Mar 11

How to Make St. Patrick’s Day Decorated Cookies

Happy St. Patrick’s Day! (Well, soon). :-) Have you been preparing for the holiday in any way? I’m officially in love with the colour green after decorating these. I don’t know why I haven’t made St. Paddy’s Day cookies before – the colours are so fun and vibrant, and the designs (well, besides one of them I’ll tell you about in a second), easy to create. If you’re looking for a fun and fairly easy project to celebrate the day, these cookies double as good luck charms and sweet treats.

Continuing on with my last post where I shared 50+ Cookie Decorating Secrets, I’ve got a few more “secrets” to share with you today. Let’s just say, had I been paying more attention to my decorating and less attention to HGTV (a new favorite channel pre-occupation), I probably wouldn’t have this first one to share with you:

So, a few minutes after I had covered a top hat cookie with black icing, I realized that a leprechaun’s hat is usually green. *Gasp!* I didn’t have any more dough to make more cookies, so I thought I’d try scraping the icing off.

It worked! Only the outer edges had hardened, so they took a little more effort to remove, but as long as I scraped the icing off in the direction of the center of the cookie so that the edges didn’t get smudged with black, I was able to cover everything over with a fresh coat of green icing. Hurray for small victories!

I decided to keep one hat black anyways for a little bit of variety. (And less effort. Lol).

My inspiration for the pot of gold cookies came from this set of of stickers at Michael’s. When I saw them, I knew I wanted to try and re-create my own pot of gold. Too bad it’s just a cookie and not the real thing, hey!

The rainbow below is inspired by the same image, and of course, is covered in my favorite, disco dust.  You should know that the quest for finding out if disco dust will be FDA approved is on-going. Apparently, it’s being researched, and for now is considered non-toxic. What does that mean? Not harmful if ingested, but in my humble opinion, a good rule of thumb – everything in moderation.

Sooo, the rainbow I made here probably doesn’t fall under the same category as moderation; I just had to try and see how it looked! If you’d like to make these and are concerned about disco dust, you can always make the disco dust-free version. (Or use less).

The same rule goes for the gold luster dust I used on the belt buckle and gold coins. Less sparkly, but here is the pot of gold cookie without it:

On a random note, although I’m often mistaken for being Irish as I’ve got reddish-brown hair (auburn, they say), freckles and green eyes, I’m not, and I don’t know a whole lot about the Irish traditions behind St. Patty’s Day, so if you happen to know more about the holiday, please feel free to share in the comment section below. I don’t think I’ll count these as belonging to my Around the World cookie series, as it’s such a beautiful country, I’d love to revisit the theme.

If you’d like to try making these, here’s what I used and how I made them…

How to make decorated cookies for St. Patrick’s Day:

What you’ll need to make these cookies:

If you need some more guidance, a good place to start is with this Cookie Decorating Tutorial, and two videos on Icing Consistency and How to Pipe Icing Lines.

How to Make a Pot of Gold Decorated Cookie

Before you begin these cookies, you should know that they’re a bit time consuming. I made 3 of them… I wouldn’t recommend more. Lol. Maybe use these as a couple of your ‘glam’ cookies to highlight the easier four-leaf clovers. It was the punching out of the circles which actually took the longest. My finger started to hurt a bit from pressing the piping tip into the fondant, but I’ll stop whining and just recommend you watch some T.V. or YouTube while you’re doing it, and then it’ll seem to go much faster.

What I really enjoyed about making these pot-of-gold cookies was actually the painting of the coins. It was somehow satisfying getting the gold to cover all the little coins. I don’t know why… Chalk it up to the cookie nerdness. (Or simple mind = simple pleasures). ;-)

1. Once cookies are baked and have cooled, flood cookies with royal icing and let dry. (Please see the tutorial section if you need a how-to on flooding).

2. Massage yellow gel coloring into your fondant. Depending on how many cookies you use, you will need more or less fondant. For 3 pot-of-gold cookies and 3 belt buckles, a golf ball size amount worked well. If you need a how to on rolling fondant or gumpaste out, please see the video HERE.

3. Punch out ‘gold coins’ with a #10 piping tip.

4. Using tweezers, adhere ‘gold coins’ to cookie with royal icing. Let dry overnight.

5. Mix one part gold luster dust to three parts clear extract or vodka. (The spoon pictured above is actually a whimsical ‘pinch’ spoon).

