Dec 08

Edible Ink Image Christmas Cookies

I made these last year but was too tired to post about them before Christmas, so here they finally are.  (Thank you snow days for giving me time!).  I’ll be showing you a visual step-by-step later.

First I have to say that I really don’t normally do orders; mainly cookies for family and friends.  The one person I have a hard time saying no to is my future sis-in-law; she’s asked me to make some things for her company the past few Christmases, like the edible ink Christmas cookies in this post, and these 20 gingerbread houses.

Cookie Decorating Directory and Map

I really don’t have time for orders though, so have set up a Cookie Decorating Directory to help those of you looking to order cookies, to find a decorator.  Click here or on the chocolate chip cookie at the top right hand corner of the blog to see the directory.

For those of you looking to get on the directory & map, complete the registration form here (It’s really easy!).  I turn away orders on a consistent basis and would love to recommend decorators to my readers.

As for how to make edible ink decorated cookies, I’ve got another post about it but will show a basic step-by-step here as well.

How to Make Edible Ink Image Christmas Cookies

Before decorating:

• Sugar cookie recipe here. Gingerbread recipe here.
  • Edible ink images printed on wafer paper are from Fancy Flours.
  • Cut cookie shapes according to image size & shape.  I used a rectangular cutter from Fancy Flours.

Ready to decorate:

1. Outline your cookie in white royal icing. (Piping tips #3 or #4 for larger cookies).  Recipe for icing here.

2. Flood cookie.

3. Shake gently.

Shhh!  Here’s a secret.  I don’t worry about how neat my edges are too much because I know I’m going to cover them with an icing border.

4. Let dry.  The best way to see if they’re completely dry is to put an extra cookie aside which you can test by biting into the cookie or pressing with the tip of your finger.

*{Note: You can apply the wafer paper or frosting sheets to wet icing as well.  This method is quicker and not as sticky, however, sometimes the edges curl up a bit.  Buuut, if you’re doing a nice thick icing border that may cover the curling up}.

5. Gently cut out wafer paper image.

6. Apply clear corn syrup to the back of the wafer paper.  I like using a foam brush Have a damp cloth nearby to wipe your hands as they can get sticky.

7. Apply image, gently smoothing over the surface all the way to the edges with clean, dry fingers.

8. Flip cookie over unto clean parchment paper for 15 minutes, to help image set.

9. Using a #14-18 star tip (your preference), pipe a scalloped edge around the borders with thick royal icing.

All done!

You’re welcome to leave comments below if you’d like to share some tips and ideas and I’d love to see some of your edible ink image cookies if you’d like to share pics on my facebook page here.

Happy decorating!

1. November 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Those are so pretty. What a cool idea. I love the old school photos.

2. Janet Golden
    November 10, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

@ marian:
    Hi, All looks so lovely. I have eaten some cookies with royal icing on them. The icing is extremely hard and not good tasting. What can be done about that? Thank you.

3. Annamarie Purcell
    January 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Marian,

I am trying to get my cookie edges o look like your. I have the scalloped edge after you bake your cookie to you re cut it? They look great!

January 11, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

HI @ Sheri:
    I’m sorry I don’t do orders, but these people do;

Thanks, @ Jessica Fox: It’s possible they don’t carry those exact ones any more, but Fancy Flours does have other pretty wafer papers.

Thanks, @ Meg @ Sweet Twist!

@ Janet Golden: I like it combined with a cookie. I can’t speak for the recipe you tried, but if you try my royal icing and don’t like it paired with a cookie, perhaps try a glaze or buttercream.

@ Annamarie Purcell: If you want crisp cookie edges, these tips help;
    If you meant the scalloped icing edges, I used an #18 star tip for the icing.

5. Cindy
    March 7, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

I have a few questions for you:
    1. I saw the list of printers, I would just like to find a reasonable printer that takes the food coloring ink and prints well on the frosting sheets, What do you have and what was the total cost of your setup?
    2. Will the printible image ahere to a cookie that has been frosted or dipped in chocolate? i.e the melting wafers.
    3. When printing images to the frosting, how long do you have to wait before you cut out the image?
    4. What were the size of your Christmas Cookies? How many printed images were you able to have on one frosting sheet?
    5. What is the limit per images on a frosting sheet? What size does the images have to be so that they are legible?

