Jul 25

How to Thaw Frozen Undecorated Cut-Out Cookies

One of the many things I love about decorated cookies as a gifts or favours is that they work for any kind of theme, and always seems to go over well. They’re relatively inexpensive to make, and besides having them as somewhat of a decoration for any kind of party, in the end, they’re edible too! Before I had experience in preparing cookies for an event, whether it was a smaller amount of about 30 cookies to a larger amount of about 100, the time leading up to the due date was a little stressful though. Making sure I had enough time to make the actual cut out cookies and also decorate them, while working full time as a teacher and trying to meet all the other demands of life, was often a challenge. Enter one of my favorite solutions – breaking up the process and making the cut out cookies ahead and then freezing them.

Such a simple thing, so easy to do, and a real time saver. Make and freeze them up to 3 months ahead and closer to the due date, take them out (more detail on that below) and decorate!

Although the freezing and thawing process are not complicated, there are a few tips I’ve followed for success, which you can find below. You may have found some more ideas work for you; please feel free to share them in the comment section.

Freezing Cookies

I freeze my baked cut-out cookies right on the baking tray (and parchment paper) they were baked on. I’ll maximize the space by combining, let’s say, two baking sheets of cookies into one, by squeezing as many cookies as I can onto one baking sheet. Lay one sheet of parchment paper on top of the cookies and then generously wrap the tray with plastic wrap. I go all around the tray (not just the top). Store them in the freezer where no or little weight is on them.

Of course, this means that you’d likely need to have extra baking sheets in your kitchen as the cookies may be in the freezer for months, so if you don’t have and/or don’t want to buy extra baking sheets, just freeze your cookies between layers of parchment paper in plastic containers with lids. Note that the containers need to be able to withstand the freezer. Freezer Ziplock bags can work too.

Thawing Cookies

To thaw cookies, simply take the trays (or containers) out of the freezer, leaving the lid on or plastic wrap on, and leave at room temperature for at least a few hours.

I used to thaw them uncovered, which usually works where I live, however, during the high-humidity summer months, some condensation would form on the cookies. By leaving the lid or plastic wrap on your wrapped, frozen cookies, the condensation forms on the outside of the container, tray and/or wrap, and after minimum few hours you can uncover the cookies and decorate. A little note, I usually wait at least 3-5 hours to be sure the cookies are thawed, and then leave them exposed to the air for a few hours as well, before decorating. And that’s it. So simple!

If you’re planning to make cookies and need some more time saving ideas, here are some posts for you:

Cookie Decorating Schedule(s)

How to Freeze Decorated Cookies

What is the Shelf Life of Decorated Cookies?

Baby Shower Cookies

Many thanks to Shiori of Fiocco Cookies! Most of the baby shower cookies in this post are based on Shiori’s exact cookies, and the rocking horse cookie cutter is in fact, custom made by her. Thank you to Shiori for sharing her custom cookie cutter with me and for being such an inspiration! You will surely fall in love with all her pretty cookies too – check out her website here.

I’m so excited to share with you that this custom cookie cutter will soon be available for you to buy in How Sweet is That?‘s shop! Thank you to Sherry for making it happen! I will be doing a tutorial on the rocking horse cookie and I will let you know here as soon as the cutter is available.

For the onesie cookies at the very top of the above photo, you can find a tutorial on them here.

The elephant cookies are simple to do, you can find a similar tutorial on them (minus the polka dots), here and here. The small elephant cutter is from How Sweet Is That.

I’ll be sharing a video tutorial on making these baby carriage cookies in a few weeks. The baby carriage cookie cutter can be found here. (4 inch)

Until then, have fun decorating and if you have any tips on helping me make prettier ribbon bows, I’d appreciate it! 😉

p.s. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to drop me a line below in the comment section or on social media. You can find me on FacebookGoogle+InstagramPinterestTwitter and YouTube.

1. Claudia Patricia
    July 25, 2015 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I didn’t even noticed the bow until you mentioned,surely it’s the least important with such beautiful cookies!
    BEAUTIFUL AS ALWAYS!
    CONGRATS!

2. July 25, 2015 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Really sweet set of cookies. Baby shower cookies are my favorites. Great tips too!

3. July 25, 2015 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

When I freeze my undecorated cookies, I layer them in between sheets of paper towels in rectangular plastic containers. I find the paper towels absorb some of the butter/grease that would normally seep through the icing on cookies with dark flood icing. I thaw them in the containers for a few hours before decorating. Works for me!

• July 29, 2015 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your input Anne!

• Cheri
      August 14, 2016 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

How do you get your cookies to keep such great shape.

4. Marguerite
    July 25, 2015 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous cookies, as usual! Thanks Marian.

5. Christine
    July 25, 2015 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

These are beautiful. I am looking forward to the tutorial for the baby carriage as I always wanted to know how to do a basket weave look. Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise..it is very much appreciated.

