Mar 16

Mini Easter Decorated Cookies {Easter Tree}

sweetopia373-590x8851

You know what this tree reminds me of? When I was a little girl, I remember a book at school which was about magical seeds (or was it the magical ground?), where whatever was planted in that garden, a corresponding tree would grow. For example, if a hat was buried, a tree with hat fruit would grow, if a feather was planted, a feather tree would grow, and even, if money was planted, a money tree would grow. (Now wouldn’t that be nice!). I can vaguely picture the book… Cute illustrations and these colours remind me of the story as well. There may even have been an Easter tree.

A search on google didn’t help me find it, but the book was around in the 80’s when I was little… I’m not sure when it was published, but if you know the book I’m talking about, I would love if you would indulge my nostalgic ramblings and share what the name of it is.

It would have been a lot faster to pop one of these cookies in the ground and come back the next day to see this Easter tree there.

No, really… they weren’t hard to make. The part that took the longest was threading the ribbon through the tiny hole and tying little ribbons.

I forgot to make little holes in some of the cookies, and some of the holes were too small, (note to self – make them about 1/2 cm next time), so I had to adhere the ribbon to the back with icing.

If you decide to make these, I used a barbeque skewer to make the holes in the dough before I baked them.

And decorated them with royal icing, white non-pareils for the bunny tails, and black edible marker for the bunny eyes.

Thanks to The Flour Pot Cookie Book for the ribbon idea. They were the perfect little covering for the holes.

What can you use this Easter tree for? (Besides eating of course).

A cute centerpiece for Easter is one idea, and another – We’ll be putting it at the top of a cupcake tier for a charity event my classes are hosting in April.

They won’t be edible by then though, especially as I made these in late January for the on-line magazine My Little Jedi. I was thrilled to be asked to contribute to their Autumn issue (Australian). Vesna, the editor in chief, has created my absolute favorite on-line magazine around. When I saw the first issue, I’m pretty sure I literally gasped at all the loveliness. I love Vesna’s creativity and style, love the work her contributors have shared and am thankful to be included as one of them in her 3rd issue here. You can find more gorgeousness over on Vesna’s blog as well.

Have fun baking, browsing and pinning!

p.s. If you’d like to never miss a post, and/or receive more tips on cookie decorating, click on this button below to sign up:

p.s.s. Follow Me on Pinterest

1. March 16, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

super cute, and I always look at those trees at Micheal’s, and always think I will never use it, but if I put cookies on it how fun!

2. Terri
    March 16, 2012 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Absolutely beautiful! Where did you find the tree?

3. Michelle G.
    March 16, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

This is super cute and would make a beautiful centerpiece for Easter. What a great idea! I’m sorry but I don’t know that book.

4. Tatyana
    March 16, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

You are so creative! It’s so beautiful…

5. March 16, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

OMG this is so CUTE 😀 love it

6. March 16, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

What a wonderful idea. Your cookie tree idea can be used for any special event or Holiday!

7. March 16, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Congratulations on the magazine feature Marian. This edible Easter tree is so, so pretty. I love all the teeny cookies and your colour choices are just perfect for the season.

8. March 16, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

we did something similar for christmas one year. It was a christmas away from home and so for all our ornaments we made sugar cookies and hung them from the tree. It was so fun to just grab one off the tree whenever we wanted to eat one!

9. March 16, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Absolutely adorable! YOu are amazing!

10. March 16, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

That is one of the sweetest things I’ve ever seen!

11. March 16, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

That tree is just completely delightful! What a wonderful showpiece for the Easter table. I love the fluffy bunny tail on the little bunny!

12. March 16, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

so beautiful!!!! I love it!!!

13. March 16, 2012 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

What petite and precious little cookies! Perfect Easter centerpiece!

14. Maria
    March 16, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

how beautiful and cute….I love your colour combination.
    It does feel like spring…exellent post again.
    I dont know that book you are looking for.
    happy Easter!

15. Janet
    March 16, 2012 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Absolutely adorable!

16. March 16, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

So adorable. Love it!

17. March 16, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

So sweet! I love your bunny tails. I grew up with an Easter tree with treasured spring ornaments. They’ve inspired a few cookie creations for me, but never a whole tree!

18. Kimmie
    March 16, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

No carrot tree?

19. March 17, 2012 at 1:48 am | Permalink

wonderful marian
    extremely good taste!

20. March 17, 2012 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Too cute! I am in love!

21. March 17, 2012 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing!

22. March 17, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Oh my! These are incredibly cute, adorable and amazing. Beautiful. I’m loving how you’ve displayed them all too. Impressive work yet again.

