Winter is on the way out, and spring is slowly creeping in… Also creeping in, or building up in me, is the itch to get outside again. To move, to feel the sunshine on my face, to enjoy the birds, to explore the pretty hiking trails in my neighbourhood.
Before the last few winters began, I told myself that I wouldn’t let myself get lethargic again… I’d get out there no matter how cold, windy, overcast etc., it was. Christmas came along, life got extra busy, and slowly my fitness goals slid by the wayside. Now that I’m writing about my journey here, hopefully next winter will be different! (No, it will be). Just need to keep focused and remember my healthy priorities.
Sooo, I have no idea how much I weigh because my way of telling how my body’s doing, is by how my clothes fit. I’m approximately 2 dress sizes up from where I was in September. Not that that’s the be all and end all (although I think I do look better somewhat smaller), I don’t feel as energetic or as… good.
I’m beginning my ‘journey’ back to a healthy lifestyle by concentrating on eating more whole foods. More colourful, more fresh foods; fruit, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins etc. I have never in my life been able to make that ‘taste bud’ transition to, “Mmmm, raw carrots without dip would be a delicious snack!” so I’ll have to be creative. Today, I made a yummy mango salad with a soy sauce based dressing. Sooo good! I just need to commit to planning my meals ahead more.
As for ‘treats’, I’ve had quite the sweet tooth for a long time (chocolate!), but I’ll keep you posted on how that develops. I know, it’s kind of funny… two of my major hobbies, sugar art and fitness (health & well-being), appear to completely oppose one another. My solution: give sweet treats away. Well, give most away. =)
Here’s the recipe for the Thai Mango Salad:
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped peanuts
- 2 firm mangos (about 2lb/ 1kg total)
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 4 cups torn mixed greens
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp grated lime rind
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or soy sauce
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp minced hot peper (or 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce)
- 1/4 each salt and pepper
- In skillet, toast peanuts over medium heat until fragrant and dark golden, about 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Peel, pit and thinly slice mangoes lengthwise. Seed, core and thinly slice red pepper. Set aside.
- Dressing: In large bowl, whisk together oil, lime rind and juice, fish sauce, sugar, hot pepper, salt and pepper. Add mangoes, red pepper, carrots, mixed greens, green onions and mint; toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with peanuts.