Dec 30

Illustrated Gingerbread Cookie Recipe

Awaken your tastebuds (and possibly a hungry Yeti) with this om-nom-nominable gingerbread cookie recipe.

Horizontal Version

Since the sweet success of the last illustrated recipe, Magically Royal Icing, it was pretty much a no brainer to create another for you to enjoy. This time we’ve ramped up the efforts to bring an animated version along with a separate, printer-friendly version.

Feel free to share your thoughts below and share either version of the recipe wherever you like!

Direct Links to recipe:

Thanks to my amazing designer/art director Arthur Kononuk, for creating this adorable illustrated recipe and intro for me! I love it and hope you do too.

1. Isabel
    December 31, 2012 at 2:20 am | Permalink

Hi Marian!
    Your yeti-approved cookie recipe is adorable! (I specially love that man skiing in the animated version.. it’s so fun!)Thank you so much for sharing! I’ll print it right now!
    I want also thank you for all this year of sweet moments… You sweet my life when I’m down! Thank you Sweetopia team!
    Happy new year!
    Best wishes form Spain.

2. Roshini
    December 31, 2012 at 2:55 am | Permalink

Cute ;)
    I have a question. As I mentioned in my previous comment, I made ginger bread houses (4) thanks to you & kids enjoyed decorating them with loads of sweets. It was FUN!!!
    But, the houses became a little soft & I was worried that they may break. Luckily they didn’t, still I wonder why it was not crispy??
    After making the houses, I left them open (since I didn’t have BIG air tight containers to store them)till the party which was scheduled the next day.
    Any advice to keep them crispy?

3. Tesei
    December 31, 2012 at 5:12 am | Permalink

Marian, thabk you so much for another recipe and for the lovely design and animation :) )))) Happy New year!!!!

4. Denise Thaxton
    December 31, 2012 at 5:58 am | Permalink

@ Roshini:
    After I make all the pieces for my house, I put them back in the oven after I cut it off. They stay in the oven as it cools and they harden. I do this because I live in NC and we have humid weather.

5. December 31, 2012 at 7:44 am | Permalink

so cute, I so want to try making gingerbread one day, it may be summer before I actually get to it.

6. December 31, 2012 at 9:52 am | Permalink

ohhh how much I love it!
    Arthur, you are THE MAN right here! The man who creates such cute, fairytale like illustrations.
    It makes me happy inside to look at it, so thanks for this great piece of art :-)

Marian, thanks SO much for this wonderful recipe, I will try it out as soon as possible, my friend!!

Wishing you a couple of last enjoyable hours in 2012, looking forward to all the things coming up in 2013, with you <3

7. arthur
    December 31, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

@ niner bakes // thanks niner! these are always an exciting challenge to create, glad to see people enjoy them :D

8. Maria Theresia
    December 31, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this gingerbread recipe… it looks easy to do.
    I love the animated version design.

9. Kim
    December 31, 2012 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Love both – thanks. I was just wondering if you can convert the butter and flour measurements to cups/spoons. I don’t have a kitchen scale and am mathematically challenged. Thanks!

10. December 31, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Easily the most adorable recipe I have ever seen. Especially the animated version – eeeeee!

11. Kathy
    January 1, 2013 at 8:28 am | Permalink

I tried two gingerbread recipes this holiday, and yours was the better one! I will keep using it even after the holidays! It’s a great tasting cookie and so moist. we used it for mini gingerbreads houses and gingerbread men. When I rolled it thinner, it made a nice crispy cookie! Yummy! Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe.

12. January 5, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

love it .

13. January 10, 2013 at 6:02 am | Permalink

Dear Marian, it’s very hard to find molasses in my country, how can I replace it by brown sugar or smthing else? in what proportion should it be? 1 cup molasses = 1 cup brown sugar?

January 11, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

HI @ Kate: I asked the same question on Dec. 19th/12 and got lots of information there if you’d like to check it out;

January 11, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks, @ Isabel!

Hi @ Roshini, sorry for the delayed reply. Humidity plays a huge factor, and, even in a cold climate or in the winter season of a warmer climate, humidity can play a factor. Humidity can still be high even though it’s cold. Just before Christmas we had 88% humidity here (even though there was snow on the ground), and my friend was having trouble with her gingerbread houses drying. She dug out her de-humidifer and presto, problem solved.
    Check your weather network for humidity percents

January 11, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Happy new year to you, @ Tesei!