6. Paint luster dust onto coins.

7. Roll and cut out a piece of black fondant for the lip of the pot of gold, and attach with royal icing.

How to Make Four-Leaf Clover (Shamrock) Decorated Cookies

Marbling royal icing has got to be one of my favorite, if not the favorite, decorating technique for me. It’s easy, fun, and the creative possibilities are endless!

Below is a pictorial on how to make the marbled, four leaf clover cookies.

You may like the following posts on marbling as well:

This last shamrock cookie is simple to make and has a nice satisfying crunch to it, when you bite into this chocolaty sweetness. The sanding sugar on the edges gives it that crunch, and is easy to apply. Once your first base layer of icing has dried, pipe a line of icing around the perimeter, and sprinkle sanding sugar on top right away.

Even easier, but clean and classic, the four leaf clover below just has a simple outline of icing.

A few notes:

• The fondant top hat buckle above is made using small, square cutters, but if you don’t own the cutters, a paring knife can do the trick.
  • The pot of gold, 4 leaf clover, and hat cookie cutters are from CopperGifts.com, but the rainbow was hand cut. I use edible ink marker any time I’m working with drawing templates.

• The shamrock cutters are from an old set of tiny cutters (from my father), but I’m sure some searching on Google will help you find a version as well. If you’d like to share your findings, please feel free to come back and comment here.
  • Another option would be to connect 3 or 4 tiny heart shapes.

So I hope you enjoy (possibly) making these, have a happy St. Patty’s day and join me later on this week for a wee little celebration of sorts (40, 000 facebook fan thank you!), where I’ll be giving away a little something.

Wishing you lots of luck and happy decorating!

p.s. If you’d like to never miss a post, and/or receive more tips on cookie decorating, click on this button below to sign up:

p.s.s. Follow Me on Pinterest

1. Marinessa
    March 11, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

These cookies are adorable. I love your site and all of your beautifully decorated cookies.

2. March 11, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Okay. Let me get this straight. YOU MADE YOUR OWN TINY GOLD COINS?!!!! Oh my goodness. That is straight dedication right there. I mean, it looks AMAZING!! And I LOVE the way you added the rainbow out the top. And your “simple” shamrock is SO PRETTY!!!

3. March 11, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Such a wonderful idea on making your own gold coins…gets me to thinking creatively! The cookies are beautiful. :)

4. March 11, 2012 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Wow – Your gold coins are genius! Thanks too for the luster dust to vodka ratios for true shimmer saturation (in moderation, of course). (:

5. Mary Sanavia
    March 11, 2012 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

“cookie nerdness”…..hilarious! I think it’s a condition many of us have (lol).Your cookies look beautiful, as always, but my favorite has to be the pot o’ gold, so cute! and that rainbow of piping bags..I love that picture.

6. donna
    March 12, 2012 at 12:03 am | Permalink

Beautiful as always! How’d you get the outline on the top hat to stay shiny?

7. Sara
    March 12, 2012 at 12:22 am | Permalink

Wow!! These are once again beautiful!! Those coins are really creative! Not only am I amazed at your cookie decorating skills, but photography too! Love the picture of your piping bags.
    Way to go!!

8. March 12, 2012 at 3:51 am | Permalink

Ohhhhhhmy goodness, I love that pot of gold, sweetie!
    Looks so so good!
    So great to see another post from you on a Monday, makes it less hard haha.. thank you Marian!

St. Patrick’s Day is even celebrated in Germany with a huge parade in Munich! That’s awesome, isn’t it.

Have a good start into the week,
    much much love from Deutschlandddd :D

niner

9. March 12, 2012 at 5:04 am | Permalink

Wow wow Marian you are so creative and amazing. Love love

10. March 12, 2012 at 7:35 am | Permalink

so cute, I so would have given up after just one pot of gold cookie, but they are so cute!

11. March 12, 2012 at 7:44 am | Permalink

Love all of your cookie designs. You are so very talented and obviously patient. Too pretty to eat!

12. March 12, 2012 at 7:52 am | Permalink

Wow, these are awesome. Again, you’re so amazingly talented. I’m loving the tutorial. I have been looking for the pot of gold cookie cutter locally myself but my local decorating stores don’t stock or sell. Online is going to have to be the way forward.

