Dinosaur Video Tutorial
When I saw this dinosaur sticker on Redbubble, designed by Hocapontas, I knew I had to make him for my nephew’s third birthday party. Isn’t he adorable? Special thanks to two extremely talented artists and designers; Hocapontas for the design and Megan of Downtowndough for making me the cookie cutter!
The cookies themselves are quite simple to make, I’ll share a basic how-to along with the recipes and tools below. Please feel free to ask questions below, happy to help!
Dinosaur Video Tutorial
Click here if you can’t see the video.
Sugar Cookie Recipe
- Palm Leaf Cookie Cutter
- Dinosaur Cookie Cutter was custom made by Downtowndough, the image is from Hocapontas on Redbubble.
Royal Icing Recipe
The royal icing recipe can be found here.
Royal Icing Consistency
The consistency of icing is key for easy decorating. Click here to see a YouTube video on finding the right icing thickness for basic flooding and decorating. You might want to also check out this post. I also have a detailed PDF and video on finding the right royal icing consistency for decorating, here.
Find the cookie cutters I used here by clicking on each individual cutter below (Any links to Amazon in this post are affiliate links):
What you’ll need:
- Piping Tips – PME #1.5, PME #2.5 or PME #3
- Piping Bags
- Gel paste Colors; royal blue, navy blue, sky blue, white, leaf green
- Scribe Tool or Toothpicks
- Pico Projector (Optional if you’re comfortable drawing, or you can make a paper template).
- Arkon Remarkable Creators Phone and Tablet Stand (20% off with coupon code sweetopia) (For projector)
- iPad (For projector. You will not need this if you use an USB or TF card)
- Mini HDMI to HDMI cable (Doesn’t come with the Pico projector. You will not need this if you use an USB or TF card)
- Lightning to HDMI Adapter (For projector. Adapter for HDMI cable to attach to iPad. You will not need this if you use an USB or TF card
Cookie Decorating Basics
This video on outlining and flooding is a good place to begin if you’re new to decorating cookies with royal icing. These cookie decorating basics YouTube videos may also be helpful to get you started.
The dinosaur video also includes how to decorate these tropical palm leaf cookies. Thanks to Sherry of How Sweet is That? for the cookie cutter!
A little bit about these dino cuties… My nephew loves dinosaurs so much right now, he asked for a dinosaur birthday party. He squealed in happiness when he saw these cookies – what a sweet thing to see.
Hope you have fun making and sharing these too! Feel free to leave a comment below if you have any questions, happy to help!
Happy baking and decorating!
p.s. You might also be interested in these cookie tutorials:
Or these cookie recipes: