Aug 12

Back to School Cupcakes

Have I got a treat for you today! Chocolatey cupcakes with sweet, satisfying, crunchy surprises inside.

Flourless chocolate pistachio cupcakes; perfect on their own for a snack, or garnished with an icing of your choice. And the best part is, the recipe for these cupcakes is flourless, gluten-free and dairy free! {The icing is not, but the great part is that these taste amazing without the icing – I just felt like decorating cupcakes for a back to school theme, and just maaaaybe wanted to tie in the apple theme with what (or who ;-) ) I’ll be sharing with you. More on that in a bit}.

It may come as a surprise that someone with a blog named, Sweetopia, be concerned about such things, but the truth is, although I do like love my sweets, for the most part I try to eat well, and if a dessert I find, like this one, is pleasing to my palate and healthy, I’m thrilled about the discovery. And I hope you will be too.

My beautiful friend, Amie of The Healthy Apple, is the creator behind the delectable flourless chocolate cake recipe, which you can find here, and you’ll want to check out her impressive array of other scrumptious, clean eating recipes. Chock full of vibrant, inspiring ideas, you’ll find everything from gluten-free snacks, to healthy dessert options, helpful hints for smart food shopping, and so, so much more.

Back to School Apple Themed Cupcakes

For a fun, back to school theme, garnish these cupcakes, either with or without icing, with a little marzipan apple. So easy to make; I just colored and rolled some marzipan into a ball, dusted it with some red petal dust, made a hole with a toothpick and inserted a small brown, marzipan stem. For a little added glitz, dip the stems in brown disco dust.

I couldn’t help but think about one of my favorite books, Shel Silverstein’s The Giving Treewhile I was making them, and The TomKat Studios’s sweet, green, polka dot cupcake liners matched perfectly too. Kim’s also got simply adorable Back to School Printables I was looking forward to using.

Hope you enjoy some back to school baking fun!

1. August 12, 2012 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

I’m really excited to here about Aime’s blog. I love my sweets too but try to balance it by eating healthy most of the time. I have been derailed a lot lately so I’m on my way to check out The Healthy Apple!

P.S. Super cute marzipan apples!

2. August 13, 2012 at 2:26 am | Permalink

Oh goodie! These cupcakes look lovely and healthy, too! Will check out Aime’s blog. Thanks Marian! :)

3. August 13, 2012 at 5:10 am | Permalink

I love these!!

I am sure they taste heavenly, Marian.
    Thanks so much for sharing, I love your posts, especially on Mondays!! :-)

xoxo to you my friend :-)
    niner

4. August 13, 2012 at 6:41 am | Permalink

So fun! These are adorable!

5. Judi Taylor
    August 13, 2012 at 9:08 am | Permalink

These are adorable. Would you be willing to share what frosting you used? The frosting looks heavenly. Thanks.

6. August 13, 2012 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Perfect treat for back to school time!

7. August 13, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Which icing recipe did you use? I love that it looks so creamy!! Your cupcakes as always look so beautiful!

And I love great tasting healthy desserts!

8. August 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Hard to believe that the summer is almost over and all the kids will be back to class soon. These cupcakes will go a long way to ease the transition for them I’m sure!

9. August 13, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Hi Mariam!!!!!! beautiful cupcakes, cute tiny apple!!!!!!!!

10. August 13, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Beautiful love

11. August 14, 2012 at 9:41 am | Permalink

I saw you shared this on another blog but wanted to say how excited I was because I am looking for something gluten free to make for a wedding and this is perfect!

12. Maria Theresia
    August 15, 2012 at 7:32 am | Permalink

cute idee again! gluten free recipe is good to have.
    I love your blog.

13. August 15, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Where did you find the adorable polka-dot cups? I have been searching for them everywhere.

14. August 15, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

@ Amanda @ Bluebirdcakes: maybe I should have looked at the text more closely (tee hee)

15. August 15, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

@ Amanda @ Bluebirdcakes: ;-) No worries! I’ve done the same thing before.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

16. August 15, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

What a great recipe for me to try. Pistachio+Chocolate=Heavenly!!! So cute with the cutie apple on the frosting…Yummy to the max! I will finish them up before my kids getto try :P

17. August 17, 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink

These are so stinking cute!

August 17, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Sweet thanks, @ carrian and @ Samantha Lee :)

19. August 20, 2012 at 7:56 am | Permalink

These are all so gorgeous! I love anything with pistachio.

20. August 23, 2012 at 2:19 am | Permalink

Sooo cute, Marian. Thank you for letting us know where you got your perfectly theme-matched polka dot cupcake cases.

21. August 23, 2012 at 7:30 am | Permalink

They look minimalistic gorgeous and delicious! Yumm!

22. September 14, 2012 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

What? Chocolate AND pistachio? Fantastic as usual! I love your blog and have followed it and envied your creativity for quite some time. I’ve awarded you the One Lovely Blog & Very Inspiring Blogger Award! You can find out all about it by clicking here (http://www.zoeslunchbox.com/2012/09/one-lovely-blog-very-inspiring-blogger.html). You’re under no obligation to accept it, I just wanted to recognize you :) Thanks for all the wonderful blogging!

September 14, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the comments everyone!

@ Sarah: You made me smile, thank you for the lovely blog award. xo

24. Sara
    March 12, 2013 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Sounds delicious, I love pistachios! Although I find it a bit odd to have “Back to School” cupcakes with pistachios in them – at least around here, nuts are not allowed at school! :)

25. November 15, 2013 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

Neat blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really
    make my blog jump out. Please let me know where you got your theme.

1. [...] the best part is that Marian created my flourless chocolate cupcake recipe for her blog today, too.  And added a fun icing topping for you to check out.  So [...]

2. By Back to School Cupcakes « The Cupcake Blog on August 13, 2012 at 5:33 pm

[...] to School Cupcakes Via Sweetopia Share : Pin ItTweet Posted by Miss Cupcake in Themed Cupcakes and tagged with Back to School, [...]

3. By Back to School Cupcakes | The art of cupcake on August 14, 2012 at 11:09 am

[...] Via Sweetopia [...]

4. [...] deux tons de gris publié par Good House Keeping. 8. Cupcakes chocolat et pistaches sans gluten par Sweetopia. 9. Cadeau pour les invités sur le thème retour à l’école publié pas  Amy Atlas. 10. [...]

5. By Back to School Apple Themed Cupcakes on May 26, 2013 at 1:16 pm