Mar 30

Frostalicious Birthday Party Frosting

Sweet, delicious, sugary frosting.

You know, the kind you had at other children’s birthday parties – or maybe it was your party (lucky you). My mom usually made a bundt cake with powdered sugar or drizzled chocolate on top for us, which I also loved (you can see how I’m eyeing up my brother’s birthday cake here… it wasn’t going to last long), but I did love that sweet frosting too.

And neither will the icing recipe I’m about to share with you. It’s the the kind of icing you just may have eaten all by itself if you could have. The kind where the cake was just an afterthought.

It’s really actually a frosting, as it’s that ‘really-not-very-healthy-for-you-in-any-way’ kind of icing. Instead of butter, it contains shortening & margarine, (the only recipe I use with those products), but in my humble opinion, as an ‘adult’, secretly think it tastes like sweet heaven. I do have to say, I think butter is always better, and there’s nothing like a decadent or even light Swiss Meringue Buttercream or Italian Buttercream, but sometimes, I’m just in the mood for some nostalgic, sugary, birthday party frosting.

It may seem ironic that I chat about health on a blog named Sweetopia, but oddly enough, it’s a topic that’s on my mind a lot. Even though I don’t always manage it (sometimes I can’t say no even after my second {or third – eep} cookie, for example), I try to limit the amount of sweets I eat per day. As I mentioned, it doesn’t always work and some days are better than others, but for the most part I try to live by the ‘everything in moderation’ guideline. So I do have to mention that I don’t think shortening or margarine are the best things to be eating; however, if eaten in small amounts and not on a regular basis, a little bit is okay. (That’s just me though). If you prefer not to share those products with your children, clients, friends, family, etc., you can find other options in my recipe section here or other delicious choices on Melissa’s site, Best friends for Frosting, where she’s rounded up icing recipes from around the net.

I’ve noticed that icing preference seems to fall into two camps – Buttercream as the ‘grown up’ icing and frosting for the kids. Most of the teenagers I teach still prefer the frosting too. Me, well, it depends on my mood. Sometimes a nice light buttercream or a rich chocolatey one, and sometimes, the old frosting favorite.

Frosting Recipe

{Click here to print the recipe}

Making a Cupcake Swirl

And if you’d like a basic guide on how to frost a cupcake with the classic swirl, click here to find my {video} guest post on Food Bloggers of Canada. Ethan of Tastes Better with Friends, who has co-founded FBC alongside Mardi of eat. live. travel. write. and Melissa of Eyes Bigger Than My Stomach, asked me to create a simple how-to video on frosting a cupcake, and you’ll be able to find a host of other great food-related articles there to keep you busy for quite a while!

So, what kind of icing do you like? Does it depend on what you’re making? And since I’ve shared my cupcake swirl video, do you have a favorite piping tip to decorate your cupcakes?

Happy decorating!

p.s. Here’s a sneak peek of the next post, my submission for a spring cookie collaboration of sorts. Can you guess what this is supposed to be?

p.s.s. If you’d like to never miss a post, and/or receive more tips on cookie decorating, click on this button below to sign up:

p.s.s.s. Follow Me on Pinterest

1. Emma
    February 4, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

If I were to use 1/4 or 1/3 of this recipe, could I forgo using a mixer?

February 8, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

HI @ Emma:
    I’ve never tried it, but i’m sure you could; it seems like a small enough amount.

3. Caitlan
    April 3, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I’m making cupcakes for my nephew’s 1st birthday party! Is this frosting recipe okay to add food coloring to?

April 3, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Yes, @ Caitlan: Absolulety you can!

5. Caitlan
    April 3, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Thank you so much! @ marian:

6. Emily
    April 25, 2013 at 5:57 am | Permalink

Hi Marian – I was wondering if you knew how well this icing would hold up in the heat. I live in the Caribbean and am making cupcakes for a beach party. I’ve learned my lesson to not use buttercream for an outdoor party here! I was worried about the margarine in this recipe.

Thanks!

7. April 25, 2013 at 8:25 am | Permalink

HI @ Emily: I’m sorry to say, these are sensitive to the heat too! :( Good luck with everything! xo

8. Lucia
    May 14, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Hola, buenas noches, soy de Argentina me encataria hacer la receta del frosting pero no me doy cuenta las medidas que tengo que usar, me podrian ayudar? muchas gracias saludos!!

9. Haneem
    May 16, 2013 at 2:28 am | Permalink

Hello,

LOVE your website, you are truly blessed with an amazing talent.
    Is there an alternative to using shortening? Here in Cape Town, South Africa…we don’t seem to stock it.

