It’s gingerbread house time!
I love the way Irene used cookies as roof tiles and stuck lollipops in the window troughs.
My version is slightly different… smaller heart openings with peek-a-boo red, disco dust and gum paste lollipops on toothpick sticks.
The sweet decorations on each side of the house were essentially mirrorred… large blue gumballs, tiny candy sixlets, and different-sized, hand made mushrooms and cupcakes.
I wanted to create a whimsical, dessert-themed, gingerbread house of sorts.
With donuts to be found all around the house…
slices of cake topped with mini macarons…
and the odd gingerbread man hiding here and there.
The base included a little cut-out circle spot to place a little light (battery operated), for a cosy night.
Won’t you come in for some tea and cookies?
If you’d like to make a gingerbread house:
If you’d like to use the template I used for this house, you can find it in this post here.
Here are a few videos for you on making royal icing for gingerbread houses and how to put the house together (please reload the page if you can’t see the videos below):
How to Make Gingerbread House Royal Icing:
How to Put a Gingerbread House Together
Sources for Candy
My favorite places to find candy (in no particular order) are:
- Old Thyme Confections ~ They ship and have an amazing array of candy. Thanks to them for providing some of the candy for my house!
- Candy.com ~ Another source for an endless variety of candy. Thanks to Sue for this interview on Sweetopia!
- Bulk Barn (local store)
*You should know that although I have worked with a few of the companies in the examples above, I only recommend what I truly love and stand behind.
How to Make the Lollipops, Mushrooms, Macaron Cake and Donuts
There are so many talented people on YouTube! I watched polymer clay video tutorials to find out how to make my edible versions of the lollipops, mushrooms, the macaron cake and donuts. I used gum paste instead of course. Click on the words below to find the videos on how to make each item:
… and anything else I’ve forgotten to mention, please feel free to ask in the comment section below.
Thanks to Ellie of Ellie Kistemaker Photography for coming over on extremely short notice to help me take some photographs of my gingerbread house!
Like the one above which was also used for a group calendar collaboration!
Speaking of which, here’s your chance at winning something!
Thanks to Marlyn of Montreal Confections, who organized a group calendar project where other cookie decorators and myself were in charge of creating cookies for each month of the year (or a gingerbread house for my month, December). The result is so much fun, I love what everyone came up with! And you have the chance to win a copy of the calendar!
Here’s just a taste of what you’ll find:
So cute! Check out the sites of all the cookiers involved (below), you’re going to find beautiful cookie creations!
- A Dozen Eggs ~ Laura
- bonniebakes ~ Bonnie
- Brenda’s Cakes ~ Brenda
- cookieartisan ~ Maryann
- cookie cutter creations (jennifer) ~ Jennifer
- Cookievonster ~ Evon
- DenyseAl ~ Denyse
- East Coast Cookies ~ Jody
- GeminiRJ ~ Susan
- Haniela’s ~ Hani
- Katie’s Something Sweet ~ Katie
- kimsmom76(Susan’s) ~ Susan
- Montreal Confections ~ Marlyn
- SugarDeaux Cookies & Cakes ~ Karen
- Sweet Tooth Fairy ~ Angela
- Thefancyladygourmet ~ Amanda
- The Partiologist ~ Kim
- tricia_z ~Tricia
- Whisked Away Cookies ~ Tracy
Cookie Calendar Giveaway! CLOSED
One copy of the Cookie Calendar, pictured above.
How to Enter: GIVEAWAY CLOSED It’s easy. There are 5 possible ways of entering. Pick one, pick all – it’s your choice! 1. Let me know in the comment section below, that you’d like to win!
2. Like Sweetopia on Facebook and leave me a separate comment here letting me know you’ve done so (or have already liked on Facebook).
3. Tweet the giveaway, including @sweetopia in your tweet, and leave a separate comment here letting me know you’ve done so.
4. Share the giveaway on Facebook and leave a separate comment here letting me know you’ve done so.
5. Pin a photo from this post, tag @Sweetopia ~ Marian Poirier in your pin, and leave a separate comment here, letting me know you’ve done so.
The winners will be chosen randomly at random.org. The contest closes at 7pm EST on Sunday, December 16th, 2012. I will notify the winner via email.CONGRATS to Heather, comment 170 for winning the calendar!
Thanks to everyone who entered and Happy Holidays!