Sep 21

Woodland Decorated Cookies

Well I have to say, the cookie nerd in me has reappeared… So much so, ahem, that I may have (cough), even brought a few of these woodland theme sweets into the forest on Sunday afternoon for a few photographs. I know it’s a little, um, out of the ordinary, but I couldn’t resist. I mean, the little ledges on this one tree were just begging for cookies. And I generally save and dry out a few cookies from each batch to keep as demonstration pieces if I’m teaching cookie decorating, sooooo, no one was going to eat those anyways. This forest-loving girl had fun photographing them (and decorating them too!), so I hope you enjoy the post as well.

These cookies are hands down one of my favorite themes I’ve decorated… Forest, fairyland gnomes, whimsical mushrooms, fawns and hedgehogs (or porcupines?), and I’d love to add a few more shapes to the collection like a fox and bear. In case you’re wondering where the cutters are from, here’s a list for you:

Hedgehog and Snail – IKEA Cookie Cutter Set

Large Mushroom – Ecrandal.com

Small Mushroom – The Cookie Cutter Company

More Mushroom Cutters – Cheap Cookie Cutters

Acorn Cutter – Cheap Cookie Cutters

Deer or Fawn – Coppergifts

Gnome – Coppergifts

Squirrel – Martha Stewart Cookie Cutters (Couldn’t find link)

Tree – I thought I got the whimsical tree cutter from ecrandal.com (mentioned in this post here), but it seems they don’t have it. I’m unable to locate it at the moment. Please let me know if you find it.

Credit to the design of the body of the squirrel goes to Icing Land – I love their sweet style! And for the fawn, a long time favorite cookie decorator of mine, Yukiko of Rosey Confectionary Sugar Art.

Would you like a step by step tutorial?

The decorating techniques were not complicated, but if you’d like a step by step pictorial and description on any of these, please let me know in the comment section or anywhere on social media. You can find me on Facebook, Google+Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and YouTube.

Enjoy your day and happy decorating!

p.s. If you missed the description above, I had a little fun with photographing a few of these cookies (below). I generally keep and dry out a few cookies per batch to use as demonstration pieces for classes so no one will eat these. How fun would it be to wrap cookies in cellophane bags and leave them for someone to find though!

p.s.s. Just started getting into Bloglovin – you can follow me here if you like; Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1. September 21, 2014 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Awww, so lovely!!! These cookies are super cute, Marian. I totally understand that you have to take these pictures in the forest, hehe.

September 22, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Oh I’m so glad you get it too! Then I’m not the only one…
      First to comment again! 😉 Thanks and hope you are well! xo

2. Andrea
    September 22, 2014 at 12:31 am | Permalink

Hooray, you are back to decorating the cookies that I so love. Thank you for your continued inspiration in the cookie realm.

September 22, 2014 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Hi Andrea 🙂 Thanks for your encouragement!

3. September 22, 2014 at 3:15 am | Permalink

Ohhhhh how I love this theme! It is SO you, Marian!
    I love how the squirrel sits on the grass, the whole theme is ridiculously cute – it is my fav as well! <3

Thanks so much for the cute photos, forest photos rock! 🙂

Happy Monday to you my dear,
    xoxo..niner

September 22, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

You know me well Niner… (you know how much I love the forest). Thanks for the sweet comment and hope you had a good Monday too! xo

4. September 22, 2014 at 7:26 am | Permalink

“If you go out in the woods today, you’re in for a big surprise.” Love your sweet woodland creature cookies and your very creative photographs.

September 22, 2014 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Paula!
      I’ll be humming that all evening! Love it 😀
      Thanks for commenting!

5. Maria Theresia
    September 22, 2014 at 8:15 am | Permalink

oh…I love all the cookies you make. But this are outstanding. Love the way you present them. You are amazing!
    Enjoy your day!

September 22, 2014 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Awww, thanks Maria Theresia!

6. September 22, 2014 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Such an inspiration! You are so very talented. Thanks for sharing.

September 22, 2014 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Susan. I’m glad you like them.

7. September 22, 2014 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Absolutely beautiful! I love the way you set them on the shelf mushrooms. And yes, I would love to see step by step tutorials. I got into cookie decorating a few years back and your tutorials were so helpful as I was learning.

September 22, 2014 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Hi Mona,
      Oh that’s great! I’m glad the tutorials were helpful, and thanks for the feedback on these!

8. katia
    September 22, 2014 at 8:53 am | Permalink

OMG Marian, these are soooo the cutest cookies EVER!!
    Love them!!
    cheers!

September 22, 2014 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Hee hee, Katia, thank you!

9. Jan J.
    September 22, 2014 at 8:59 am | Permalink

These are adorable! This theme is so popular now. I hope it stays around a while.

