Jul 27

Cheery Cherry Coconut Cupcake Recipe

Happy Friday to you!

Today's post is quick – just wanted to share a yummylicious recipe with you – Cherry Coconut Cupcakes ~ topped with a little ruby red glamour.

Can never resist the disco dust, and these cherry toppers were no exception.

I made these cupcakes to help raise money for breast cancer research, by putting on an 1,000 Cooks for the Cure party as a part of KitchenAid's Cook for the Cure efforts. Hosting a party (of any kind) any time from July 20th-July 29th and having guests bring a small donation for Susan G. Komen for the Cure, rather than bringing a housewarming gift, food or wine, is one way to help out. If you'd like to find out more, here's a link to get you started.

To have some adorable cherry printables to match, check out these by The TomKat Studio!

And if you'd like to make these cupcakes, here's what you'll need:

Click on the item below to find it online:

How to Make Glitter Cherries

The cherries are so easy to make. Just take a ball of fondant and roll it in the disco dust and insert some floral wire stem. I was inspired by Melissa's adorable cake over at My Cake School for the stems, although my twirly curling didn't turn out as lovely as hers.

If you'd like to make these easy and delicious, cheery cupcakes, here's the recipe:

Cherry Coconut Cupcake Recipe

{Click here to print}

Thanks for all the suggestions I got on facebook as to where to buy this green milk glass cake stand, by the way. I ended up buying it in a little shop in Toronto called Red Letter. Thanks Connie Cupcake!

Happy weekend to you – hope it's filled with all your favorite things (or at least some of them).

1. July 27, 2012 at 5:22 am | Permalink

Ohhhhhhhmy goodness!

WILL MAKE THESE! :-)

Thanks Marian, my mood just got better just by seeing your post (and of course, because it’s Friday haha).
    I so love the fondant cherry and the recipe sounds very delicious.

Happy Friday to you toooo, sweetie.
    XOXO..niner

2. July 27, 2012 at 6:45 am | Permalink

Cherry and coconut sounds like an amazing flavor combo! I love the disco dust cherry on top and the twisted stem adds another element of fun to the simple beauty of these cupcakes!

3. July 27, 2012 at 7:24 am | Permalink

aw man, now I want to go to that store, wish they had on line shopping it would save me from myself. I know if I go I will be leaving with at least a few new things! And your toppers as the cutest things ever!

4. July 27, 2012 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Super Nice!

5. Maria
    July 27, 2012 at 9:06 am | Permalink

how cute is this….love it!

6. jessica
    July 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian! Question for you: Is disco dust the same as luster dust? And does either have a taste to it? I purchased “shimmer dust” {Wilton Brand} recently and put it on my cookies thinking it was the same thing as disco dust/lustre dust. It had a bitter, nasty, awful aftertaste. I won’t ever be using it again! Second q’n: Can disco dust/lustre dust only be purchased online? Thanks!!

7. July 27, 2012 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Must run out to get disco dust right away! These look awesome =)

8. Jean
    July 27, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Love them—Think I’ll make a cake out of them next week!

9. July 27, 2012 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

So festive! and for such a worthy cause…You have such a good heart.
    I am loving the shimmering red gems on top. I know this will taste as wonderful as they look. Will try to make my version the soonest, I’m praying I can take beautiful shots like yours too…
    Anyhoo, we have been keeping an eye out for unique and interesting bloggers with phenomenal photography skills, and yours have caught our attention! We have just recently launched a food photo gallery http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery/ that allows you to showcase all your great work and share it with all of our visitors. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there!

10. July 28, 2012 at 5:22 am | Permalink

You are such an amazing beautiful heart. These cupcakes are so elegant. Love the creamy icing….oh im so hungry right now! BTW, I love that cake stand!

11. July 28, 2012 at 7:14 am | Permalink

The ruby red glamour makes these extra fabulous!!

12. July 28, 2012 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Thanks @ niner bakes // sweet treats! Hope you have a great weekend of baking! xo

Hi @ Janine (sugarkissed.net): Thanks for dropping by! Love your name btw (don’t think I’ve ever told you that!)

@ sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more: Can you believe that was my first time in that store?! I never noticed it, and really, don’t go to Yorkville much. Think I’ll be back to that one though… She has an amazing array of pretty cake stands and lots of fun baking-themed stuff.

@ Eftychia, @ Maria: Thanks, ladies!

Hi @ jessica: No, disco dust and lustre dust are different. Disco dust literally looks like sparkles… but it’s non-toxic and made specifically for cake decorating etc. Lustre (or luster) dust is like a fine powder… you can use as the powder or mix it with an extract or pure vodka, to use it like a paint. You can find disco dust online, yes: http://astore.amazon.com/sugarart-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=8 If you type lustre dust in the Amazon search bar or any baking site, you should be able to find it. Hope that helps!

13. July 28, 2012 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Have fun! @ Peggy & @ Jean

HI @ yumgoggle: Thanks! Is it like submitting a photo to tastespotting or foodgawker? Such a pretty looking site btw!

@ Samantha Lee: You are so lovely, thank you!

Thanks, @ marla!

14. July 28, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Loving the idea of those glittered cherries. So cute!!

15. July 28, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

HI @ Kristen: Thanks so much! xo

16. July 28, 2012 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

I’ve been excited to see these since you teased us in your last post. I love that you’ve used the edible glitter on the cherries. I would never have thought to do that but they look amazing.

