Rich, chocolaty, easy-to-make and yummy… I’m thrilled to have found this cupcake recipe and to be sharing it with you. Truly decadent, these classic chocolate cupcakes have become my go-to favorite.
Normally I would have baked oodles of experimentation batches to have arrived at the place where I’d be ready to share a recipe with you, but in this case I was approached by Ricardo’s Cuisine to review his Best-Best Chocolate Cake Recipe, and I’m obviously happy to report that it was a win-win. Ricardo Cuisine is a recipe site jam-packed with tried and true savory and sweet recipes – Everything from holiday season classics to allergy-friendly recipes and vegetarian options. It’s a definite site to bookmark and visit for meal and dessert ideas, and don’t forget to check out Ricardo’s magazine for more drool-worthy and beautiful inspiration.
Just a few bowls and mixing involved for the cupcakes, and the results are delicious. Ricardo’s cake calls for a ganache covering, which I piped into the center of the cupcake for a sweet surprise.
Topped with my easy chocolate frosting (recipe here), these cupcakes are sure to be a Christmas and any time crowd pleaser.
Enjoy baking and eating sweet friends!
The Best-Best Double Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk or 250 mL
- 1/2 cup canola oil or 125 mL
- 2 tsp vanilla extract 10 mL
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup strong coffee, warm 180 mL
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line your muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, sugar, buttermilk, oil and vanilla with a whisk. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa powder and coffee with a whisk. Add to egg mixture. Add dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners (About 1/4 cup per liner). Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cupcake comes out clean. Let cool completely before filling the cupcake centers with ganache and topping with icing.
Chocolate Frosting Recipe
Chocolate Icing Recipe can be found by clicking HERE.
Chocolate Ganache Recipe
Chocolate Ganache Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups 35% cream or 430 mL
- 2 tbsp corn syrup or 30 mL
- 16 oz dark chocolate, chopped or 450 g
- In a saucepan, bring cream and corn syrup to a boil.
- In a bowl, pour hot cream mixture over chocolate. Let melt for 2 minutes. Whisk until ganache is smooth. Refrigerate for about 1 hour or until it has thickened and is spreadable, stirring four or five times.
- For the ganache center of the cupcake, using a #10 piping tip or other piping tip of your choice, sink your piping tip into the top of the cooled cupcake to about the center, and squeeze out a dollop of icing. Stop squeezing and remove.