Mar 25

Gluten-Free Decorated Cookies

Can you guess which cartoon character is on this decorated cookie?

Here’s another hint:

It’s Bob the Tomato from Veggie Tales and these cookies are gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, decorated cookies.  How’s that for a mouthful?

Actually, I have to say that they’re not the best tasting cookies ever, but apparently a sweet-tooth like me just needs my palette to adjust to the new ingredients.  I’ve included a link to the recipe at the end of this post if you’d like to try it out.

It’s kind of funny… ‘healthy’ vegetable characters on a healthier cookie.  I wish I could say I planned it that way!

There’s a reason behind making this special recipe, and his name is Henry.  My sweet nephew has a autism, and besides therapy, his diet is extremely important in terms of his overall health and behaviour.  He can’t have any gluten, dairy or soy, and can only have sugar infrequently and in tiny amounts.  Only small amounts of a cookie like this per day… or even every few days.  (He’s on the far right in this picture):

He’s completely into Veggie Tales, so these cookies were part of his Christmas gift this year.  I didn’t end up getting a pic of him opening them, but he was happy with them and noticed all the details.

If you’d like to try these gluten-free, soy-free, dairy free cookies, click here for the recipe.

Quick note; I did end up using this rice flour and Earth Balance natural buttery spread, and would love to hear if you like these or other gluten-free or dairy-free food products.

Happy baking to you!

1. Candy Lane
    March 25, 2010 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

This is Fabulous! My mother-in-law is on the same kind of diet and it kills her that she rarely can have what I make. THANKS!

2. March 25, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Marian, you are queen of all things cookies!

3. March 25, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Funny, I was just thinking today that I need to find me a good gluten free sugar cookie recipe. Then I sat down at the computer and here was this post. Thanks for the like. And my kids love Veggie Tales too.

4. March 25, 2010 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I make cookies like this too. I also started making them for my nephew who is allergic to like everything. They do taste good, but just different. I got better results with the Earth Balance sticks, because I think they contain less water and act more like real butter.

They look great!

5. March 25, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Yum thanks! I have a gluten sensitivity and I always love when someone caters to me, I am sure he was tickled! And your icing work is always amazing!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com

6. March 25, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Candy Lane; I hope she likes them! I’m not a huge fan of them, but then again, I’m not used to those ingredients.

Heba, thanks for the suggestion; I’ll try the Earth Balance sticks!

Renee; I think that’s your title!

Amanda DaybyDay; so glad it came at the right time!

7. March 25, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

absolutely beautiful!

8. March 25, 2010 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Wow, Marian! These are just perfect! I’ve had numerous requests for gluten-free cookies…I’ll be sure to send them this way. :)

Cute little guys in the picture!!! I’m sure your nephew is so happy to have cookies her can eat!

9. March 25, 2010 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

These cookies are lovely!! My cousin has autism as well. I bet he would love these.

10. March 26, 2010 at 3:38 am | Permalink

Awwww, Marian, what a wonderful aunt you are!

As always, your cookies are OMGOMGMOMGOMGOMGOAGMALSFLASFA JAFJLASJFLJASFL FABULOUS! Excuse the random letters, I always get so excited and hyper when I see your beautiful creations!

Like everyone says, you are the queen of all things cookie! I praise you. Bow.

11. March 26, 2010 at 4:40 am | Permalink

They look wonderful. We love Veggie Tales at my house too. Also wonderful that your family is so aware of what’s best for your sweet nephew. : )

12. March 26, 2010 at 9:12 am | Permalink

I have celiac disease and have to be gluten free…these look so amazing! You’re really talented! I don’t have a good sugar cookie recipe so I’ll have to check this one out!!

Thanks!!

13. March 26, 2010 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Great looking cookies, and how very sweet of you to make them.

14. Jennifer M.
    March 26, 2010 at 10:38 am | Permalink

I’m so glad to see this recipe! Did you use your normal recipe for royal icing?

15. March 26, 2010 at 10:52 am | Permalink

These are fabulous Marian! My son was obsessed with Veggie Tales when he was younger. He carried his little asparagus, Junior to preschool for two years straight. Love em’

16. March 26, 2010 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Jennifer, I did wonder if I could use my usual icing with Henry because of the sugar content, but his Mom said the ingredients were fine, he just can’t have a lot of each cookie at a time.

My royal icing recipe is in this post here if you’re interested:

17. March 26, 2010 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Healthy, unhealthy-doesnt mattter because u always make them lok stunninggggggggggggggggggg!

