Oct 14

Vanilla Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes + Tea Party Cupcake Toppers

Easy to make and perfect for fall (and a tea party, in this case), I have a twist on my classic vanilla cupcake for you – Vanilla Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes.

Add more or less pumpkin spice to your taste and top with vanilla buttercreamΒ orΒ icing of your choice. I used vanilla under the fondant tablecloths, but if you’re serving these without covering in fondant, I’m thinking maple cream cheese icing would also be nice. More on how I made the tea party toppers in an upcoming post. Update – Here is the post along with a recipe for marshmallow fondant.

Happy baking in the meantime!

p.s. If you’re here looking for the Raspberry Ice KitchenAid Mixer Giveaway (I shared the wrong link on Facebook today), here it is!

Vanilla Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes

Yield: Approx. 24 cupcakes

• 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp pumpkin spice*
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
  2. In a mixer bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy (a few minutes).
  3. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  4. Beat in vanilla and then pumpkin spice.
  5. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  6. Stir dry mixture into wet (butter) mixture alternately with buttermilk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 3 of buttermilk.
  7. Using an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measurer, scoop batter into a muffin tin lined with cupcake liners.
  8. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes, until cake tester (toothpicks or skewers work well too), inserted in centre comes out clean.
  9. Let cool in muffin tins for about 5 minutes, then remove and let cool completely before adding icing.
  10. *Note about pumpkin spice - Pumpkin pie spice is generally available in the grocery store. It is an already made mixture of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. If you'd like to substitute for this recipe, use 1 1/2 tsp ginger, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg.

1. October 14, 2013 at 8:03 am | Permalink

These are adorable & so creative!!

2. October 14, 2013 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Delicious and insanely creative cupcakes, Marian! πŸ™‚

3. Yvonne
    October 14, 2013 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Lovely <3

4. October 14, 2013 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Happy Monday, miss!!

Lovelyyy blogpost, thanks for sharing, sweetie!

Enjoy your day, xoxo
    niner πŸ™‚

5. October 14, 2013 at 8:52 am | Permalink

What incredible sugar work. So clean and fault-free!

6. Paola
    October 14, 2013 at 9:16 am | Permalink

when your gona post the toppers?????!!!

October 14, 2013 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Hi Paola,
      I’m going to work on the post this week, and hope to post as soon as possible. xo

7. October 14, 2013 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Oh, wow! Amazing!

8. October 14, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Just darling!

9. October 14, 2013 at 10:55 am | Permalink

I cannot get over how darling these are!! Those little tablecloths!! Swooning.

10. Marylou Andrew
    October 14, 2013 at 11:00 am | Permalink

These are beautiful. Can’t wait for the next post on those toppers.

11. October 14, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

These are adorable!

12. October 14, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

What?! These are the cutest cupcakes ever! Love them!!

13. October 14, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

These are the most darling cupcakes I have ever seen!!! So talented Marian!

14. Jenny H.
    October 14, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Wow! Those are absolutely fabulous, Marian!
    Most adorable cupcakes I have ever seen! Such perfect detailed work. Awesome!

Just one question – what is pumpkin spice?? What’s in it?

October 14, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

What a great question, Jenny H! I will post a note in my recipe as well… Pumpkin pie spice is generally available this time of the year in the grocery store – It is an already made mixture of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. If you’d like to substitute for this recipe, use 1 1/2 tsp ginger, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp nutmeg.

• Jenny H.
      October 15, 2013 at 5:23 am | Permalink

Thanks Marian! Sounds delicious! I’ll try that with my next pumpkin pie =)
      We don’t have that in our grocery stores so I will mix it myself πŸ˜‰

Hmmm….might use it in the bisquit for our halloween cake…

Thanks! xo

15. October 14, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

these are the sweetest little cupcakes i’ve ever seen!!

16. October 14, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

These are absolutely gorgeous. Please tell us how to do the mini tea set!

October 14, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Hi Nola, πŸ™‚ I will work on writing the post as fast as I can this week. Thanks for your sweet comment!

17. Roshini
    October 14, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

So pretty

18. October 14, 2013 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

TOO. SWEET. !!!

19. October 14, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

I totally meant that in a good way!!! <3

October 14, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

20. October 14, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

I am in just in awe of your little tea sets!! I so want to know how you made these. I will be looking for your future post. These yummy cupcakes will subside my curiosity for now. πŸ˜‰

October 14, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

21. October 14, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

I just barely saw these on Pinterest before I got into my inbox. .. and I knew instantly they were from you. You are simply amazing!

October 14, 2013 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Oh how funny that you thought that! Thanks for dropping by and commenting, Gloria!

22. October 14, 2013 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

I can’t wait to try your cupcake recipe. I’m just getting warmed up with my pumpkin baking.

Happy Thanksgiving, Marian!

October 14, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you, Aimee!

23. Maria Theresia
    October 14, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

your little tea set is very gorgeous,cute,beautiful,amzing talented work.
    I’m looking forward to see how “its made”
    Happy Thanksgiving Marian and a great week.