6. Janet Golden
    March 7, 2013 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian!
    Finally, I found this link again! Please tell me where to buy these white boxes with the brown ribbon on them. Are they about 6 x 6 x 6, or larger? I would love to know where to find them. Thank you mucho.

7. March 16, 2013 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

HI @ Cindy:
    Gosh it’s been so long, I can’t remember what the cost of my set up was, sorry. These specific ones came already printed, and I think you know that, just mentioning in case.

Yes, they adhere to chocolate with clear corn syrup. I tried it here:

Cut out right away.

The size of these was: http://www.fancyflours.com/product/Cookie-Cutter-Rectangle-3-inch-X-4-inch-Copper/Geometric-shape-cookie-cutters

Not sure about the answer for the last question.

Hope that helps!

March 17, 2013 at 12:31 am | Permalink

@ Janet Golden: They are 8 by 8 by 6 and are from http://www.brpboxshop.com/

9. Janet Golden
    March 20, 2013 at 1:02 am | Permalink

@ marian:
    Wow!
    I had no idea that you would ever check this older tutorial! I can’t thank you enough!!!!
    Hugs…

10. March 20, 2013 at 9:42 am | Permalink

@ Janet Golden: No problem!
    I actually get a notification for all comments, so any post you comment on I’ll see. :)

11. Egle
    May 28, 2013 at 8:53 am | Permalink

hi Marian,

i need some advice from an expert : )

i’ve tried some different printed edible papers on icing. i let the icing dry and then applied edible paper on it using corn syrup. but the problem is that when i eat the cookie i get the feeling of paper-like skin on it. i don’t have that problem when the same sheet is applied to a wet cake cream. somehow it merges with cream and no skin or sheet is felt while eating.

what kind of frosting sheets should i use to get the best results with cookies and icing? could you recommend the best paper sheet suppliers or manufacturers. thank you!

May 28, 2013 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Hi @ Egle: I’m not sure if I’m an expert on this, as I only do it occasionally, but I’ve had luck with Ticings and Kopykake frosting sheets. Hope you like them! xo

13. Holly
    June 3, 2013 at 12:56 am | Permalink

I am making cookies for a wedding coming up in 2 weeks. My concern is how do you wrap the cookies individually without risking damaging the sticker?

14. September 15, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Great information. Lucky me I came across your blog by accident (stumbleupon).
    I have bookmarked it for later!

15. Carrie
    November 5, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Hi There, These cookies are absolutely beautiful and would love to try and make these for Christmas. How far in advance can these be made and how do you store them? Thank you

16. Marguerite
    June 17, 2014 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Once again, I’m blown away by the beauty of your cookies. I am just a beginner and would like to know if you always need to wrap your cookies individually before stacking them in boxes. Thanks for all those great links too!

17. July 23, 2014 at 4:42 am | Permalink

Finally, I found this link again! http://iliad.bioskop.fr Please tell me where to buy these white boxes with the brown ribbon on them.

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sweetopia, Mandy Candy Wong , myhuong huynh, Mira, Callye Alvarado and others. Callye Alvarado said: RT @sweetopia: Vintage-style Christmas Edible Ink Cookies – How To http://fb.me/zbUBHuj2 [...]

2. [...] a little less neat than my second method, which I’ll be sharing in this post, and have also shown here.If you’d like to make logo cookies too, you’ll need:Sugar Cookie Recipe here or [...]

3. By Tea Party Decorated Cookies | Sweetopia on August 9, 2011 at 6:45 am

[...] you’d like to try making them, a full tutorial on applying edible ink images can be found here and here, however, here’s a quick pictorial on how I applied the edible ink image as [...]

4. [...] you’d like to make these, there are detailed tutorials on making edible image cookies HERE and HERE. I used a gingerbread cookie recipe, but sugar cookies would work too. {Click on the [...]

5. [...] meantime, can you believe these edible ink cookies? They’re too gorgeous to eat! Thanks to Sweetopia.net for the instructions and recipe, and link for purchasing the itsy [...]

6. By Impresión Comestible | IFeelCook on August 24, 2012 at 5:58 pm

[...] link de Bake at 350, éste y este otro link de Sweetopia pueden ser útiles a la hora de imprimir imágenes y hacer este [...]