Dec 30

{Video} How to Make Simple Fondant or Gumpaste Cut-Outs & Wintry New Years Decorated Cookies

A blanket of newly fallen, fluffy, white snow – fresh, clean and magical. An air of hope and symbolic of new beginnings. Inspired by the snow and excited about 2012, I made these wintry new years cookies and have shared a how-to video on making them:

{Video} Making Simple Fondant or Gumpaste Shapes

CLICK HERE if you can’t see the video.

These cookies covered with royal icing, fondant flowers and snowflakes are really quite simple to make. If you prefer a written tutorial rather than video, here’s a link to a post on making daisies using the same procedure.

The snowman isn’t too difficult either. There’s a video on how to make him near the end of this post.

The last little bit of leftover gingerbread dough I had in the freezer was used to make him b.t.w. The snowflakes, flowers and numbers are sugar cookies.

If you’d like to make these, below is a list of everything you’ll need. Have fun decorating!

What You’ll Need to Make Snowflake or Flower Cookies:

If you’d like to see how I made the snowman and number cookies pictured here, here’s a little video:

{Video} How to Make Snowman and Number Cookies

CLICK HERE if you can’t see the video.

I found this adorable snowman image on the internet HERE. It looks like scrapbooking paper to me, but I’m not sure. I need your help finding the source please… If you recognize this image and know where it comes from, please let me know so that I can give them credit. I don’t normally post something unless I can give credit where credit is due, and I thought I’d be able to find the source by the time I posted this. I’d be really happy if I could find the artist!

B.t.w., the sparkly wreath in the photos is from Holly’s Sweets & Eats.

If you’d like to make the cookies, here’s a list of what you’ll need:

What You’ll Need to Make Snowman and Number Cookies:

Decorated New Years Cookies Bagged in Celophane

And if you’re inspired by a snowy theme too, these little meringue snowmen we made at school last week are fun and easy to make. It’s as simple as piping two balls of meringue on top of each other with a very large, round piping tip, baking for two hours at a low temperature and adding the details with royal icing. We had a little trouble with the meringue bleeding, and although it tasted caramelized and delicious, that’ll be a new experiment for me to figure out how to avoid. If you’ve got tips, I’d love to hear!

If you have any questions or comments, please leave me a comment below, on Facebook or twitter.

Hope you’re excited about 2012, and snow or no snow, fresh starts and new beginnings! What are you looking forward to this year?

Happy New Year to you!

1. Mary
    December 30, 2011 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

So pretty! :)

2. December 30, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Adorable!

3. December 30, 2011 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

so cute, because of you I went out and bought some fondant cutters myself. I love how easy they are, I have the snow flakes too and love them!

4. December 30, 2011 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

All are beautiful – and I love, love, love the snowman!

5. monica
    December 30, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

I really love your tutorials…you are the best teacher:-)
    You have the best cookies blog that I have seen!!Thanks for sharing

6. December 30, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

So cute! Love it! Thank you very much for share with us! Today I get my copykake as a new year gift. Send from the States to Turkey, where I live! :) so happy but it’s all your fault! I’m in love with your site and your works! Happy new year, full of joy!

7. Pat Kuhn
    December 30, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

according to the link you sent for the snowman it is part of a set of window stickers. I think it is the cutest snowman and makes a very cute cookie!

8. December 30, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

monica wrote:

I really love your tutorials…you are the best teacher:-)
    You have the best cookies blog that I have seen!!Thanks for sharing

9. Leonie
    December 30, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

How refreshing to see some cool biscuits and cool comments about your fresh snow as where I live in Australia we are sitting around in 90+% humidity with overcast skies due to the cyclone off the coast in the northern parts of our country – even thinking about cooking makes me sweat! However we have all enjoyed a lovely christmas with all the traditional trimmings, including gingerbread houses, cookies and pudding, all covered in “snow” (sugar) despite the heat – we’re tragics I know but it is/was Christmas. Love your site and enjoy your emails.