6. July 27, 2015 at 5:53 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for the great tip! Those cookies are absolutely precious. 😉

7. July 27, 2015 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing, so helpful! These cookies are so beautiful… ^_^
    xo

8. Maria Theresia
    July 27, 2015 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous baby shower gifts! Great advice how to freeze and thawing cookies. All the shapes are adorable. Beautiful decorated, like always. I’m looking forward to see how you do the weaving patern on the caridge. That would be my choice for the gift to take home.

9. July 28, 2015 at 8:11 am | Permalink

These cookies are soo beautiful, as usual.
    Thanks for this article. I used to freeze the rolled out, raw dough. I was always afraid to freeze them, when already baked. I will try it now, looking forward to beeing able decorating cookies whenever I want to.

Cheers,
    Kathrin

10. July 28, 2015 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Great adviiice, Marian!

It helps cookie decorators big time to read your troubleshooting and tips so everything goes smoothly for them 🙂

LOVE the cute onesies!!
    Oh boy!

Thanks for all the effort you put into this post. Can’t wait to watch the video 🙂

xoxo,
    niner

11. Carmen Azanza
    July 28, 2015 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Hi there where can I buy the rocking horse, the baby elephant, and old fashion stroller? I would like to purchase them. Thanks

• July 29, 2015 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Hi Carmen,
      The rocking horse cookie cutter was custom made by Shiori of Fiocco Cookies, but she has agreed to let “How Sweet is That” store sell them. The will be available to buy in a few weeks. I will post a link to them on Sweetopia.

The baby carriage and baby elephant I will put links in the post above, after this. It will be up in a few minutes.
      Happy decorating! xo

12. Katie
    July 28, 2015 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Has anyone ever tasted their previously frozen and thawed cookies? I’m curious if it affects the taste or texture compared to a “fresh” (1 or 2 day old) cookie?

• July 29, 2015 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Hi Katie,
      I find they taste the same as long as they aren’t frozen for too long. I would say no longer than 3 months.

13. July 31, 2015 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Your cookies are always beautiful! And, while I see nothing wrong with your bows, here is how I do mine (I use the treat bags that come with twist ties):

1.) Fold your twist tie in half so that it looks like a hair pin…one of the big open ones, not a tight bobby pin.

2.) Then take your length of ribbon and fold it into thirds leaving the ribbon stacked on top of itself. You will have a tail facing each direction and a loop on either side. Make sense?

3.) Place your twist tie over the middle of the length of ribbon, with the curve facing you, and perpendicular to the ribbon. Hold the tails of the twist tie with one hand, bend the loops in the opposite direction of the twist tie tails (making sure they are even with each other) and, while pinching them near the curve of the twist tie twist the tie tightly on the other side.

You now have a cute little bow attached to the twist tie with which to close your treat bag.

I hope this makes sense. It really isn’t complicated, but it is very effective! My 6-year-old son helps me make my bows for packaging cookies!!!

You can see an example here: http://sweetnothingsbyreagan.com/2015/06/15/love-bird-cookies/

Thank you for sharing your artistry!

14. Natalia
    November 1, 2015 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian, you are an inspiration. I just had my first baby and have looked for something fun to do and since I love painting and baking, cookie decorating is the best. I have just started. My question is, when you have decorated the cookies do you leave them out of a container to dry over night? And if defrosting to decorate them, would they not be soft after being out thawing, then decorated and outside drying the icing?

15. Peggy
    November 17, 2015 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Hi! I am doing a large order and want to freeze some undecorated cookies. I have frozen sugar cookies before, but not on a massive scale. I did a trial run and my husband says he detected a slight plastic taste. I froze the cookies in Tupperware without wrapping them – just stacked in there. Do you think that freezing them on the baking pan could eliminate the possibility of a plastic taste? Have you encountered this? I’d love to get a head start on baking, but I want my finished product to be yummy. Thanks so much!

16. Lauren
    January 1, 2016 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Hi!

I was wondering if you have a system for figuring out how much dough and icing you will need to complete an order or project. I find I am always off–usually needing to make more dough and having too much icing–and it adds a level of frustration to what should otherwise be a fun activity.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!!
    Lauren

17. Cheri
    August 14, 2016 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

How do you get your cookies to bake and keep there shape

18. Kelly
    November 13, 2016 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

I know that my response is rather late, but my favorite way to make tiny bows is the fork method! I use a cocktail fork for the smallest! It would be easy to adapt with a twist tie! Your cookies are beautiful!

19. Cata
    June 11, 2017 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Beautiful!!! Have you ever frozen just uncut, unbaked sheets of dough? In case you don’t know the motif?
    How did it work out?

1. […] The blue themed carriages can also be found in an earlier post on how to thaw frozen cut-out cookies, which can be found here. […]

2. […] As I’m generally too busy right before camp starts to make 260 cookies, I make the dough and bake the cookies ahead and freeze them. For a post on freezing and thawing undecorated cookies, click here. […]

3. […] like to start baking and decorating early, click on the links to find posts on freezing cookies, thawing cookies and the shelf life of […]

4. […] like to start baking and decorating early, click on the links to find posts on freezing cookies, thawing cookies and the shelf life of […]