Dec 21

{Video} How to Marble or Swirl Royal Icing

I finally dipped my toe into video blogging; here’s a how-to on marbling, swirling , or feathering royal icing on cookies:

Click here if you can’t see the video.

If you’d like to see more images and information on marbling, click here.

If you’d like to try making these, here’s what you’ll need…

What you’ll need to make marbled decorated cookies:

And it’s about time I made my first video tutorial for the University of Cookie!

I was honored and pleased as punch (yes, I did say pleased as punch), to be invited by Bridget to be a “professor” there.  If you haven’t seen U of C, It’s full of all kinds of super cookie decorating tips from other U of C professors; I recommend you check them out here!

For those of you prefer images to my video, here’s a step-by-step of how cookies are marbled:

Done!

Now that I’ve dipped my toes into the video blogging world, I’ll be doing videos here and there.  Please leave me a comment below letting me know:

1. Tatyana
    December 25, 2010 at 1:13 am | Permalink

Marian,
    This post and video are so helpful. Thank you so much!
    I would love to see everything you do with cookies in videos, especially how to make royal icing.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

2. December 27, 2010 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Having the one consistency for lining and filling is SUCH a great way to do that. I always feel like doing one for outlining and one for filling is such a pain in the butt and one of the reasons I don’t decorate very often. I will HAVE to try this!! Thanks!

3. Maria-Greece
    December 27, 2010 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Dear Mariαn,
    bravo,
    helped me a lot with this course – video!

4. Mimi
    December 27, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Bravo Marian!! You are the best! J’adore !
    I have a question: Your prefer use royal icing or rolled fondant on cookies? thank you

December 28, 2010 at 2:31 am | Permalink

Mimi I definitely prefer royal icing; it’s more fun for me to decorate and I like the look better. I think rolled fondant might be a bit faster though.

5. December 28, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Great Video, I made some for Christmas not really having much to go on, they turned out pretty good, but I think with your tips I can make them even better. You can check out my humble offerings at

Thanks for the great inspiration!

6. December 29, 2010 at 12:21 am | Permalink

I love the video! It is so helpful to see it and be able to have a better understanding. Thanks!

7. December 29, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks for another great tutorial. I love your ornament cookies (note to self: find ornament cookie cutters for next year). One of these days I will actually give it a try and decorate some cookies with royal icing.

8. December 30, 2010 at 6:47 am | Permalink

Dear Marian, It has always been a great pleasure reading your blog and seeing your amazing work. I want to wish you and your family, A Happy New Year! May God Bless you with good health, peace, happiness success and prosperity.
    Best Wishes,
    Rowaida

PS i would love to share with you my Christmas dessert table!

9. December 31, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

@ Anna {Sugarized}:

I can’t wait to try royal icing too. I’m a new reader and Chocolate blogger at GotChocolate.com. I’d love to try royal icing with Chocolate!

Thanks so much. Lovely looking blog!@ Anna {Sugarized}:

10. January 3, 2011 at 7:51 am | Permalink

Great video, can’t wait to see more video tutorials. I’ve never tried the shaking technique for smoothing the icing out. Also do you only use on consistency of icing for both piping and flooding all the time?

January 3, 2011 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Thanks!!

@ Lauren @ Crave. Indulge. Satisfy.: Yes, I do. I used to make a thicker icing for outling, but one consistency really does work, and it’s much faster than preparing two icing consistencies.

12. Patricia
    January 4, 2011 at 9:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing your video tutorial. I always want to know how do you do your “perfect” swiss dots. Mine always end up forming ‘peak’ on the top. maybe you can do a video on that? or how to use kopycake?

13. January 5, 2011 at 12:52 am | Permalink

wow, amazing. seriously beautiful.