23. Rachel
    March 18, 2012 at 2:46 am | Permalink

I love your Big bunny cookie with the real bunnies on the next page of ‘my little jedi’ too

24. Janette
    March 18, 2012 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Super cute! Where did you get the “tree”? I’d love to get something similar for our upcoming wedding.

March 18, 2012 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Hi @ Janette: It’s from Pier One. They also have a really cute green one now which looks more like a real tree.

Thanks for your comments everyone!

26. Katie
    March 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Wondering if you can recommend someone who can make/bake these for me? Love to bake but I have no decorating skills!

Thank you! Or at least where I can buy the cookie cutters? To give it a whirl!!

27. Tesei
    March 18, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

These definitely give a whole new meaning to the word “Cute”, how can anyone dare eat them? Congratulations as always on your work and specially on your article in the magazine! You must be so proud, I as your reader certainly am. Happy Sunday!

28. March 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

So incredibly sweet!

March 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

@ Katie: I honestly don’t remember where I bought those mini cutters from… it’s been years of collecting cookie cutters, and some I remember where I bought them from, and some I don’t. A search on google should help.
    If you would like someone to make them for you, click on the banner on the right hand side of my blog, which says, ‘Want to order some sweets’, and it will take you to a page of talented decorators.

@ Tesei: Well, how sweet was your comment. *Thank you!*

@ Tammy@DukeandDutch: Thank you! xo

30. Marian
    March 28, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

I love, love, love this tree. Where did you get the wire tree? It would be the perfect gift for my daughter-in-law.
    Yes I am a Marian too. The correct spelling for a woman as you well know.

March 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Well hello, @ Marian! It *is* a bit weird to be replying to a ‘Marian’ -it’s not often I see the same name around. Do you get lots of people calling you Marion, Marianne, Mariam etc. too? ;-D
    The tree is from Pier One Imports, and they also have a really cute light green one, which looks more like a tree. Have fun shopping!

32. Marian
    March 29, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

All of the above! Thanks for responding so quickly. All of your cookies are pure eye candy. Thanks so much for sharing with us. M

33. Marian
    March 30, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Oh Marian, I had the best day today. I went to our local Pier 1 and was able to purchase the wire ornament tree. I am going to bake some gingerbread cookies and see if I can come up with something a little different. It’s for my daughter-in-law. Also got to go to a wonderful candy store in Baltimore. The company name is Rhebs and they have been making candy in the basement of their house forever. I don’t know if you ever watched the I love Lucy reruns, but if you did the episode where Lucy and Ethel get a job in a candy factory was filmed at Rhebs. What a hoot. Anyway I just want to thank you telling me where to find the wire tree. Have a wonderful week-end.
    The other Marian

March 30, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

I still feel funny writing to ‘myself’ hee hee. Hi @ Marian, I’m so glad you had a great day! I can’t wait to see the photos of your tree with your cookies (please, pretty please share them somehow… not sure which social networks you like? Fb, flickr, instagram or Pinterest? Or am I missing one? Lol). I did watch I love Lucy reruns, but don’t remember that one – will watch out for Rhebs candy from now on!
    Have fun decorating and enjoy your weekend too!
    xo

35. Peaches in Ohio
    February 19, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Love your Easter (mini) cookies on the cute tree. Inspired me to order my supplies and make them for the holiday. Thank you for sharing. I will post once I’ve made them.

February 19, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Looking forward to seeing them @ Peaches in Ohio!

37. March 28, 2013 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Oh this is so cute! You are so talented! My little sister would love this!

38. July 11, 2013 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Love the tiny ribbons! : )

1. By Osterplätzchen als Zweigschmuck « ofenkieker on April 3, 2012 at 12:09 pm

[…] bin ich hier mal auf eine ganz bezaubernde Idee für Osterschmuck gestoßen. Und weil ich dann beim Shoppen […]

2. […] Mini Decorated Cookies hanging from white tree branches from Sweetopia. Adorable. […]

3. […] Little Jedi.  She took the photographs of me holding cookies and these Easter posts here and here, and is the sweetest and most talented photographer who did my brother's wedding […]

4. […] Sweetopia.com, an incredible Mini Easter Cookie Tree – oh. my. goodness!  I know this idea is way more involved than what I can do, but I just […]

5. By The Easter Egg, Re-Imagined | SMP Craft on March 31, 2014 at 11:25 am

[…] Easter Tree With charming bunnies, carrots, and heart shapes, this endearing Easter tree from Sweetopia looks too sweet to simply eat. This cookie Easter tree features cute shortbread cookies hung with […]

6. By Easter Cookie Ideas | Sweetopia on March 29, 2015 at 6:19 pm