18. Jenny
    March 26, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

we love veggietales! how sweet of you to make them for your nephew. :)

19. March 26, 2010 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

wow…. Marian, very cute and colorful….you’r sooooooooooo talented!

20. March 26, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

oh i’m SO glad you posted this! i’m on a gluten-free journey myself and this will be something i’ll be trying!

and by the way…i cannot WAIT to see the cookies you did for kim @ the tomkat studio…hugs!

21. March 26, 2010 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

your cookies look really pretty!!!

congratulations! :D you have an award. please feel free to check it out here. :D thank you! http://blissfulnibbles.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-first-award.html

22. March 26, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Phenomenal, as usual! :)

23. March 27, 2010 at 5:32 am | Permalink

Marian, these are, as usual, so pretty and so clever. Did you use the icing recipe listed as well? That’s been a worry of mine when I’m asked for vegan cookies.

24. March 27, 2010 at 7:30 am | Permalink

WOW!! These are adorable! Henry is so lucky to have an aunt like you!

I have made a wheat-free/corn-free cookie, but have yet to try gluten-free dough. I picked up some of Bob’s RM GF all-purpose baking flour last week to use in my regular sugar cookie recipe, and it suggested I add xanthan gum…curious to see how it turns out. I would think the royal icing would mask out any funky flavors…were you able to use meringue powder?

25. Noelle
    March 27, 2010 at 7:54 am | Permalink

What an interesting post! I follow a GF diet as well and use a homemade GF flour blend in my baking that most people can’t tell the difference with. Funny enough I’ve never tried it with the decorated cookies, as I usually make them for others not myself. I will say that GF processed foods are usually not very good, so I’m sure your nephew was very grateful for something that was good!

Considering the use of Earth Balance, I can’t comment on whether taht or the rice flour caused the taste difference, as I still use dairy ingredients. But you (or anyone else reading this blog) are certainly welcome to my GF flour recipe – just let me know.

Your cookies are beautiful as always. You certainly make me want to buy a CopyCake and experiment with it…

26. March 27, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Those look amazing as usual and I love that you were able to make them gluten free for your nephew. I am sure he loved them.

27. March 27, 2010 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Wow! They are awesome! I love them so much^^

28. March 28, 2010 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Well I LOVE Veggie Tales and LOVE proper diet stuff and LOVE this whole post!! Your cookies are absolutely perfect and I love that you are trying new things for the people you love.

Blessings!
    Amanda

29. Dana
    April 1, 2010 at 7:08 am | Permalink

My daughter has egg and nut allergy so it is very hard for me to find recipes for her that she likes the flavor. I have found some cookies/cakes product from a company called Cherrybrook Kitchen and they are gluten free, peanut free, dairy free, egg free, wheat free and nut free–I have NO idea what is IN them, but they are actually kind of good–my daughter doesn’t like them, but the rest of the family does! hahaha They have a slight banana flavor :)

Their website is cherrybrookkitchen.com–I just noticed they use the white rice flour too.

The consistency is the same, the flavor is just a little different. You can still decorate the cookies :) .

30. April 1, 2010 at 7:15 am | Permalink

Thanks so much Dana! I can’t wait to try those out!

31. August 5, 2010 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Great article – those are some beautiful cookies you decorated.

32. ElizaBeth
    February 19, 2011 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

We prefer Pamela’s Baking mix, but off the top of my head I can’t remember if it’s soy free. Jule’s is another good GF baking mix we use from time to time.

February 19, 2011 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

@ Adam Golomb: Thank you!
    @ ElizaBeth: Thanks for sharing!

34. Becci
    June 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Yay, finally a topic that I have expertise in!
    I have coeliac disease, an allergy to wheat, gluten, barley, oats and rye. We bake a lot, cakes mostly but some biscuits.
    I use gluten free flours, in fact I’ve never tried rice flour. I live in England so I don’t know if you have Doves Farm, Juvela or Glutafin in America but I’m sure there are alternatives. Home baking is so much better, there isn’t much available in shops and what is there it’s a bit of a pik’n'mix on the quality and taste.

35. July 6, 2011 at 8:24 am | Permalink

@ Noelle:
    I’d love to have your flour recipe. I’ve had several requests for gluten free. I also have a request for vegan…I’m still searching for that recipe.