10. December 30, 2011 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian: I always enjoy your blog and videos. I’m just curious why you choose to use cornstarch to dust your board. I’ve always used powdered sugar. Is there some advantage to the cornstarch or is it just personal preference?

11. Maria
    December 30, 2011 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

I love your way of sharing all your knowlige and talents.
    very cute snowman and snowflake cookies.
    Happy New Year to you Marian!

12. December 30, 2011 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

@ Mary, @ Anna: Thanks!
    @ sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more: That’s great! I’d love to see some pics of what you make if you’d like to share.
    @ Anne, @ monica: Thanks so much!
    @ Denise: Oh how exciting! I can’t imagine how expensive the shipping must have been! I’m sure you will have fun though. Please share some photos if you’d like to. xo
    @ Pat Kuhn: That’s funny, it was an image with a fluorescent light ad with the snowman underneath. Will go check it out. Thanks!
    Oh @ Leonie, how wonderful! I’d make gingerbread houses etc. as well, no matter what, but also think it would be so neat to have the warm weather you have down there. I am a bit jealous of your climate and country! It’s on my list of ‘must-see’ places. =) Happy holidays!

@ D.J.: I guess I’m a creature of habit – I was just taught that way at the Bonnie Gordon College, although I do mention icing sugar (powdered sugar) as an alternative. (I use it if I run out of cornstarch). The school is where I learned about the little cornstarch ‘pouch’ as well. In terms of why they used it… I never thought to ask! Hmm… I know icing sugar has cornstarch IN it… maybe it’s ‘drier’ somehow, or tasteless? I will definitely share if I find out, and if you do, I’d love to hear back from you. Happy holidays to you!

@ Maria: Thanks! To you as well! xo

13. Tammy
    December 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Your cookies are fantastic!!! I love that you are willing to show us how you do it. Very talented!!

14. Andi
    December 30, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Stunning as always! Your elegant creations always take my breath away and inspire me like no other. You rock!

15. NAtoya
    December 30, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

you are truly awesome!

16. December 31, 2011 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Wonderful Marian, as always!! Thank you for sharing and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

December 31, 2011 at 5:22 am | Permalink

@ Tammy, @ Andi, @ NAtoya, @ Francesca: Thank you and Happy New Year to you!

18. December 31, 2011 at 7:00 am | Permalink

Great videos!! I love your cookies. The snowman is sooo cute :)
    Happy New Year!

19. December 31, 2011 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Marian, Happy New Year to you! And thank you for the WONDERFULLY entertaining tutorial with the happiest music. SO sweet, so different, and so special. Thank you for sharing all your creativity with us.

xoxo

December 31, 2011 at 8:21 am | Permalink

@ Gail: Thank you so much Gail! Happy New Year to you! xoxo

21. December 31, 2011 at 8:37 am | Permalink

All so very genius! Oh my goodness, that snowman!! I just posted a link on edible crafts :) .

December 31, 2011 at 8:52 am | Permalink

@ meaghan (the decorated cookie): Thank you so much! Happy New Years Meaghan!

23. December 31, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

you know Ilove that merangue snowman in the bag marian. Snowmen happen to be what I collect. Although I am very picky about my snowmen. As one should be. Kinda like the man you choose to spend your life with. LOL Really really picky about my snowmen and that lil one in the bag made the cut. Actually the KOPYKAKE one made the cut too. I like that you just did the brown and white with his lil cold red nose. Very cute idea. But love love love the one in the bag. kinda likea lil snow globe effect going on there is what ithought when isaw it then I thought that iwished I had one to eat before the New yr came in. Oh well meringue is not so high in calories and a nice winter icon. not just for Christmas. but would be cute fora kidssnowday. You dont have many of those snow days do you??/ LOL. Nice for a kids snow day when they come in from being out in the snow on a day off from school because of the snow. Served up with some warm cocoa after sledding snowball fights and tag football i nthe snow. Think I might have to do that if we geta snow day. Wish we would get more here in Nc. Actually this time last year e had our share. to the date. I dont missthough the months and months of knee deep snow from my upbringing in my teenage yrs in upstate NY on Seneca Lake. I do miss the beauty but dont miss hunting for Easter Eggs in the snow with my lil sis. Speaking of Easter eggs thought I might mention…

