Dec 12

(Video) How to Pipe Royal Icing Cable Knit Mitten Cookies

cable-knit-cookies-step-by-step-video

‘Tis the season for cookie decorating! (No matter that I love doing it all year round). I’ve been playing around with using royal icing to create different textures, and although I still need some practice with this one, here’s my version of cable-knit decorated hat and mitten cookies. This post is a short one too, I’m already thinking about the next one. In case you’d like to make these, here’s a little video and recipes, tools etc. you’ll need below:

sweetopia-maple-sugar-cookies

If  you’d like to make these, you’ll need:

Cookie Recipe and Cookie Cutters

You can find the maple sugar cookie recipe HERE. There are other cut-out cookie recipes here.

The snowman cutter can be found here, and the mitten & hat cookie cutters can be found here.

video-tutorial_decorating-cable-knit-mittens-and-hat-cookies

Royal Icing

You can find my favorite royal icing recipe here. The consistency of icing is key for easy decorating. Click here to see a YouTube video on finding the right icing thickness.

video-step-by-step-_-decorating-cable-knit-cookies

Decorating Items

What you’ll need (these are affiliate links):

hat-and-mitten-decorated-royal-icing-cookies

Decorating Steps

This video on outlining and flooding is a good place to start if you’re new to decorating cookies with royal icing. These cookie decorating basics YouTube videos may also be helpful to get you started.

knitted-cable-hat-cookie-tutorial

If  you have any questions or comments please feel free to drop me a line below in the comment section or on social media. You can find me on FacebookGoogle+InstagramPinterestTwitter and YouTube.

Enjoy baking and nibbling on these!

1. Maria Theresia
    December 15, 2016 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

tWow….I wondered how to get the pattern. You amaze me every time!!!
    Beautiful handwork! And what a steady hand! It blows me away.

2. Jody K Gustafson
    July 26, 2018 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Am I seeing this correctly… Did you decorate the backside of the cookie? They are so cute though. I hope my hand strength allows me to attempt these soon. I’m always looking for ways to improve my skills so I truly appreciate these tutorials. Thank you so much for sharing your talents and knowledge with us all. ❤️

July 26, 2018 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Hi Jody,
      Yes, I did decorate the backside of the cookie. 🙂 Thank you so much for your message and have fun decorating! xo

3. December 17, 2018 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Your work is beautiful! Do you give workshops anywhere? Please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Tommie Blackwell

December 18, 2018 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Tommie, sorry, I don’t give workshops but perhaps will in the future. I will share a blog post about it when I do. Merry Christmas! xo

1. By Chocolate Royal Icing Recipe | Sweetopia on November 1, 2018 at 6:58 pm

[…] around the perimeter of the cookie and pipe the “knit” using tip #2. I have a similar video here if you’d like to check it […]