Apr 05

Chocolate Cupcakes with Flood Icing Butterflies

Besides flooding cookies with royal icing, I’m starting to play around with flooding on parchment paper and using the results as decorations for cupcakes etc.

Peggy Porschen’s book, Beautiful Cakes, inspired me to try these butterflies for my chocolate cupcake embellishments.  They’re relatively easy to make, and I especially like the classic colors she chose; blue and brown.  I also tried one of my fave color combinations… Can you tell what it is by my blog design? 😉

If you’d like to try these cupcakes, you can find a video on making the icing swirl and the recipes I used here. One thing to note, is that what kind of chocolate chips you use makes a difference in colour. I used milk chocolate chips for these.

Have fun baking & decorating!

1. April 22, 2009 at 7:23 am | Permalink

Beautiful, beautiful work!

2. Kerri
    April 22, 2009 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Love these cupcakes – how did you make the butterflies?

3. April 22, 2009 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

they look very sweet 😛

4. April 23, 2009 at 4:00 am | Permalink

Thanks y’all!
    Kerri, I used royal icing and piped it onto parchment paper. The design sits under the parchment so that all you need to do is trace it.

The idea and butterfly images are from Peggy Porschen’s book… I have a link up above to the book on amazon.
    🙂

5. Elizabeth Hefley
    May 3, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

How did you get the wings to be three dimensional? Did you wait for them to dry for a while and then place them in the eggcarton to continue drying what dryness level do you start having them bend to the shape you want? Thanks

6. May 3, 2010 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Elizabeth; After the wings are dry (see above) fold a piece of cardboard (prop up so that holds the shape you want for the butterfly), put a folded piece of parchment on top of that cardboard, pipe a bead of icing for the butterfly body in the crease, and set the wings in place into the icing. Let the body dry.

May 8, 2010 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

p.s. It’s hard to explain the butterflies; f.y.i. I found the how to in Peggy Porschen’s book easy to follow because there were pictures with the instructions.