What a FABULOUS tip, @ Denise Thaxton! I will try that – thanks!

Better late than never, @ Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more. :)

Thanks for your feedback, @ niner bakes //; I always appreciate your candidness. Happy new year to you and all the best in 2013! xo

Thanks so much, @ Maria Theresia, @ Vane and @ Kelly!

So glad you like it, @ Kathy!

17. January 21, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

ok, this is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! I love the animation and the easy to follow instructions! so cute, Marian :)

18. January 21, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I have to show this post to my boys. It’s SO creative and fun!

19. January 21, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Adorable. Completely.

20. January 21, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

What a fun recipe! I just hope I don’t have to hide my gingerbread cookies from the yeti after making them! :

21. January 21, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

TOO cute! Love this!

22. January 21, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Super cute–wish I had a Yeti to approve my cookies! ;)

23. January 22, 2013 at 8:36 am | Permalink

This is absolutely adorable. Would be a perfect as a gift in a jar with the dry ingredients added. Thanks so much for the cute idea. Love the yeti–wish I had one!

24. January 22, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

I love these illustrated recipes, Marian! You are one talented woman!

25. January 22, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

LOVE these easy to follow directions!! So cute – I want to frame it and put it in my kitchen!

January 24, 2013 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks for all your comments!! xo

27. Pat
    January 31, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Love this recipe. My grandchildren and I watched the video.
    Were making gingerbread tonight. You simplified the
    instructions with your illustrations. My 10 year old
    wants to try it herself. You have made a recipe that all
    ages can follow. Congratulations.

28. anna
    February 3, 2013 at 8:54 am | Permalink

thank you so much, you are a very special person.!!!!!!!!!

29. Tina Dahl
    February 4, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

What is the cups measurement equivalent for the butter and flour? Thanks!

30. February 17, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink

This gingerbread recipe looks wonderful enough to try. A lot of people are making short cuts to making gingerbread cookies and houses. Gram crackers are the substitute because some feel gingerbread has a strong taste for kids.

February 19, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

That’s so great to hear, @ Pat! I hope you all had lots of fun!

Thanks for the comments, ladies! xo

32. Kylie
    December 2, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Hi there, LOVE this so much!

I just have one question, which I hope isn’t a dumb one. Is it 3tsp of cinnamon and the same of ground ginger – or is that just 3 tsp of a mix of the two spices?

Kylielovesthis via Pinterest

Kylie x

33. Laís Gomes Marcolongo
    December 14, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Oh, i’m so happy I found it!
    One question: how many cookies does it make?

January 2, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Lais!
      About 35 average sized cookies. Sorry for the delay!

34. Nancy
    December 22, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Hi, I want to try this recipe, but how many cups of flour is 800 grams?

35. Mermaidmom
    December 21, 2014 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

It seems that most of the above comments were from people who didn’t actually prepare your recipe. I did and sorry…I wasn’t impressed. With over 35 years in the kitchen, I thought I would try this recipe instead of my family’s traditional holiday recipe, since it came from Sweetopia. Unfortunately, the dough was somewhat dry and cracked when rolled. When baked, the texture of these cookies is chalky and the flavor notes were spicy and hot but lacking in fullness of flavor. Did you forget some ingredients or alter the amounts? The dough recipe I am most familiar with has more of a soft feel and is not hard to work, has a soft but firm bite and flavor that is more balanced. This recipe doesn’t compare favorably in any way. Sorry. Not a fan of this cookie.

December 21, 2014 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Hi Mermaidmom,
      I haven’t had an issue with dryness or cracks when it’s rolled and I enjoy the flavour.

1. [...] Illustrated Gingerbread Recipe {Animated} [...]

2. [...] used gingerbread as the base for my cookies. You can find the recipe for the dough here. If you’d like to try a different cookie base, other recipes can be [...]

3. By By the Sea Decorated Cookies | Sweetopia on July 30, 2015 at 4:24 pm

[...] used gingerbread as the base for my cookies. You can find the recipe for the dough here. If you’d like to try a different cookie base, other recipes can be found here. I will share [...]