Apr 18

{Video} How to Make Daisy Cookies (with a little help from a KopyKake projector)

Can you tell how these cookies took half the time to dry than usual?

teal-daisy-decorated-cookies

If you haven’t figured it out, maybe a hint… It has something to do with the fact that the daisy petals are able to ‘hang over’ the edges of the base.

The daisies are royal icing transfers. 🙂  (I’ll show you how I made them in the video below).

Instead of having to pipe the design on my base and then wait to let that dry, I was able to pipe both the teal base and the daisies, let them dry, and in 24 hours, adhered the daisy to the cookie.  Voila!  (The things that make me happy. Lol).

If you’d like to see how these were made, including a few tips about decorating with the Kopykake projector , click on the video below.

{Video} How to Make Decorated Daisy Cookies

If you can’t see the video, CLICK HERE.

And a quick pictorial overview:

A note in here for those of you who read my photography tips post; I orgininally made the collage below first and then decided to put all the steps in one, so made the collage above… and forgot to fix the lighting… can you see the difference?

Anyways, a few other things to mention:

• These cookies might work well as ‘name-tag’ favours if you added the names to the open space.
  • Thanks to Kim of The TomKat Studio and HGTV for including these cookies in their Yellow & Blue Easter Brunch!
  • I’m working on a thorough Kopykake Projector Tutorial Video.  Coming… soon?  For now, for those of you interested, here’s a post on it (click here).
  • The KopyKake projector isn’t needed to make these cookies; you could just trace the daisy instead of projecting the image.  I like the projector because 1) it’s faster for me to just pop the image in and project and  2) more importantly, if I’m making a more detailed image like the owl cookies in this post here, I’m able to see the second layer (owl’s eyes and belly), whereas if I were tracing I’d only be able to trace the first layer (brown body).

What would you like to see in the next video?  Drop me a line in the comment section below, on YouTube, or my facebook page here.

And in case I’m not able to post again before then; Happy Easter to you!

I hope the Easter Bunny brings you sweets. 😉

March 3, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Hi @ Cristina Perez: Thank you! I keep my cookies drying on the baking sheets, and tucked into a baking rack. In case you haven’t seen the video on drying, with other details, here it is; http://sweetopia.net/2012/01/video-how-to-dry-cookies-decorated-with-royal-icing/

2. Maries
    March 7, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

I just looove ur cookies! Wanna bake and decorate them all! Will definitely try to make these daisy transfers! Cheers from mx!

3. Mary Ellen
    March 16, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Thank you for all of your tutorials!! Could you tell me where you got the daisies that you used for tracing?
    Those cookies are beautiful!
    Mary Ellen

4. March 16, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

@ Maries: Thanks!
    @ Mary Ellen: Walmart. They’re in the video if you want to see them.

5. Krystle
    March 25, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Your cookies are absolutely AMAZING!! I am on your website literally everyday. I just can’t get enough of your information and tips. Thank you for taking the time to help others!

What size cookie cutter did you use on these cookies?

Krystle

March 25, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Aw, thanks, @ Krystle!
    I’m so sorry, I can’t remember anymore what cutter I used, it’s been so long! They were about the size of my palm, I would guess. I’m 5″8 and have larger hands than a petite girl, if that helps! 😉

7. Krystle
    March 26, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

@ marian:
    That helps perfectly! Thank you so much for responding!

8. April 4, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian! I *love* these cookies and plan to draw from your design for cookies for my baby shower 🙂 Quick question, is that Americolor Lemon Yellow? Egg yellow? Thanks in advance for your help and your inspiration!

9. April 4, 2013 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Pleasure, @ Krystle.

@ Michelle @ MakeMeCake.Me: Lemon yellow. Have fun!

10. April 4, 2013 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

@ Marian (Sweetopia): Your super quick reply is so much appreciated! Thank you Marian 🙂

11. Laura
    April 5, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Beautiful cookies. Thanks for the video.

12. Roshini
    April 8, 2013 at 6:53 am | Permalink

these are so adorable

13. Agatha
    April 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian! I love your blog, soooo inspiring! I wanted to ask you if you know another method besides a fan to speed up the drying of RI transfers. Have you tried putting them in the freezer for a couple of hours? I’m afraid to mess them up. Thanks!

