Jun 13

Father’s Day Toolbox Cookies {How-To and Toolbox Template}

Hello sweet friends!

With Father’s Day just around the corner, I’m ready to share a little toolbox project of the cookie sort with you. Thanks to my husband for designing the toolbox and my friend Niner of Niner Bakes & Blends for putting it into a pretty pdf template I’m sharing with you here.

Before I jump into the tutorial, there are a few important points to know about before beginning the project. First off, it’s important that the cut-out cookie recipe you use as the base for the tool and toolbox hold their shape well. The key to these cookies keeping their shape lies not only in the combination of ingredients (exact measurement in baking is important) and omission of the leavening agent (i.e. baking powder), but in some crucial points in the process. You can find a whole post dedicated to cookies keeping their shape here,

If you’re making these at a time when the humidity in your area is high, having a de-humidifier on in the room you’re working in will help the cookie dry well and prevent icing from bleeding. (You can see mine in the top left of the photo below).

You can find more information on drying cookies here, a post on preventing cookies from bleeding here, and spotting here.

How to Make a Cookie Toolbox

If you’ve ever made a gingerbread house, the process to putting together this cookie toolbox is the same. As with a gingerbread house, the recipe for the base and the icing make a huge difference. You can find the recipes below, as well as a video on how to put a gingerbread house together here. I’ll also share the basics below.

Cookie Recipe

I used gingerbread as the base for my cookies. You can find the recipe for the dough here. If you’d like to try a different cookie base, other recipes can be found here.

Instead of making the handle edible, I found it easier to use a plastic straw. The dimensions of this one are 23 cm long by 0.8 cm wide.

Make sure to make your gingerbread pieces quite thin. Mine are 0.5 cm, but I’d go even a bit thinner next time.

The FULL TEMPLATE for the TOOLBOX can be found by clicking HERE.

Don’t forget to cut holes in the end pieces for the straw or whatever you decide to use as a toolbox handle.

Royal Icing for the Toolbox

You can find my favorite royal icing recipe here. The consistency of icing is key for easy decorating. Click here to see a YouTube video on finding the right icing thickness.

Decorating Steps

What you’ll need if you’re flooding the toolbox walls:

Step 1: If you’d like to flood the walls of the toolbox, outline with a #3 piping tip. I usually flood or fill in my cookies immediately, but for such a large surface area to flood, I let the outline sit for about 5 minutes and then fill in the middle. For detailed decorating tips, this tutorial may be helpful for you.

When you flood the area around the hole for the handle, make sure the icing doesn’t cover the hole at all. Mine did a little bit and I couldn’t push one end of the straw all the way through. Let your pieces dry for 24 hours.

Step 2: The icing used to glue the toolbox pieces together needs to be quite thick. Here’s a video on how to make royal icing for gingerbread houses (same idea as putting together the toolbox). If you have leftover flood icing and you don’t want to make a new batch of icing specifically to put together the toolbox, add enough icing sugar to the flood icing, mix well, and when the icing stands straight up when you dip and pull a spoon out of it (stiff peak), it’s ready to use.

Tint the icing to adhere the cookie pieces together, a similar shade to the cookie color.

Step 3: Adhere the pieces of the cookie toolbox together. See here for a video on how to put a gingerbread house together and follow the same procedure for the four sides. You’ll need to have the straw (or your handle pieces), inserted during assembly. Let the pieces dry and you’re done!

One thing I noticed; next time I’ll use a microplane rasp zester to file down the edges of a cookie if the edges aren’t fully straight, especially for sides sitting on the bottom piece.

How to Decorate Tool Cookies

You can find the recipe for the dough here. If you’d like to try a different cookie base, other recipes can be found here. The tool cookie cutters can be found here.

Royal Icing

You can find my favorite royal icing recipe here. The consistency of icing is key for easy decorating. Click here to see a YouTube video on finding the right icing thickness for cookie flooding.

Decorating Steps

What you’ll need:

Step One: Using a #2 tip, outline the tool shape with royal icing. For detailed decorating tips, this tutorial may be helpful for you.

Step Two: With the same icing, flood, or fill in your shape. If you notice a bit of bump between sections on a tool, it means that I’ve outlined and flooded in sections, waiting 5 minutes to let one section set before going on to the next.

Thank you to Oh Sugar Events for the drill design!

Step Three: Using a piping tip #1.5, pipe white lines on the wet icing base for accents. Let the base dry for at least 6-12 hours.

Step Four: Using a piping tip #1.5, add the finishing line details such as outlines, or dots (on saws, pliers and a small section on the hammer and drill).

Once the cookies have dried for 24 hours (see here for a post on drying), dust some edible luster dust on the grey sections of the cookies for a little sheen.

I noticed after I photographed the tool cookies, that the yellow wasn’t as bright as I’d like it to be, so I just added a little yellow luster dust to deepen the color.