10. Christine Shen - Sugar Cravings
    September 22, 2014 at 9:08 am | Permalink

These are so wonderful! I always love your woodland sets…they’re my favorites!

11. September 22, 2014 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Adorable as usual! Thanks for always being a great inspiration!

12. Ingrid
    September 22, 2014 at 10:44 am | Permalink

You are so talented. Your creative mind and very practiced, steady hand produce some of the sweetest cookies I have ever seen.

13. Christine
    September 22, 2014 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Your decorated cookies always make me smile!! I love them. Have a great day!
    -Christine

14. Maria Helena
    September 22, 2014 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Wonderfull work…

15. jeannine
    September 22, 2014 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Adorable! You’re such an inspiration. Thanks for sharing your beautiful work and teaching us how to create yummy art too. Just love you.

16. September 22, 2014 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

These are really great. I love the photos, they are fantastic!

September 23, 2014 at 7:46 am | Permalink

Thank you everyone for your sweet comments! xo

18. Miranda
    September 23, 2014 at 10:17 am | Permalink

I would love the tutorial!

19. Michaela Baumgartner
    September 24, 2014 at 2:24 am | Permalink

I would love the tutorial. The cookies are so cute. I love it

20. CJ
    September 24, 2014 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Marian, how do you dry them out? Dehydrator or air dry for several days? I’ve had people ask about saving a 1st birthday cookie for a memory box and I’ve always cautioned against it. Any suggestions?

21. Kathy
    September 24, 2014 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Love this set. Please post a tutorial on how you decorate this cute cookies. Would love to take a cookie decorating class from you:)

22. September 25, 2014 at 12:50 am | Permalink

Marian, your work never fails to inspire! The quality of detail and your color choices are second to none. Thanks so much for the share!

23. Andrea
    September 27, 2014 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Hi Marian! These cookies are just beautiful! You are amazing 🙂
    May I request a step by step pictorial and description on the squirrel cookie?
    Thank you!

24. Marilyn
    September 27, 2014 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Your work is delightful and oh so precise! Those forest treasures are darling. Loving those little acorns and mushrooms. I’m a woodland junkie…can’t go for a walk without cramming my pocket full of pretty leaves, acorns(my favourite) and pinecones. I fill my baskets and urns with them. Sadly this obsession has been going on for decades. Just ask my husband who’s been asked to gather as well. hee hee

25. Charlie
    November 28, 2014 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

These are adorable! I would love to see a tutorial!

26. Annie
    December 5, 2014 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

pleasw do a step by step tutorial in these ! They are amazing . My sons 1st birthday is coming up and his theme is woodland so these would be perfect to make !

• December 19, 2014 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Hi Annie,
      Okay, will do! It will just be hopefully within a few months. xo

27. MoniqueM
    December 19, 2014 at 1:44 am | Permalink

Are those chocolate sugar cookies or gingerbred cookies?
    I have your sugar cookie recipe, do you have a chocolate sugar cookies ( if yes where can i find it)? If you don’t, How would i turn it into chocolate sugar cookie Recipe?

• December 19, 2014 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Hi Monique M,
      Here is the chocolate sugar cookie recipe:

December 23, 2014 at 6:45 am | Permalink

p.s. (Sorry I was in a rush the last time I answered). This one is gingerbread.

You can find all my cookie recipes at the top of the site. Click on the word “Recipes”, then you’ll see a cookie section. Underneath the first 3 recipes there’s a word which will load, “See More”… You can click on that to see all the recipes.

28. December 19, 2014 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for the comments everyone! xo

29. Brandi
    January 9, 2015 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

I absolutely love these cookies! I have a serious crush on woodland animals. Heeheee. You’re decorating is flawless! Not that mine could even come close to yours but, I would love a tutorial on your techniques.

30. Lauren Barnard
    January 23, 2015 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Did you ever post a tutorial for these? For my little one’s first birthday we are doing a Woodlands ONEderland and these would be perfect!!

February 10, 2015 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Hi Lauren,
      I’m sorry, I haven’t posted one yet! 🙁 I hope to do one in the next few months, but in the meantime, if you go to my YouTube channel there’s a playlist of “Cookie Decorating Basics” which should help.

31. Cindy K.
    February 12, 2015 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

I’d love to see a tutorial too. This is the cutest decorated squirrel cookie I have ever seen!

32. Kathryn
    January 2, 2016 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

The hedgehog is so cute! Amazing work.

1. By How to Make Lettered Cookies | Sweetopia on September 28, 2014 at 11:57 pm

[…] you for your feedback on the woodland cookies from last week! I’ll be doing a tutorial on those […]