For the flowers that you made forthe cookiesFor those who do not have or want to use an egg carton or if you do not have the molds. I can tell you that from my cake experience(which I have more of than cookies) get some plastic Easter eggs that you fill with candy for the kids for egg hunts. They now come not just in colors for Easter but for all occassions. Open them up and put your fondant or gumpaste flowers in that or those. You can close them up too or double up by using both ends ofthe plastic eggs. I like to use the different size eggs(plastic) they are so economical and you actually can close them up with your cutouts inside in case you worryabout critters. Dont have that problem but also great for traveling with them if you are baking in a commune kitchen. One more thing in case others did not know you can turn your fondant into gumpaste just by adding tylose. it actually pretty much is what ever you prefer. I think tylose makes it easy to have just fondant or home made fondant on hand and if you need gumpaste Viola tylose to the rescue to make gumpaste. K long enough. Hope you have the very best new Years Eve. Doing anything special??? Happy New years to marian the best teacher Ever. mehgan you are awesome too. Another site to marvel over. I love your book. marion needsa book deal pronto!!!!!!!! We are waiting patiently. xoxox Stacey

24. December 31, 2011 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

@ Marian (Sweetopia):

Here is a link, I made some cut outs like yours and I also made printer cookies, I learned it all from you here:)

25. Tatyana
    December 31, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

I love you new videos and all of your creatoins. You are so talented.
    Happy New Year!

26. December 31, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

All of the cookies are so beautiful! Happy New Year!

January 1, 2012 at 7:18 am | Permalink

As one should be @ Stacey. Picky about our snowmen. *Love it!* You make me smile! I’m glad you like the meringue snowman. I think he needs a scarf to hide the bleeding, but hopefully the next recipe we use won’t have bleeding. Here are some pics of the other ones we made at school:
    They kind of look like snowman/ghosts. :-) But the kids loved them and they were so much fun to give out. (We gave a bunch out to the staff).

Oh and yes, we had 4 snow days by this time last year, and this year none. =( They would be fun (and easy) to make for a snow day. Let me know if you figure out the bleeding issue please.

Thank you for the flower former drying ideas and the tylose tip! Happy new year morning to you!

Thanks and happy new year 2012 @ Tatyana and @ Christina!

28. January 1, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Adorable!!!

29. Ana Lara
    January 1, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Love your blog and your tutorials. I have learned a lot with your videos and tips… Your are the best making goods and decorating!! God bless you every day =)

30. January 2, 2012 at 5:06 am | Permalink

Mariaaan…because i dont have internet in my new apt. yet, THIS is holding me up from seeing your videos and posts like RIGHT when you post them LOL..
    Ohmy what a great Monday, a great day start work with: a lovely sweetopia post with video(S!) – it makes me just sit here with my mouth wide open haha.. i love your talent, you already know. you inspire me to work hardddd this year on my cookie skills haha..
    Thanks SO MUCH for this awesome post.

MUCH LOVE and Happy New Year sweets!!
    niner :-)

31. January 3, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Marian!
    That is a very valuable video. After watching it, I definitely know how to do it. Do you make your own gum paste? You must. I will look on your site. I love winter themed cookies and have snowflake cookies on my site much different than yours… but pretty, too. I think this would be a fun project for me to do with a group of young friends for a wedding or baby shower.
    Happy 2012 and thank you for the sparkling inspiration!
    Valerie

January 6, 2012 at 8:05 am | Permalink

@ A Canadian Foodie: Thanks so much! I actually don’t make my own gumpaste… I used to use Wilton but now discovered Ace of Cakes gumpaste at Michael’s. It’s waaaay better than Wilton – nicer texture and an improvement in taste.
    Happy 2012 and hope to meet you at a conference some day!