This Cookie Decorating Schedule free printable may also be helpful for you if you’re new to cookie decorating. Spreading the steps out makes the decorating process easier.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to drop me a line below in the comment section or on social media. You can find me on FacebookGoogle+InstagramPinterestTwitter and YouTube.

Happy early Father’s Day to all the father’s out there, and Mom, please don’t tell Dad about this post – the toolbox is my gift to him. ;-D

1. Silvia
    June 14, 2015 at 1:46 am | Permalink

Where did you get those cookie cutters?

June 15, 2015 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Hi Silvia,
      The link is in the post above – in the small paragraph under the title “How to Decorate Tool Cookies”.
      Happy decorating!

2. June 14, 2015 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Wow, Marian, these cookies are so beautiful!! Amazing. I loved them since I saw some of them on IG a few days ago ^^ The toolbox is super cute! Such a great cookie work.
    xoxo

3. Amy
    June 14, 2015 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

What an amazing idea! Love every part of this project!!!

4. June 14, 2015 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Wow! Amazing as always.

5. Roshini
    June 14, 2015 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Wow! that’s amazing… it will sure bring a smile on any Dad

6. Christine
    June 14, 2015 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Hi Mariam

These tool box cookies are amazing. Can you let me know where you bought the cookie cutters from.

Thanks

7. Meredin
    June 14, 2015 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

I found these cookie cutters on Amazon, they are about 5″ tall each. It seems like these might be the same ones she used. I could be wrong though. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002VBNV5C/ref=yo_ii_img

8. Marian N
    June 14, 2015 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Another home run Marian!

9. June 15, 2015 at 5:21 am | Permalink

Wow wow wow wooooow!
    I am simply amazed by your post, Marian.
    You always make me go WOW haha..even though I know all of your creations but you always amaze me with your talent.

I bet your dad will absolutely LOVE this toolbox.
    HOW AWESOME is such a gift. He won’t expect this (even better) 🙂

Can’t wait to hear about his reaction. Such a detailed post which took a lot of effort. We all appreciate the hard work you put into this. God bless and speak later hihi 🙂

Niner <3

June 15, 2015 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for your comments everyone! xo

11. June 16, 2015 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Oh…what a wonderful idea! Can’t wait to see your Dad’s face. Beautiful work again. Love it!

12. June 16, 2015 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much Mom! I hope he loves it too. 🙂

13. Cindi
    June 16, 2015 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for this template. I am having a bit of difficulty with measuring out the end pieces. What did you use to make the curve top so even on them??? Thanks!

• June 16, 2015 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Hi Cindi,

Use an exacto knife (never been used for purposes other than food), and cut in on a 45 degree angle instead of straight up and down. Make little cuts and then pat the jagged edges down with your finger (if there are any. There were with mine). Hope that helps!

14. Cindi
    June 16, 2015 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

15. Cindi
    June 16, 2015 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Sorry, but I forgot to ask; is the template meant to be printed and cut as is or do I have to make adjustments before printing.

16. Kathy
    June 17, 2015 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Love this tool box. Thank you for the detailed tutorial.

17. Anita Barker
    June 22, 2015 at 8:04 am | Permalink

This is a work of art. Thank you so much for sharing.

18. June 22, 2015 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for the tutorial. I was going to do something identical to this for Father’s day and never got to it because of other orders so you just saved me having to make my own template when I do decide to do it. Totally adorable, as are all of your cookies. Thanks for being such an inspiration!

19. June 23, 2015 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Yay! Glad you like the tutorial!

20. Sharon
    December 17, 2015 at 12:17 am | Permalink

These are absolutely amaaaaazing!! I would love to give them a go! But do they taste as good as they look?

21. Katie
    January 12, 2016 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

How do you make the perfect gray icing color? I can’t find gray food coloring, can you mix black & white?

January 13, 2016 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Hi Katie,
      Yes I simply mixed a little bit of black into white icing.

22. Kimmie
    June 10, 2016 at 7:51 am | Permalink

As always perfection. I love it! Such a cute idea!

1. By tool box cookies by Sweetopia on September 30, 2015 at 8:50 pm

[…] cookie toolbox filled with tool cookies is all the things times a jillion. Make the tool box cookies at Sweetopia. « eyeball cookiesFiled Under: cookies, father's day, party theme Tagged With: decorated […]

2. […] for my Haunted Gingerbread House and Magna Tiles, but made one and half batches. I was inspired by this blogger’s cute tool box, but I made my own template, and I used a breadstick instead of a straw for the […]

3. By toolbox cookies - food craft ideas on May 12, 2016 at 12:39 pm

[…] cookie toolbox tutorial from Sweetopia for Father’s Day is incredible. « marshmallow fairy gardenFiled Under: cookies, […]

4. […] 2- Toolbox Cookies by Sweetopia […]