Jun 16

Tennis Racket Cookies

Hi there!

I’m back to baking (especially cookies) and so looking forward to sharing some new recipes I’ve been working on. Summer is here (unofficially) and I thought I’d kick things off with these tennis racket cookies.

One look at these adorable Sugarpova tennis ball gumballs, and I knew I had to make a racket cookie to match.

If you’d like to make the decorated tennis racket cookies, here’s how to make them:

How to Decorate Tennis Racket Cookies

Sugar Cookie Dough

You can find the recipe for the dough here.

Tennis Racket Cookie Cutter

Thanks to Sherry of How Sweet is That for making the custom tennis racket cookie cutter happen. You can find the cutter in her shop, here. For tips on helping your cookies keep their shape, click here.

Royal Icing

You can find my favorite royal icing recipe here. The consistency of icing is key for easy decorating. Click here to see a YouTube video on finding the right icing thickness.

Decorating Steps

What you’ll need:

Step One:

Using a tip #1.5, outline the top section of the tennis racket with 10 second consistency black royal icing. For detailed decorating tips, this tutorial may be helpful for you. Let the black icing dry before you do the next step.

Step Two:

Using a tip #1 and thick, white royal icing, pipe the strings of the racket. The icing should be thick enough that if you dipped a spoon into it and lifted, a stiff peak would be created. For tips on piping lines, see this video here.

Step Three:

Pipe the handle of the racket using 10 second consistency icing and a tip #1.5.

Step Four:

Add a dollop of icing to the tennis racket and attach your gumball.

Note that in the photo above I did the gumball first, but I came to prefer adding the gumball last, in case I needed to shake the cookie a little to help settle the icing on the handle. Shaking the cookie once the gumball was added could break the icing strings.

Done!

These cookies are best packaged in little favour boxes instead of cellophane bags, for better support.

Hope you have fun making them too!

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to drop me a line below in the comment section or on social media. You can find me on FacebookGoogle+InstagramPinterestTwitterYouTube and I just joined Snapchat. (Sweetopia_net if your Snapchat search bar doesn’t find Sweetopia Marian).

Happy decorating!

1. June 17, 2016 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Happy Fridaaaay Marian 🙂
    (well, every day is a Friday, isn’t it?),

are you kidding me…those straight lines, HOW do you doooo that?? That looks amazing!! I love these cookies! Make me want to play Tennis on the XBox again haha.

What a lovely and detailed tutorial, I am sure it helps many decorators – we all appreciate your effort. Praise God for the talent he gave you <3

Much love,
    xoxo

niner

2. Maria Theresia
    June 17, 2016 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Hi Marian, wow…again! Your Tennis racket and balls look real! Amazing straight lines on the racket. What a great idea for the summer to start with!
    Have a wonderful day and summer!

3. Deb Horoshok
    June 17, 2016 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Awesome! They look wonderful. Glad your back! Missed you.

Deb

4. June 17, 2016 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

I love these!! I thought you “photoshopped” those tennis balls in 😉 Saving this one for sure!

5. June 18, 2016 at 9:19 am | Permalink

So cool!

6. Roshini
    June 18, 2016 at 10:48 am | Permalink

They are oh so cute and wonderful! Glad that you are back. missed you sooooo much!

7. Cindy
    July 5, 2016 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Great tutorial! You stated that you outlined the black frame of the tennis racquet with a #1.5 piping tip, yet it appears a LOT thicker that the #1 piping tip that you used for the racquet stings. Are they different brands?

July 6, 2016 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Hi Cindy,

My favorite piping tip to use in general is the #1.5, so I’ll use that for general work. In the outline of the racket I used a #1.5… did an outline (creating the thicker look of the racket) and filled it in. You could use a #4 and do it in one swoop (that would be about the thickness and you’d need to use a good amount of pressure squeezing the icing out), but I find the line isn’t as precise. Hope that helps!

August 21, 2016 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the comments everyone!

9. November 22, 2016 at 8:44 am | Permalink

These are too adorable

1. By Sweetopia » (Video) Rolling Out Cookie Dough on October 1, 2016 at 5:46 pm

[…] more complex shapes, for example with skinnier areas, like these tennis racket cookies, it helps if the dough is a bit soft, otherwise the narrower areas break […]