Aug 18

{Video} How to Decorate Squirrel or Chipmunk Cookies

How to Decorate Squirrel (or Chipmunk) Cookies

If you can’t see the video CLICK HERE.

Hi there!

As much as I’d love summer to go on and on and on and on , autumn has its own sense of charm and perks I’m looking forward to enjoying. Among those are fall themed sweets like these pumpkin spice squirrel, mushroom and pumpkin cookies. I’ll start off with the squirrel video today, and the pumpkin and mushroom videos are coming soon. What fall treats are you thinking of making?

If you’d like to make these, here’s what you’ll need:

Cookie Recipe

These are pumpkin spice cut-out cookies; you can find the recipe here. There are other cut-out cookie recipes here.

The design and cookie cutter is by American Sweets, and can be found in How Sweet is That? ‘s shop here. By the way, to me the design looks like a chipmunk, but the cutter can be used for either a squirrel or chipmunk.

Royal Icing

You can find my favorite royal icing recipe here. The consistency of icing is key for easy decorating. Click here to see a YouTube video on finding the right icing thickness.

Decorating Items

What you’ll need:

Decorating Steps

This video on outlining and flooding is a good place to start if you’re new to decorating cookies with royal icing. These cookie decorating basics YouTube videos may also be helpful to get you started.

Besides the video tutorial on YouTube which I’ve shared here, I’ve also shared a few how-to videos on Instagram, which you can see here.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to drop me a line below in the comment section or on social media. You can find me on FacebookGoogle+InstagramPinterestTwitter and YouTube.

If you’d like a video tutorial on the pumpkin cookie, click here.

Happy baking and decorating!

1. Cecilia
    August 19, 2016 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Marian these are sooo cute!! I’m very happy you’re back posting! I always love all the details you have! Have a nice weekend!

xoxo

2. Maria Theresia
    August 19, 2016 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian,cutest squirrels! The pumpkin looks real. And the mushrooms like in the fairytales. … cute though!
    Love your work!

3. Anna
    August 22, 2016 at 5:59 am | Permalink

These are the most adorable squirrels I’ve ever seen!!! You did such a great job decorating them!!! And the cutter itself is such a beautiful shape!
    I was looking for a squirrel cutter for some time but in my country there in no nice squirrel cutters available 🙁 (only two or three shapes but I like neither of them). Probably this one is not available in my country either but just to be sure, can you, please, tell me what’s the brand of it and/or where have you bought it?
    Thank you for all the inspiration you give us 🙂

August 22, 2016 at 8:04 am | Permalink

Hi Anna,
      The link to the cutter is under the title, “Cookie Recipe”. I’m glad you like these and I hope you have fun making them too!

Thanks for the comments ladies!

4. Anna
    August 23, 2016 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Oh, I’m sorry, I haven’t noticed. Thank you for the quick reply anyway 🙂

5. Marian
    August 23, 2016 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

No problem! Happy decorating!

6. Kate
    September 2, 2016 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Thank you! I wanted to do a squirrel and these are terrific!

1. […] If you’d like to see video tutorials of the decorated cookies in these photos, click on the one you’re interested in… Pumpkin Cookies or Chipmunk Cookies. […]