving your website and videos! This will be my first attempt at decorating with Royal Icing. Do you wait 1 day between coloring the icing and icing the first layer of the decoration so that the icing color can “get stronger?” Or is there another reason? That is, could I color my icing in the morning, let it sit during the day, and then decorate with my first layer in the evening?

Thanks for your help! Can’t wait to experiment!

December 7, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Maria Jacomino: Do you mean this one? http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-audio-14553114-christmas-story.php

Hi @ Emily: If I have the luxury of waiting, I’ll let them sit overnight, or color in the morning and ice in the evening, as you mentioned, but unless you’re really worried about the shade of a color (the only one I am more careful with is red, because I don’t want it to deepen too much {if I’ve added too much coloring}, you technically can color your icing and decorate right away. Hope that helps.

36. Yenny
    March 4, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Hola Marian, quiero darte las gracias porque toda la información y consejos trasmitidos en página han sido de gran ayuda para mi, siempre estoy pendiente de tu trabajo y te sigo en facebook, me has inspirado y me he atrevido a realizar tus recetas, soy de Venezuela y aquí no hay el polvo de merengue, pero vi la receta de las claras de huevo y la hice tal como la describes y me quedo perfecta el acabado es maravilloso, con la masa de las galletas si me a costado un poco por lo pegajosa que es pero igual las galletas me quedaron muy buenas, de verdad mil gracias y mucho éxito eres maravillosa al compartir todos tus conocimientos.

37. Stephanie
    April 13, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Do you make these cookies to sell? Not the tutu ones specifically, but just the decorated cookies? I am looking for some under the sea/mermaid cookies. I found you through a Pinterest search for tutorials and you’re amazing! I am a little intimidated at trying this out and thought maybe I could just skip the anxiety altogether by just purchasing them from you. :) Also, I noticed in the Paris cookie tutorial that you had a shadow/pattern projecting onto your cookie as you decorated them. Do you have a link/tutorial showing how to do that? Thanks so much!!!

April 14, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

@ Stephanie:
    I’m sorry, I don’t sell my cookies but here’s a directory of people who do, if you don’t want to try the tutorials;

If you think you might want to try decorating, and like learning from video more than just post tutorials, please feel free to check out my youtube page. xo

39. November 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Hi!
    This is such a wonderful post… The schedule printable is a life saver! I have trouble with a few colors never drying which throws off the schedule. I’ve mixed a royal blue and dark brown that were tacky after 2 days with fans. I know the consistency wasn’t the issue because both were 10 second. I ended up covering up the mistake with sanding sugar but what can you do to prevent this? I can’t seem to fine a definite solution anywhere!

Thank you so much for your help!

Amber

November 12, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Hi Amber,
      Have you tried letting them dry in a room with a dehumidifier on?

For edible ink pens, I’ve used Wilton, Americolor and I’ve used Kopykake. All work well, but the Americolor and Kopykake have finer tips. Hope that helps!

40. November 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

One more! :) what pens do you use to draw on uniced cookies?

Thank you!

Amber

January 2, 2014 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Hi Amber,
      I have Americolor and KopyKake pens right now. I think any of them work (Wilton has them too), but the first two brands I mentioned have more colors.

41. Nikki
    December 15, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

You to look adorable!! Just wanted to say :)

42. December 20, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

No sabia de este blog hasta hoy, y me lo guardo en marcadores!
    ¿Hace mucho que existe? Lo visitaré más frecuentemente,
    tiene un diseño muy amigable.
    Me encantó el artículo, dan ganas de empezar a escribir un blog.

Ey! Puedo coger una foto de este blog para el mi
    blog? No encuentro fotografías que encajen para mis artículos y las tuyas están geniales.
    Muchas gracias!!
    En Este blog se usa el mismo template que tenía instalado
    en el mío. ¿Podrías por favor decirme cómo se llamaba?
    Lo desinstalé y no consigo recuperarlo… gracias!!

Muchas gracias por publicanos post como este.
    Me divierte tu artículo. Guardo el Feed y así no perderme
    nada en el futuro.
    Muy bien transmitida la información. los próximos post.

Me gusta esta web. Post como este son los que más me gustan.

43. December 31, 2013 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for your wonderful blog!! I have a question. I know you’ve said how long cookies can keep for, but I’m wondering how long they are ok sitting out on the counter? I made my cookies Fri and put the 1st layer, and let them sit overnight. Then Saturday I put the 2nd layer and left them out all day. Saturday night I put them in a plastic container. But I still had more decorating to do. So I took them out today (Monday) and finished them, and am leaving them out overnight because I’m worried that the icing won’t dry all the way. But on the other hand, I’m worried they’ll get stale. What’s the longest I can leave them out? Would 3 days total be horrible? :-/

Thank you!
    Heather

January 2, 2014 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Hi Heather,
      That’s fine.
      Have fun decorating!

44. January 12, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Hi there! I’m not a cookie maker (unless for home eating!) and I was thinking of trying cookies rather than cupcakes for this Valentine’s. However, my cookies don’tlast for long, only for about 4-5 days. How does it works to make them to last longer in order to have such schedule + consumption period? Many thanks, Sandra.

45. July 24, 2014 at 2:37 am | Permalink

Hi, Marian thanks for your website it is so useful for people like me who are starting this http://www.lesgraphistesdulibournais.fr wonderful world of decorate cookies.

1. [...] do decorate in one day, allow a few hours between layers—unless you want the wet-on-wet look.  Sweetopia has a great chart for decorating in 6 and 3 [...]

2. [...] your cookie decorating, besides figuring out how far ahead you can begin making them, these Cookie Decorating Schedules may be helpful for [...]

3. [...] How long does it take to make and decorate cookies? Depending on whether or not you’d like to make to make them in a shorter time frame, or longer time frame, here are two, free, printable Cookie Decorating Schedules. [...]

4. By Secrets of a Cookie Decorator | Sweetopia on March 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm

[...] But, that can be fixed…. Here’s what to do about humidity , bleeding, and a schedule to help you [...]

5. By Easter Cookies « Big A, Little A on April 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm

[...] research to look for any shortcuts that would help get me out of the kitchen sooner.  Turns out, Sweetopia offers some sample schedules to help with cookie decorating efficiency.  I do bake the cookies a [...]

6. [...] project was also one of my first attempts to follow the good advice of many talented cookiers.  Sweetopia suggests that you preserve sanity by spreading the project over a few days.  So I baked on day 1, [...]

7. By How to Make Decorated Cherry Cookies | Sweetopia on July 23, 2012 at 11:47 am

[...] these to my collection. You can find another example of cookies I've made using their cutters here, and if you'd like to find their cherry cutters, click [...]

8. By How to Decorate Stand Mixer Cookies | Sweetopia on April 16, 2013 at 11:02 pm

[...] KitchenAid mixer cookies in a rainbow of happy colors. 120 of them to be exact. Details on the scheduling of making them as well photos to come in a later post, but for now, a little step by step on how [...]

9. By How to Decorate Oven Cookies | Sweetopia on May 26, 2013 at 11:08 pm

[...] used this decorating schedule, but with both of us working (other) full time jobs and the amount of cookies made, there were a [...]

10. By Decorated Ballerina Cookies on June 9, 2014 at 9:30 am