14. January 5, 2011 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Your cookies are absolutely beautiful!

15. January 6, 2011 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Just beautiful!

16. January 7, 2011 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

Wow, Amazing blog, i just stumbled upon it and i am really taken a back… lovely photography.. amazing tutorial… looking forward to more posts… just gorgeous

Happy 2011

La Roquette

17. Beckie
    January 10, 2011 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Everything you do is just awesome! Can you tell me where you got your ornament cookie cutters?

January 10, 2011 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Some of them came in this set:

I have so many cutters I’m not 100% sure where I found the rest of my ornaments; I sometimes pick them up a local craft fairs, garage sales, you name it; I’m always on the look-out for them.

This site is great for cutters too though:

19. Rosemary
    January 15, 2011 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Hi! Thank you very much for this video. It’s really impressive and beautiful! I will try to do it :)

20. Beckie
    January 15, 2011 at 11:15 am | Permalink

@ marian:
    Thanks!

21. Erin
    January 23, 2011 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for the video! Your site is so inspirational and it really helped to see a live demonstration!

January 23, 2011 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Thanks everyone for visiting and leaving me comments and feedback! I appreciate every single one of them!

23. Mary-Clare
    February 1, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian

I live in Boston, MA. I love to make gingerbread houses and have been, on a non professional, just for the family and friends level, for about 15 years. I am from Australia originally and they have the most exquisite royal icing floral work imaginable. You prolly have seen some no doubt.

I am so very interested in cake arts. Can you recommend a school here in Boston that teaches what you do and also teaches wedding style decorations?

Thank you…. your work is so inspirational! I love your gingerbread houses… they are simply charming.

24. February 10, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

You were an inspiration in my cookie decorating this week! http://www.thesellers.net/2011/02/operation-cookie-bake/

25. February 11, 2011 at 7:27 am | Permalink

Your marbling video just blew my mind!! I’m bookmarking this for when I make Valentines Day cookies. I’m so excited, thank you for putting this online!!

26. Bree Nichols
    February 22, 2011 at 12:19 am | Permalink

Love your cookies, just beautiful! Can you do a video on food coloring? There are so many new options out there, and I can never get my colors to vary in vibrant shades. They always just end up getting lighter and darker, but still “blah”! I’d love to know about: mixing to get the right color, gels vs. powders, how to use dusting glitters, etc… Your colors are amazingly vibrant, and I always have difficulty getting pastels and jewel tones.

27. jane
    February 28, 2011 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

amazing! so helpful…hadn’t looked at the video…such a great help!

28. Jan Feldmann
    March 17, 2011 at 1:51 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for your generosity in sharing your knowledge and expertise. It was very informative! Thanks again!!!

29. June 8, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Just wanted to say thank you for the tutorial. Inspired some friends and me to try out hand at marbling. I’ve blogged our efforts here: http://somesomeandsome.blogspot.com/2011/06/friends-and-decorated-sugar-cookies.html, but we’ve got a way to go before we’re as good as you! Thank you!

June 8, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Super cute Becky! You ladies are lucky to have a group of friends who do activities together such as this. So inspiring!
      You all did a great job on them – some real creativity! If you need help with consistency, there is a video with the 10 second rule you may have seen (which helped me when I first began decorating.. the rule that is lol. Try the thicker consistency). Or, try practicing by doing the outlines first, let them set for 15 minutes while you do outlines of other cookies, and then fill them in.
      Either way, I’m so glad your lovely group tried cookie decorating! It’s definitely become a stress-reliever, and a fun, creative outlet for me, and I’m so glad to see that it was (hopefully) the same for you!

30. June 8, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

@ marian:
    Thank you for the advice on the ten second rule. I look forward to trying again. I’ve got your Christmas cookie ideas to aim for, so that gives me a few months… Thank you again!

31. Lorena Cáceres (Chile)
    June 30, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Great Tutorial!! Beautiful!!! thanks for the tips, my cookies will look wonderful, Going strait away to practice this technique!!
    Thanks again!

32. Sara
    December 12, 2011 at 12:25 am | Permalink

Ahh! I will have to make more gingerbread cookies now just so I can try this out! Thank you!

