Aug 02

Joseph and His Coat of Many Colors – Decorated Cookies

For the last 3 summers, I’ve been teaching kids cookie decorating at kids camp through the church I attend. It’s lots of fun and I’m always impressed at how well the kids do.

These are the Joseph themed cookies, based on Genesis 37-47 of the Bible, from this summer’s classes. The custom cutters can be found here in How Sweet is That? ‘s online shop.

The classes were divided by age group; ages 5-7 and 8-11, so I wanted to show the kids some easy designs they’d have success with and give them a choice between basic and somewhat more detailed, hence the plain camel and somewhat adorned camel, and the striped coat versus the marbled coat.

The cookie cutters shapes are mainly based off of images from shutterstock, which is where the idea for the way the pyramid is decorated is from. You can see the original ideas here; pyramid, camel, coat.

The kids did a super job of decorating their cookies!

The care and concentration they took with their designs was so great to see.

Preparing for teaching the classes takes some organization and planning and I’ve learned a few tips over the years which have helped things run smoothly, so in case you’re interested in teaching cookie decorating, I’ll be putting together a post on the things I’ve determined help most.

See you in a few days with that post and in the meantime, happy decorating!

(Update: here is the post on teaching cookie decorating tips).

1. Marguerite
    August 3, 2016 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Beautifully executed again! And kudos to you for teaching kids too! I can’t wait to bake & decorate with my grandson next year. 🙂

August 4, 2016 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Hi Marguerite,

It’s lots of fun! Would love to see how it goes if you’d like to come back and comment or share a photo on social media. 🙂

2. August 3, 2016 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

These are so adorable! What a cute idea!

3. Georgia
    August 3, 2016 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

What a lovely thing to do. Who knows how many future cookie artists you have helped create! Thank you for sharing that with us.

August 4, 2016 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Thanks Georgia and Holly!

4. Louise Simmons
    August 3, 2016 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Marion, where do you get the cello bags that you use in the Bible School Cookie Decorating post? And, are they gusseted? Many thanks, Louise

August 4, 2016 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Hi Louise,

I have had gusseted ones before, but the ones in the picture are not. I have several different sources for bags including amazon, Michael’s and a store in Toronto called Creative Bag. If I’m remembering correctly, these one are from Creative Bag. http://www.creativebag.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=clear+bag Hope that helps!

5. Connie Beal
    August 3, 2016 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Look forward to your next post on tips for conducting a class. I have several neighbors that want me to teach them how to decorate cookies.

I made gingerbread houses for my granddaughter’s 1st grade class 4 years ago and yes it is a lot of work. The kids had fun and I enjoyed them with their final masterpieces.

August 4, 2016 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Hi Connie,

It’s neat to see how interested (many) people are when you give cookies out, isn’t it. 🙂 Have fun teaching your neighbours!

6. August 4, 2016 at 3:15 am | Permalink

I truly love that you do this every year, Marian.

It has a great effect in their lives and makes them connect their faith with something fun: cookie decorating.
    I am sure they will never forget such moments, with such a wonderful teacher that you are.

Proverbs 22:6
    Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.

Much love to you sweetheart,
    xoxo,
    niner 🙂

August 4, 2016 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Thank you so much Niner! I hope the children love and remember the experience, and that camp helps lead them to know the way, the truth and the life, Jesus.
      Much love to you as well! xo

7. Maria Theresia
    August 10, 2016 at 7:48 am | Permalink

Very nice of you to teach children how to decorate cookies. Beautiful colors on Joseph’s coat. You are a great organizer and teacher! Beautiful work like always.
    Have a wonderful summer.

1. […] was asked to do Joseph themed cookies, so there was less choice as the designs dictated 8 colours (click here for the […]