33. January 6, 2012 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Complete adorableness!! the video is amazing..inspires me to practice more on keeping a STEADY hand while piping :o ) I LOVE the cookies!

34. Carolina
    January 12, 2012 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Thanks!!!!

35. February 10, 2012 at 5:15 am | Permalink

I get my Copycake two days ago! I’m so happy! The company was so nice and follow me with all the procedure of shipping, and no, compare of how much expensive they sell here, with the shipping cost was not so much like you think! :) Thank you again! I will love to share my cookies photo, but no idea how I can do it, via Facebook!? Thank you for the beautiful inspiration website! ♥♥♥

February 19, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Yay @ Karen @ Sugartown Sweets!

My pleasure @ Carolina.

Hi @ Denise: Oh that’s so wonderful!! Please, yes, share them on my facebook page!! Can’t wait!

37. Juli
    August 27, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Marian, all your work is just absolutely beautiful! Im so happy to have found you on Utube and this site.I love making cookies, but I get into it more-so now and making cookie bouquets and baskets. I want to know EVERYTHING….LOL
    Thanx so much for being here and being so kind in sharing.

38. Katie
    November 25, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian!
    I bought a kopykake projector, and it seems that my light isn’t strong enough to project the image. I’m using the bulb that came with, and my pictures are on a heavier paper. Do have any tips? I watched your video on the projector & I’m out of ideas :/
    Thanks for the help!
    Katie

November 25, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

My pleasure, @ Juli, thank you!

@ Katie: If that happens to me, I outline the image with a black pen to make the outline more noticeable. Hope that helps!

40. Afsheen saleem
    August 24, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

hi Marian,
    when our icing for outlining and filling are of different colors do we have to wait for the outline to dry, or can we just continue even if it’s wet?
    thnx

August 25, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Hi Afsheen,
      If the color is darker, like a brown or black, I do let it dry for a few hours at least (and in a room with a dehumidifier and A/C if it’s summer time and humid outside), and later do the lighter colors. That way bleeding of colors doesn’t happen.

41. Afsheen saleem
    August 24, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Marian, do you have the recipe of the fondant/gum paste you use for decorating your cookies.
    thnx once again :)

August 25, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Hi Afsheen, I used a store bought one by Ace of Cakes actually! :)

42. Adele
    November 28, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Hello Marian, I would like to ask you about that meringue snowmen, can you please post a recipe? I would really appreciate it, because my first try was not very good… Thank you very much!

November 30, 2013 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Hi Adele,
      I will try! I still have to work out a few kinds (the neck of the snowman… have to work on that). In the meantime, have you tried Martha Stewart’s meringue recipe? I’ll bet it works! :) xo

43. Tomi
    December 4, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks for video!!!

1. By St. Patrick's Day Decorated Cookies | Sweetopia on March 11, 2012 at 11:04 pm

[...] 2. Massage yellow gel coloring into your fondant. Depending on how many cookies you use, you will need more or less fondant. For 3 pot-of-gold cookies and 3 belt buckles, a golf ball size amount worked well. If you need a how to on rolling fondant or gumpaste out, please see the video HERE. [...]

2. [...] a basic video tutorial on making gumpaste flowers, click here, but I’ll be the first one to tell you, it’s no where near as good as the online course [...]

3. By To the Nines: Christmastime 2012 on December 9, 2012 at 11:19 am

[...] have fallen head over heels for this snowman cookie. I want to be best friends with it. We will go everywhere together and have secrets. There’s [...]

4. [...] Snowman cookie (bottom right)- Sweetopia [...]

5. [...] Simple Fondant Flower {Video} [...]

6. By How to Make a Gingerbread House | Sweetopia on December 11, 2013 at 4:48 pm

[...] A how to video on the fondant snowflake (made using a medium sized PME snowflake cutter, can be found here. [...]