Dec 18

Chocolate Sugar Cookie Recipe {Cut Out Cookies}

This new recipe has been a looong time coming, and I’m so excited to share it with you! Batches and batches of experimentation – playing with flour and delicious cocoa powder amounts, some input from readers over the years (especially Marina who tried a similar version of my sugar cookies – thank you!), and finally, the yummiest chocolate sugar cookie recipe!

I was happy to put the final touches on the recipe for Go Bold With Butter, a must-see baking and savoury recipe resource for those serious about all-natural ingredients and excellent buttery taste. You can find my chocolate sugar cookie recipe here as well, and enjoy all the other mouth watering recipes there!

I have a few notes to share with you about baking cookies in general as well:

• One of the reasons I experimented with this recipe so much, is that I wanted to find the best ratio of butter to flour etc., to create the perfect cut out cookie which holds its shape. This one definitely does, but no matter what recipe you use, these tips on how to prevent cookies from spreading are important to know.
  • Use the best quality ingredients you can. The cocoa powder will make a big difference in the final taste of your cookies.

Enjoy baking and nibbling on decorating these!

Chocolate Sugar Cookie Recipe

Yield: Approx. 35 medium sized cookies

• 2 cups unsalted butter (at room temperature)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 tsp vanilla
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp salt

1. Cream the butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer on low to medium speed (Use a paddle attachment). Mix until thoroughly incorporated – for about one minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a plastic spatula and mix again for a few seconds more. Over mixing the butter and sugar in this step will cause too much air to be incorporated into the dough. If you’d like a light and fluffy cookie, that’s ideal, however the dough will spread more during baking; not ideal if you’d like the cookie to hold its shape.
  2. Add eggs slowly and mix. Scrape down the bowl with your spatula at least once and mix again.
  3. Add liquid vanilla extract. Stir briefly.
  4. Sift your dry ingredients together. (Flour, cocoa powder and salt).
  5. Add all of the flour mixture to the bowl. Place a large tea towel or two small tea towels between the edge of the bowl and the electric mixer so that the flour won’t escape. Mix on low speed for 3o seconds. Remove the tea towels and observe the dough mixing; when it clumps around the paddle attachment it’s ready. It’s also important at this stage not to over mix the dough.
  6. Roll the dough out between 2 large pieces of parchment paper. Place on a baking sheet and into the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
  7. Roll out the dough further if you need to, and cut out cookie shapes. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Re-roll scraps and repeat.
  8. Put cookie dough shapes back into the fridge for 10 minutes to 1 hour to chill again. They will then hold their shape better when baked.
  9. Preheat your oven to 350°F or 176°C.
  10. Bake cookies for 8-12 minutes or until the center of the cookie no longer looks wet. The baking time will depend on the size of your cookie.
  11. Let cookies cool to room temperature and decorate!

1. February 9, 2016 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Has anyone made these Gluten Free? I would love to know how they turned out.

• September 5, 2016 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Hello April, I have made these GF I use a GF flour blend that is a cup for cup substitution and I add Xanthum Gum to keep it all together! Easy Peasy!

2. Kymmie
    February 17, 2016 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I made these exactly to the recipe, but I can’t figure out if I like them or not. I think these relate more to “dark chocolate” rather than “milk chocolate” cookies. I love dark chocolate, but a lot of people don’t care for “dark chocolate.” I need a good ratio of the cocoa to accommodate the other side of my family who is not too keen on dark chocolate flavors. I feel like these are a little too potent with the cocoa. I’m going to try and reduce the cocoa by a half a cup and just add in more flour. Not sure how that will turn out, but I want to try anything to reduce the strong cocoa flavor for me. These did however bake gorgeously!!!

• Angie.
      May 9, 2016 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

To tone down the dark chocolate intensity for my picky little one I topped this cookie with marshmallow fluff and dusted just enough icing sugar to stop it from being sticky. My tiny dictator was thrilled to help and I didn’t have to make two separate batches. Hope this helps!

3. Brandi N
    April 6, 2016 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Will this recipe work if halved?

4. Leslie
    April 16, 2016 at 12:04 am | Permalink

These cookies were amazing! Thank you for sharing! I bake regularly for my colleagues and everyone went crazy for them. I used Valrhona cocoa powder and believe it made a difference… and I have to admit I sifted the cocoa powder but didn’t sift the flour for my next batch so we will see the difference. I’m also going to leave the dough in the fridge overnight, I believe it should be okay.

5. Kelly Jo
    April 21, 2016 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Just wondering what kind of cocoa powder you use? I just made them with Hershey’s and they were delicious!

6. Maria
    July 15, 2016 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

I just came across this recipe it sounds good. I want to make teddy bear cut outs for my daughters baby shower. Since I have so many things to prepare prior to the shower. I wanted to know if I can make the dough a couple of weeks early and freeze. If so do I have to roll out and freeze or can I freeze in a ball? Thank you.

7. August 28, 2016 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Can I use the traditional a meringue and/or Royal icing to decorate these cookies? Or what kind of frosting and or icing do u recommend? Thanks.

August 28, 2016 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Hi Linda,

Yes the traditional royal icing works. I have a recipe in my recipe section or you can use one of your own. xo

8. September 12, 2016 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Hi!! I was wondering if I could use regular butter instead of unsalted butter and omit the 1 tsp of salt?

September 12, 2016 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Hi Jeannette,

Sure that works!

9. Patricia
    October 9, 2016 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

I would like to try your cookies they look sooo good to eat. Thank You.

10. Patti
    October 9, 2016 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

I tried these cookies using Ghirardelli cocoa and they were delicious. My question is regarding the softness of the cookie as I was hoping for a stiffer cookie as these seem more like a soft cookie than a sugar cookie texture. Maybe I’m missing something? They held their shape perfectly, just wish for a little stiffer texture. Any suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks!!

October 10, 2016 at 8:11 am | Permalink

Hi Patti,
      I’m glad you enjoyed them! You can bake them longer to make them crispier/sturdier.

11. Christina
    October 16, 2016 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

I made these using nice buttercream frosting and they are perfect! Everything I wanted them to be. I love decorating cookies but hate regular sugar cookies and the chocolate makes these perfect. The texture of mine were a little shortbready.. kind of dense and really a solid treat that leaves you nice and full. As others mentioned, it is more of a dark chocolate and it threw me off a little when I first tasted them but I couldn’t stop eating them. As I said, I made buttercream- vanilla to decorate and a milk chocolate buttercream just to try. I love chocolate.. but chocolate on chocolate was really for my daughter who is a fan as I thought it would be too much for me. It wasn’t, and these cookies were perfect. I can’t wait to make some with the kids for Halloween!

1. By Valentine’s Cookies | Eat, Read, and Be Mommy on February 14, 2016 at 11:49 pm

[…]  I hopped onto Pinterest and settled on this Chocolate Sugar Cookie Recipe, and we now have two containers of cookies in my kitchen.  The pristine ones will likely be iced […]

2. […] chocolate sugar cookie recipes and this recipe is my current favorite.  I found this recipe on Sweetopia’s blog.  They are a soft cookie with a lovely bite and […]

3. […] game, I made special cookies for the moms on this Mothers Day. I started by using the recipe for chocolate sugar cookies. I used a recently purchased plaque cookie cutter (the one on the right in the […]

4. […] Next time I’ll be making them paired with these chocolate sugar cookies. […]