April 9, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

HI @ Agatha: I haven’t tried it, but I remember reading somewhere in my comment sections that Julia Usher uses a food dehydrator. It sounds like an intriguing, good idea! Let me know if you give it a shot.

15. Dolores
    April 17, 2013 at 10:20 am | Permalink

I love your site I could just spend hours reading everything and looking at all the pictures. Now that it’s spring well kind of. Would you be able to do spring cookies butterflys, ladybugs, dragonflys, with your marble technique. I know you’ve done butterflys but I would love to see spring colors. Or somemore cookies done like the sheep and Christmas cookies with the buttercream. Or just be your creative self it all seems to be just beautiful. Thanks for sharing all your ideas.

April 17, 2013 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Aw, thanks, @ Dolores! I will try my best to make more posts and love your suggestions, thank you! Happy decorating to you. xo

17. Dolores
    April 18, 2013 at 1:42 am | Permalink

@ marian:
    Thank you: Just do what you do best, whenever you can. Just looking forward to anything you do.

18. Erin
    April 28, 2013 at 8:05 am | Permalink

I have just started playing around with cookie decorating and I stumbled upon your blog. I have learned so many great tips and I am obsessed with watching and learning as much as I can from you! You’re a great teacher and thanks for sharing your talent!

April 28, 2013 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Awww, thanks, @ Erin! Have fun playing around and learning!

20. Terri
    June 5, 2013 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Aloha Marian! I am attempting to make these cookies and the flowers came out so-so (not nearly as beautiful as yours, not even close), but the last time I tried doing those “dots” around the cookie, when they dried, it dried with a hole in them!! waah!! was my icing to thin? what consistency does it have to be? Thank you so much! 🙂

August 25, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Hi Terri,
      The icing may be a bit runny if it’s doing that. Try thickening it a bit with icing sugar. Hope that helps! xo

21. August 23, 2013 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Love these. Simple and so beautiful!
    Can you re use the transparency sheets, or do you toss it?

August 25, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Hi Asmita,
      Absolutely, you can re-use the transparency sheets – just wash with dish soap and warm water and make sure it’s completely dry before you prepare it for the next batch.

22. September 19, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Wonderful video 🙂 I will have to try the transfer sometime soon, it looks like a lot of fun!

23. Sherie Rodrigues
    March 7, 2014 at 5:06 am | Permalink

Dear Marian. OMG. thank you so much for sharing your talent. beautiful artwork. Kind soul. I will be trying this to show my Granddaughters how clever their Nanny is. Thank you again my dear

March 11, 2014 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Thanks Sherie and Rada! Have fun decorating!

24. Cindy Thomas
    March 30, 2014 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your info. Just starting. Cookies came out great. Will try icing today. Will let you know. Thanks for all the info!

25. susan
    October 8, 2014 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

So cute! Thank you!

26. Milagros
    October 15, 2014 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I would like to know how is the consistency of the oral cing?

October 16, 2014 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Hi Milagros,
      It’s a 10 second icing – There is a video on my YouTube channel which shows it.

27. Natalia
    November 1, 2015 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Hi, if we don’t have the transparency sheets can we substitute with anything else?

28. tayde
    July 7, 2016 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

hermoso pretty and easy

thanks (gracias) swety.

1. By KopyKake Projector Giveaway | Sweetopia on March 10, 2013 at 10:27 pm

[…] If you’d like to see how to use it or see more cookie examples, you can check out my Kopykake Tutorial here, and a video where I use it here. […]

2. […] to give as party favors. These daisy cakes are what would happen if Marian of Sweetopia’s daisy cookies and Sugar Belle’s simple flower cookies got together and had a cookie […]

3. By 10 Cookie Decorating Ideas for Spring | Sweetopia on April 21, 2013 at 11:02 pm

[…] {Video} Daisy Cookie How-To […]

4. […] 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12 Share this:FacebookPinterestTwitterEmailPrint […]

5. By How to Make Lettered Cookies | Sweetopia on September 28, 2014 at 11:02 pm

[…] {Video} How to Make Daisy Cookies […]

6. […] {Video} How to Make Daisy Cookies […]

7. […] with royal icing would be easy (and it can be with a few tricks – I use them in this video here if you’d like to see), but getting predominently perfect circles done neatly can be tricky […]

8. […] Here’s a video on making royal icing transfers. […]