Question though: Here in the UK they’ve changed the way they grade things. We have something the exact same as disco dust here in the UK but it’s now classified as non-edible. It’s still non toxic but they’re not allowed to sell it as ‘edible’ as it’s supposed to be removed prior to eating as technically it’s not digestable by the body but obviously won’t do no harm since it’s non toxic. Do you eat with disco dust on still or remove?

17. July 29, 2012 at 1:22 am | Permalink

Love the glittery cherries on top! I have never had cherries and coconut together. But I love them both and must try them!

18. July 29, 2012 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Hi @ Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking}: As far as I know, yes, disco dust is non-toxic, so not harmful if ingested, but hasn’t been reviewed by the FDA. Sunflower Sugar Art has let me know she was in the process of submitting hers for review. (so it could be classified somewhat similar to the gold flecks in Goldschlager alcohol). Disco dust goes through the system when eaten (as delicately as I can put it haha), and yes, does no harm, but in the case of the cherries here, we just put ours on the plate in the picture above. Hope that helps!

19. Kelley {mountain mama cooks}
    July 29, 2012 at 10:56 am | Permalink

How adorable are those cherries? We all need a little more disco dust in our life! :)

20. July 30, 2012 at 1:21 am | Permalink

They look so cute! Yum.

July 30, 2012 at 8:56 am | Permalink

Hee hee @ Kelley {mountain mama cooks}: I would agree. xo

Thanks, @ Jenny!

22. July 30, 2012 at 10:05 am | Permalink

I love the cherries on top! So pretty!

July 30, 2012 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Thank you so much, @ Maria!

24. Gloria
    July 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

do the chopped cherries go in the cake batter or used as decorations on frosting? Thanks

25. July 30, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I love how you made those beautiful cherries…so pretty!

July 30, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

@ Gloria: I put mine in the cupcake batter, but you can do either or both!

Hi @ JulieD: Thanks so much!

27. July 31, 2012 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Delicious! ;A;
    I’m Such a noob in making this. You’re a PRO! <3

28. August 4, 2012 at 9:56 am | Permalink

those cherries rock! I got on this glitter kick thanks to Martha and her incredible glitter (not for eating!) at Michaels. When Disco Dust hit the scene, I bought 12 different colors….its insane..and that red is my second favorite color right behind that amazing purple one!

29. August 8, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

These not only look gorgeous, they sound absolutely delicious too. I love the glittery cherries!

August 8, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Naw! @ Sheri, I’ll bet you’re not. xo

Love that color too, @ susie! That’s the last one I bought too.

Thanks, @ April @ The 21st Century Housewife!

31. August 12, 2012 at 1:02 am | Permalink

I must get some disco dust! These are so beautiful and cheerful! Love the cherries! :)

32. August 15, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

I gotta these cupcake they look so good

33. August 22, 2012 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Wow!! These are absolutely gorgeous! I have never printed a recipe so fast. Thank you for sharing your talents! Love the ruby red glam! ~ the Pig and Rabbit

34. August 23, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Not only are these yummy to look at, they sound like they are even yummier to eat!! The disco dust just enhances them! So cute! Thank you for sharing!

35. September 17, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

What a small world! I directed all of the KitchenAid commercials including the “Cook for the Cure” spot with Lynn Crawford. And here I am full circle, connected back to it by cupcakes! Amazing. Thrilled you found your cake stand!

36. November 9, 2012 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

LOVE everything about this ~ so creative

37. November 11, 2012 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

These recipe is amazing. I made these cupcakes last week and bring some for the gathering lunch, all my girls love it so much. Thank you for sharing here.

38. November 20, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

these cupcakes are so pretty

39. Annabelle
    December 31, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

What is the last ingredient listed used for? It’s the white food gel coloring? Love this post. Thanks.

December 31, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks everyone!!
    Hi @ Annabelle: I use it to color the frosting more white.

1. [...] Sweetopia Share : Pin ItTweet Posted by Miss Cupcake in Fruit Cupcakes, Special Event Cupcakes and [...]

2. [...] Via Sweetopia [...]

3. [...] Join me on this sweet journey by hosting your own cherry (or anything) kind of gathering. I’ve got a cherry cookie decorating tutorial for you below, and the recipe for these cherry coconut cupcakes is coming soon. (Update – Recipe can be found here). [...]

4. By Cheery Cherry Coconut Cupcake on May 26, 2013 at 12:28 pm

[...] source:   sweetopia.net [...]

5. [...] 2. Toasted Coconut Cupcakes 3. Toasted Coconut Caramel Cupcakes 4. Coconut Nutella Cupcakes 5. Cherry Cherry Coconut Cupcakes 6. Banana Orange Coconut Cupcakes 7. Mounds Inspired [...]

6. [...] 2. Toasted Coconut Cupcakes 3. Toasted Coconut Caramel Cupcakes 4. Coconut Nutella Cupcakes 5. Cherry Cherry Coconut Cupcakes 6. Banana Orange Coconut Cupcakes 7. Mounds Inspired [...]

7. [...] nice at-home cupcake.  And I have a feeling that these Cherry Coconut Cupcakes (recipe below from Sweetopia) are gonna be just [...]

8. By Weekly Winner #29 | my year of cupcakes on March 7, 2014 at 2:20 pm

[...] Cherry Coconut Cupcakes from Sweetopia.  Check out that tasty day here.  And, check back on March 31st to see how it does in the Monthly [...]