Also, just wanted to let you know that I linked to your blog from my blog too. I love your blog and work and felt it was link worthy on mine. :)

Keep on baking and posting! :)
    -Lisa.

13. alicia
    March 12, 2012 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh! Fabulous.
    You are so inspiring.
    I love you work. I am a cake girl but jeez your cookies are making me itch to make Royal Icing – ;)
    I actually did start trying my hand at cookies after discovering your site!

14. March 12, 2012 at 8:26 am | Permalink

That pot of gold is simply amazing. Making your own gold coins……wow. Fantastic job!

15. March 12, 2012 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Those gold coins are amazing! I’m so impressed :) What a wonderful idea.

16. Kim
    March 12, 2012 at 9:24 am | Permalink

I had the opportunity to visit Ireland for St. Patricks Day 4 years ago. It really was a beautiful country. We were able to see it when it was still considered the Celtic Tiger. Things were pretty expensive, but it was beautiful! One misconception that I had was I was told that in Ireland for St. Paddy’s Day everyone would go to church and have dinner with their families. Well, if the amount of people in the bars were any indication, this was not really a family affair:) The bars were packed!!! People drinking on the streets. It was quite a party! Also something I didnt know…If you are protestant you wear orange and if you are catholic you wear green.

17. Maria
    March 12, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink

wow…Marian,beautiful work again.Like every thing you make and create looks and is so talented and amazing!
    love it….

18. March 12, 2012 at 9:58 am | Permalink

These are great, and those gold coins remind me of a candy from when I was a kid. Just can’t wrap my Monday morning brain around it. The details! Fantastic!

March 12, 2012 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Thanks for all your comments! xo

@ Georganne (LilaLoa): Dedication or I don’t know what! Lol.

@ Mary Sanavia: I’m glad I’m not the only one. ;-)

@ donna: The icing was wet there. There is a post in the tutorial section discussing the ‘shiny’ topic though. Here it is for you: http://sweetopia.net/2011/11/gluten-free-coconut-cupcakes-with-coconut-frosting-shiny-royal-icing/

HI @ niner // sweet treats! That’s so cool that it’s celebrated all over the world! Will you be making some St. Patty’s day treats?

@ Sue @ Cakeballs, cookies and more: Ha, ha! I almost did, but since I was trying different things out, I wanted to experiment a bit.

@ Lois Black: I don’t know about the patient part – am working on it! But thank you. =)

Hi @ Lisa @ Sweet 2 Eat Baking: Thank you so much! On my way to see yours too.

@ alicia: Neat! I admire cake decorators, having dipped my toe into cake decorating just a bit. Sooo many things to learn.. kinda nice; we’ll be learning for as long as we have this ‘hobby’, I think!

Hi @ Kim: Cool, thanks for sharing. Made me giggle with the church/bar part. A friend of mine went there for her honeymoon and she said it was such a beautiful country… It’s on my list to visit for sure!

20. March 12, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

That some pretty tiny fondant work on the coins but the time and effort certainly paid off! The effect is wonderful. All of these cookies are great and I love how you made the little shamrock swirls within the shamrocks.

21. Beth
    March 12, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink

I love these cookies! I have shamrock cutters and have made St. Patty’s cookies before, but not this beautiful. I want to try the marbling this year. I wonder if you could use yellow round sprinkles for the gold coins instead of cutting out all the fondant coins?

22. March 12, 2012 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Hi Marian, love all your cookies deco.
    They are so awesome.
    Thanks for sharing..:)

23. Georgia
    March 12, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

I love the decorated pot with the rainbow. I can’t decide which I like better – the rainbow plain or with the sparking sugars. I assume making the coins took at least half of the time to make those cookies. Thank you for all the ideas and instructions.

24. March 12, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian, These are excellent!!… I will totally using these ideas for this weekend!. I did few leprechaun’s hats these weekend and, last minute i was in a hurry and I used sparkling sugar to finished few of them they turn really cute too!..
    Thank you again for your Excellent Post!!!
    Veronica.

25. Tina
    March 12, 2012 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Once again…perfection!! Thank you for all the inspiration!