October 14, 2013 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Maria! I remember you like the show, “How It’s Made” πŸ˜‰ Too bad this one won’t be a video. Another time when the kitchen is done. xo

24. Nicole
    October 14, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Hi so I would like to message you because I love what you do and because me and my best friend are saving up for a bakery when we grow up, we obviously aren’t the best cooks but because we still have 4 years until we are 18 we have time to take at least some classes or something to improve our cooking also we are little teenagers 14 so we can’t buy right now kitchen aid stand mixers or the kopykake projectors or nothing but that’s why we’re saving up you’ve inspired us to keep on going and it doesn’t matter how much time it takes or how much money it takes but the journey we will have while we try to be very good bakers as any little girls we would like our dreams to happen and we will work hard we always try to make cupcakes and other pastries to be preparing ourselves to when we have to have our bakery thank for reading this (if u read it) I know your probably a busy person so it’s ok If u don’t read it thanks hug and kisses from me and my best friend

October 14, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Hi Nicole,
      How great is that! I read all my comments, and am thrilled to hear you love baking and decorating too and have found something you love at such a young age (to me it is, πŸ˜‰ I’m 38). Keep having fun and experimenting – you can do it without a KitchenAid mixer or projector, and there are SO many fun things to try – I feel like I’ll be learning until I want to stop learning (which doesn’t seem like it will ever happen).
      If you learn well with video, I have a few on my YouTube channel btw.
      Stay positive and have fun Nicole (and your best friend)!
      πŸ™‚ Marian
      p.s. I teach high school and again, think it’s amazing that you two are so passionate about baking already.

25. October 14, 2013 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

So darling!! I am pretty sure I’ve never seen a cupcake this cute!

26. Patti Gramza
    October 15, 2013 at 8:14 am | Permalink

Marian, CookieQueenExtraordinaire,
    These cupcakes are stunning. That little tea set is meticulous!!!!!! Wow!
    You create stunner pieces…you have that magic touch!!
    Keep sharing, you keep us all wishing we could “do it like Marian”!!!!!

27. October 15, 2013 at 9:01 am | Permalink

These are the most amazing cupcakes! Love them! Cannot wait for the topper tutorial. My little one will go crazy if I make these for her.

28. October 15, 2013 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Oh Marian…I have the…
    EVER on these cupcakes!!!
    How did you do that?!
    They are so fine….can not wait to read all about your tutorial.
    ps…I really really really love that mixer : )
    I just know my treats and goodies would taste even better if made with the beautiful raspberry mixer!

29. Claire
    October 15, 2013 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Wow these would’ve great for my hen do next year. I love them!

30. Victoria
    October 15, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

you are the best so far that I have seen. love it all every little detail makes it so special. my 8 yr old loves to have tea brunches w her little friends and these would be perfect for her birthday. cant wait to c how they are maid.
    love your work. keep it up!

31. October 15, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

These are so adorable! I actually just made a batch of pumpkin spice flavored sprinkles, so I’ll have to make these cupcakes soon!

32. Paja
    October 15, 2013 at 10:25 am | Permalink

You are such a superstar!!! And I love the way you photograph your gems!!!

33. October 15, 2013 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Those are beautiful!!! They’re artwork in a cupcake!!

34. Heidi parizeau
    October 15, 2013 at 11:04 am | Permalink

So cute! My daughter would love these! She has tea parties all the time! I can see them in pink too!

35. October 15, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

These are beyond adorable!!!

36. October 15, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Oh my goodness, these are *SO* adorable.

37. Sylvia Martinez
    October 15, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

As usual Marian these are beautiful. That happens when the person has the passion that you have and it shows in everything you do. Keep having fun decorating πŸ™‚

38. October 15, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Oh my, cutest cupcakes ever! You are SO talented!

39. Diana
    October 15, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Hi! Greetings from the Caribbean – Puerto Rico. I’ve been visiting your site since June and I loveee it! You are an amazing baker!

40. Melissa Wood
    October 15, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

So amazing! Love the talent and dedication. I just couldn’t even think about eating them. Too beautiful.

41. October 15, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

I can always count oohing and ahhing when I visit. Love love love!

42. Chiara Aldridge
    October 15, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Those are beautiful cupcakes! I am in awe of all the detail.

43. October 15, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Just amazing! I love anything “little”! Beautiful! Can’t wait to try your recipe too! Half will go to making cake pops, pumpkins of course!! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

44. Kim
    October 15, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

These are just the cutest πŸ™‚

45. October 15, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

So cute!

46. Emy SM Colis
    October 15, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

it looks delicious…amazing…

47. October 15, 2013 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Looks great and would like to try and make them.

48. October 16, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

I fell in love with your blog and your recipes and trying this over the weekend. However, I could’nt resist and so had to share is on my blog before that!!

49. Dawn Knowlton
    October 17, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

These are great! I am looking forward to the topper tutorial.

Do you know how many cupcakes (approx) this recipe make?

50. Dawn Knowlton
    October 17, 2013 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

One more question. :o) If you were to just frost these, what would you frost them with? Vanilla buttercream? Cream cheese frosting? What are your thoughts?