Many thanks

10. Candy
    May 17, 2013 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Hi! Just tried this recipe to replace my buttercream and I love it! The kids do too! So, after I swirl my cupcakes, where should I store them until the party? The fridge or is covered on the counter okay? I worry that if I refrigerate, the frosting will get too hard to the touch. Thanks!!

May 20, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

HI @ Haneem: You could substitute both the margarine and shortening with butter; it’ll be a bit different in flavour and texture (more buttery of course), but will work.

HI @ Candy: Yes, put them in the fridge if you’re not serving them right away. Take them out again an hour or so before service, so they can soften a bit.

12. julie
    June 18, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

I’m unsure what u mean by meringue

13. julie
    June 18, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Sorry scrap that comment. I’m half asleep on phone without glasses lol

14. Sarah
    June 19, 2013 at 2:51 am | Permalink

@ Haneem:
    Hi Haneem,
    I am also in South Africa and I use the Wooden Spoon White margarine for frosting. You can mix it with butter if you want but it is perfect on it’s own. There is a brand of white fat available here called Holsum which is the equivalent of the American, Crisco shortening but I have never used it in frosting.

15. Erin
    August 5, 2013 at 7:32 am | Permalink

How do you think te icing would behave if I used coconut oil instead of margarine? My daughter has a dairy and soy allergy and I’m looking for a good frosting recipe I can freeze. Do you think I could still freeze it with the coconut oil?

August 5, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Hi Erin,
      I’m not sure how will it will mix and freeze with the coconut oil, sorry!

16. Nancy
    August 5, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Hi Marion, could you please tell what brand of white butter you use and where I can find it. Thank-you

August 5, 2013 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Hi Nancy, I’ve bought it through a local restaurant supply store in the past (it’s really white), and here’s the link; http://www.stewartfoodservice.com/catalog/search/?q=white+margarine&x=-1349&y=-210

It’s called Golden Gate. If you’re not able to order through a restaurant supply store, you can use any margarine from a grocery store (I’ve done that as well, and usually buy Becel), and just color it white.

Hope that helps!

17. Afsheen saleem
    August 15, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

whats the difference between a frosting and butter cream?
    in those love cupcakes u have given butter cream recipe and in this one you have given frosting recipe, well i am a bit confused as to which one is better in terms of taste and in terms of decorating? sine i am planing to decorated cupcakes on my nephew birthday :)
    before i forget, i am also gonna make your sugar cookies which they all love :) and i will be decorating them aw well with your royal icing recipe which they luv too:D
    we dont get meringue over here so used egg whites with the same quantity as meringue, it worked:D without the addition of vanilla.i will b puttig vanilla essence as well next time :D
    U ROCK MARIAN!! xoxox

18. gazala
    August 18, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

what can we substitue shortening with?

19. Heather
    October 10, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I have left over icing in my freezer and am wanting to defrost it and use it today how do I go about doing this so it stays fluffy and don’t split

20. Debra
    October 30, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

I can’t get white margarine where I live…can I use unsalted butter instead…?

October 30, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Absolutely, yes you can!

21. Kim
    October 31, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Marian, you do such beautiful work!

22. December 20, 2013 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

I noticed that your round colored sprinkles are quite thick. What brand are they (I’m in Canada). The ones I have are super thin :(

January 2, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Hi Ruby,
      They’re from Bulk Barn!

23. Amna Fraz
    February 13, 2014 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Approximately how many medium sized cupcakes would this frost?

24. Vart
    April 17, 2014 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Dear Marian,

can i use Butter instead of margarine and shortening?

• MiamiBeachMom
      August 18, 2014 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Vart, she’s already responded the same question above – Absolutely!

25. Tonya
    November 1, 2014 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

What is icing sugar, and where do I buy it? I have never used it before.

November 3, 2014 at 7:51 am | Permalink

Hi Tonya,
      Icing sugar is another name for powdered sugar or confectioner’s sugar.

26. Tonya
    November 11, 2014 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks Marian one more question. How many cups is 2 lbs. of sugar? I buy my sugar in bulk and am unsure how cups messure into lbs. Thanks.

1. [...] moist, fluffy, golden-delicious cupcakes are easy to make, and the swirl of frosting easy to create. I’ve created a video which you can find at the end of this post, to show you [...]

2. [...] The frosting recipe I used can be found here. [...]

3. [...] icing recipe [...]

4. [...] You may have noticed that one of the icings looks more ivory. The deeper shade of ivory is cream cheese icing, and the lighter icing is vanilla frosting. [...]