26. March 12, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Your cookies are so clever! I am in awe!

27. March 12, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

These are perfect!!!!! I love the teeny tiny coins. I may have to try making some of these.
    Thanks for sharing!

28. Lindsey labrie
    March 12, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

What a wonderfull cookies, speechless.
    In holland we don’t celebrate st patrick’s, but i still love the cookies especially the rainbow disco dust….

Greetings from holland

29. March 12, 2012 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Freeze me in my tracks. I can’t believe the artistry you bring to every cookie you touch. Stunning! Such a great tutorial, too. Thank you.

30. March 14, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

These cookies are gorgeous! Such a shame St. Patricks day isn’t celebrated in Holland (as far as i know).

31. March 14, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Do you have any tips for creating straight-line rainbows on cookies? I plan to do a two layer cookie for my daughter’s birthday favors. I want the bottom cookie to be a rainbow to match the favor tags, but I’m worried about keeping the lines straight and the colors from bleeding? Any advice would be much appreciated!

March 14, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Audrey L.: Absolutely – For the lines, I used a projector to trace, but you could use an edible ink marker and draw the lines in. It doesn’t matter if you make mistakes… you’ll cover the marker lines anyways.

Bleeding…. Pipe the red first, then the yellow, then the blue… let those set and then do the other colours. Please see my tutorial section for a post on bleeding too. Good luck and have fun!

You completely could @ Beth; they would taste great too!

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

So cute @ Veronica!

33. March 15, 2012 at 9:23 am | Permalink

I love how your coins were done, I tried using thick RI,but could not get the look that was in my head!! This is it! I never though to use fondent! I am going to give this a try,I have a big order for a friends 25th St. Patrick’s Day Bash! Thanks for all yor tutorial’s!

34. March 15, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

@ marian:
    Thanks so much!

35. March 16, 2012 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Super…super…super

36. March 20, 2012 at 11:12 am | Permalink

I LOVE those post of gold, Marian! So incredibly cute!

37. Terri
    May 31, 2012 at 2:09 am | Permalink

The shamrock cookies look like they are chocolate. Do you have a recipe?

38. cakesandkittens
    June 21, 2012 at 2:54 am | Permalink

Wow its amazing but theirs NO way I’m making thos its waaaaaaaayyyyy to time consuming nd tedius to add on those tiny lil gold coinbuy one

39. March 13, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

I love the pot of gold and the rainbow

40. March 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

I love this tutorial. I think my favorite is the gold pieces. That is a really inspired idea. Your cookies are really beautiful and your pictures are lovely. Thanks for all the awesome ideas in your tutorials. I will definitely be haunting your site for ideas.

41. October 16, 2013 at 2:40 am | Permalink

These look great!

42. October 26, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

I just like the valuable info you supply for your articles.
    I will bookmark your blog and take a look at again right here frequently.
    I’m reasonably certain I’ll be told many new stuff proper right here!

Best of luck for the next!

1. By Food & Recipes | Pearltrees on March 14, 2012 at 2:46 am

[...] St. Patrick's Day Decorated Cookies | Sweetopia This chocolate dough is yummy, but I still think I can make it a smidgen better, so will continue experimenting until I’ve got it just right. If you’d like to try other cookie recipes I use, you can find them by clicking on the recipe section at the top of the blog. My inspiration for the pot of gold cookies came from this set of of stickers at Michael’s. [...]

2. [...] Treat Ideas: Fun cookies ideas from Sweetopia; Lucky Charm Cupcakes found on Cutestfood; green fruit salad from Real Mom Kitchen; Shamrock Shakes [...]

3. [...] St. Patrick’s Day Cookies & Tutorial {Sweetopia} [...]

4. By 51 Tutorials for St. Patrick's Day Sweets on February 25, 2013 at 6:06 am

[...] St. Patrick’s Day Rainbow In Pot of Gold Cookies by [...]

5. By 17 Awesome St. Patrick’s Day Recipes on March 4, 2013 at 5:00 am

[...] Pot of Gold Cookies by [...]

6. By an irish tea | live happy on March 5, 2013 at 1:35 pm

[...] a moment, today, to pause…  I have included a couple of recipes for you to enjoy. (Click HERE for those beautiful Shamrock Cookies from “Sweetopia“.)  Perhaps it will be your [...]

7. [...] Source: Sweetopia [...]