36. August 21, 2011 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

I know this is an old post, but I’m hoping you’ll still see the comment…

I have a toddler who outgrew her egg and milk allergies and a 4 month old who currently has a milk allergy. I have done quite a bit of allergen-free baking over the last 2+ years, and I LOVE Earth Balance. It bakes beautifully and I often use it when I don’t need to for allergy reasons. Also, (and your sister – or sister-in-law – may enjoy this for your nephew) I could not have managed much baking at all without the help of an amazing cookbook: The Allergen Free Bakers Handbook by Cybele Pascal. Every recipe is free of the top 8 allergens and the recipes are fantastic. Even after my daughter outgrew her allergies (and before the little one was born), I still relied on her recipes because they were so wonderful. And, she often uses honey or agave or other natural sweeteners instead of sugar. She has a brown sugar roll out cookie for decorating, too.

37. August 21, 2011 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

@ Dianne:
    Dianne: Cybele Pascal’s book, the Allergen Free Bakers Handbook provides a flour mix that is free of all top 8 allergens. She also has it on her website (cybelepascal.com), under ingredients:

BASIC GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR MIX

Makes 6 cups

4 cups superfine brown rice flour

1 1/3 cups potato starch (not potato flour)

2/3 cup tapioca flour (also called tapioca starch)

1. To measure flour, use a large spoon to scoop flour into the measuring cup, then level it off with the back of a knife. Do NOT use the measuring cup itself to scoop your flour when measuring! It will compact the flour and you will wind up with too much for the recipe. Combine all ingredients in a gallon-size Ziploc bag. Shake until well blended. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.

• Connie Beal
      September 30, 2013 at 7:29 am | Permalink

Why store it in the refrigerator?

38. August 21, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much @ Audrey L.! This is invaluable information – i’ll definitely be trying it out!

39. Jenny Sanchez
    February 15, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

These are perfect! My youngest son is turning 2 in a few weeks and we’re having a Veggie Tales party. We’re attempting to do gluten-free, dairy-free around here, so I was researching some ideas for dessert. There’s no way I can do the characters on top…any chance I could pay you to make them for me? Just a thought…thanks!

40. February 19, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Jenny Sanchez: I’m sorry, I don’t do orders. The people on my decorator directory do though. Click on the banner on the right which says, “Want to order some sweets?”

41. Adriana
    May 15, 2012 at 5:41 am | Permalink

I have a kid with Autism, we try your gluten free cookies and he loves them. He is on a low-sugar diet and I’m trying to find a good royal icing recipe where I can substitute the icing sugar for splenda, xilytol, stevia, etc. Do you have a recipe for royal icing where I can substitute the icing sugar (confectioners sugar)?

I read on the internet that I can combine cornstarch with splenda and that will work as icing sugar. I haven’t try it.

Adriana

42. May 15, 2012 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Hi @ Adriana: I’m so glad he likes it!!

I’m sorry, we did use regular icing… He was allowed to have a small bite per day. I’m not much help with this question, sorry. It would be WAY better to have an icing with splenda. I haven’t tried your suggestion yet, but it sounds like a really good alternative. If you try it out please come back and let me know how it goes!

43. December 13, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

@ Audrey L.:
    I know it’s been a long time since you posted this, but I’m trying to come up with a delicious gluten-free cookie for a family friend. My all time favorite recipe, is of course Marian’s sugar cookie. So my question is, could I just use this in place of the flour in her recipe and leave everything else the same? It seems too easy and all of the other gluten-free recipes seem insanely complex. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

44. Robyn
    August 21, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

@Beth

I know it’s been awhile since you have posted but, I thought I would share my 2 cents. I recently made gluten free sugar cookies (and dairy free/gluten free sugar cookies). I used my favourite sugar cookie recipe and just exchanged the all purpose flour with Bob’s Red Mill gluten free all purpose flour, cup for cup. The only thing extra you need to by is xanthium gum and add a 1/4 tsp for every cup of flour used. I was told that they were a hit at the party and no one was the wiser that they were gluten free! (Although I noticed a difference, they were still yummy!)

Hope this helps :)

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Gluten Free Newbie, Sweetopia and LittlePinkBox, brandy latimer. brandy latimer said: RT @sweetopia: New Post: Gluten-Free Decorated Cookies http://bit.ly/dx6qgR [...]

2. By uberVU - social comments on March 26, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by sweetopia: New Post: Gluten-Free Decorated Cookies http://bit.ly/dx6qgR