33. Heidy Rubinstein
    December 17, 2011 at 5:36 am | Permalink

Love your videos and tutorials!!!
    Thanks for teaching us.

34. Montana
    January 9, 2012 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Wow. I’m 12 and I loveeeee to cook! And I’ve been searching how to this for like a long time! Thanks so much canttt waiittt to try it! Thanks so much!

35. Nasreen
    February 12, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Firstly, I love your tutorial, really helpful and your work is excellent.

I have started making biscuits, it’s a Mauritian recipe, basically a two shortbreads jammed together then iced on top and sides with pink icing. Please can you help me with how I can ice the sides neatly without leaving any biscuit showing. I am also doing heart shaped ones which is more trickier in getting the icing coated all the way round.

February 12, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink
  37. Daphy
    February 15, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian!

I just came across your website via pinterest! I love all your video tutorials! Especially this one :)

38. Patricia Rolon
    March 14, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

you really help me a lot with thw video tutorial

39. August 17, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I am so impressed with the ease of how you have explained your recipe. I don’t think I will have any problems.
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipes with the Pinterest community.
    Loretta

40. Suzy Gillum
    December 15, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Do you have a video that shows hoe to use edible transfers on a cookie? Like a company logo for example? Thanks!

December 15, 2012 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

HI @ Suzy Gillum: Here’s one where I make an RI transfer. Hope it helps!

Thanks for your comments ladies. xo

42. Laura
    December 16, 2012 at 4:44 am | Permalink

I just wanted to say a great big THANK YOU for you and your wonderful blog. You are truly an insparation to me with your cookies designs. Now I can make sugar cookies and have them ready for the holidays. Thank again Marian

43. Charlene Glover
    December 20, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Your videos are so helpful! Thank you so much for doing what you do! I would love to see a video on how you get such clean edges on your cookies, no spreading, just amazing. Happy Holidays!

44. Emily
    January 8, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Hi Marian – first of all thanks so much for these videos! I took my very first stab at Royal Icing for Christmas and the icing was the perfect consistency. People thought I had been making these decorated cookies for years. :) I have a timing question – I only had #2 tips so I would outline and flood the cookie using a #2. This worked fine, but it obviously takes a long time to flood a larger cookie with this smaller tip so on the marbled ones, the icing was already starting to dry a bit. So do you switch your tips between outlining and flooding or do you have multiple bags with different tips? #2 tips weren’t an issue on the cookies that weren’t marbled since the first color had to dry anyway. Thanks again! (I’m also going to post a tip on the sugar cookie recipe for those of us living in the tropics.)

January 20, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your comments, @ Laura and @ Charlene Glover!

Sorry I’m only getting to this now, @ Emily! I’m going through a pile of emails still from Christmas (!) and comment notifications are part of those emails…
    Okay, so for medium sized cookies where I outline with a 2, I don’t switch the tips, I just press the piping bag a lot harder to squeeze the icing out faster. For cookies that are so large that one side would start to dry while I’m still flooding (with a #2 tip), I use a #3 or 4 tip for both outlining and flooding. If it’s such a large cookie, I don’t really need a fine tip like #2 to outline (because the cookie is larger). Hopefully that helps you!

46. Emily
    January 23, 2013 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Thanks Marian! Can’t wait to try it on Valentine’s cookies. Cookie cutters and disco dust just arrived in the mail. :)

47. Carolina
    January 23, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Gracias por este maravilloso tutorial

48. Tabaiba
    January 27, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

realmente fantástico…! gracias.

49. Maria Sarmento
    February 2, 2013 at 7:49 am | Permalink

Thank you very much for your tutorials. They helps me a lot. Hugs from Portugal.

50. March 19, 2013 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

i have never decorated cookies…i am really not even a baker but i wanted to try your marbling.

more video tutorials please. there was a swirl of color cookie-can’t figure out how to do it. help please.

you are amazing.