Jul 30

Summer Ocean Decorated Cookies

Happy summer! Definitely my favorite season of the year and although I don’t live by the sea, I’ve always been enamoured by it – what majesty lies in and around it – and was inspired to create this collection of summer seaside cookies.

If you’d like to make these too, I’ll share my basic cookie decorating techniques below, along with tips about each individual design such as cookie cutter sources and gel colors used.

Summer Seaside Cookies

For the new cookie decorator, my YouTube videos may be helpful to get you started.

Cut-Out Cookie Recipe

I used gingerbread as the base for my cookies. You can find the recipe for the dough here. If you’d like to try a different cookie base, other recipes can be found here. I will share which cookie cutters I used for each cookie, below.

Royal Icing Recipe for Flooding / Decorating

You can find my favorite royal icing recipe here. The consistency of icing is key for easy decorating. Click here to see a YouTube video on finding the right icing thickness.

What You’ll Need for Decorating

For flooding basics, you’ll need:

Decorating Steps

This video on outlining and flooding is a good place to start if you’re new to decorating cookies with royal icing. For a few of the cookies in this post I’ve used a wet on wet icing marbling technique. You can find a video on how to do that here.

Seashell Cookies

For the seashell cookies, using piping tip #2, I started with a layer of white icing, then immediately layered the second color/stripe on top (piping tip #2), and marbled in one direction; towards the bottom. Once the triangular shell shape had set (about 15 minutes), I added the little colored triangles for the base, piped loops with a tip #1, and placed edible pearls on top. For the shells with the thicker band of color, I piped 4 lines beside each other.

You can find the shell cutter here, and the edible pearls here.

The gel colors used are; Americolor gel colors sky blue, lemon yellow, soft pink, and avocado mixed with electric green.

Anchor Cookies

For the anchor cookie I piped small ribbon roses with stiff royal icing and a #101 piping, and let those set overnight. To pipe ribbon roses you’ll need a small flower nail (rose nail), #9 is best, or if you don’t have one, a meat thermometer will do. Dab a litte bit of shortening on the top of the flower nail, place a little square of parchment paper on top of that and hold the flower nail in your least dominant hand. With the narrow end of your tip pointing up, pipe a little dollop of icing onto the center of the flower nail. Now hold the piping tip (still narrow end up) at a 45 degree angle, spin the rose nail in your fingers and pipe/wrap the icing around that little dollop of icing until you’ve made the size of rose you’d like. A bit confusing to explain, but straight forward enough to do once you try it out. It’s key to have quite stiff royal icing. Once the roses are dry, dust with some ultra pink pearl dust.

Flood the base of your anchor with white icing and let set for at least half an hour, then pipe the anchor shape and let that set for another half hour before you pipe the rope (little lines using a #2 piping tip). Adhere the ribbon roses with a tiny bit of icing, and pipe the leaves with a number 65 leaf tip.

The anchor cookie cutter can be found here.

The gel colors used are; Americolor gel colors sky blue, lemon yellow, soft pink, and avocado mixed with electric green.

Bathing Suit Cookies

For all the bathing suits except for the yellow one, I used a wet on wet technique. The green is simply white dots on wet green icing, the rose bathing suit is swirls of raspberry and light pink icing with dots of green pulled with a toothpick, and the flowered bathing suit at the top right just has dots of colored icing on the white base. The yellow bathing suit has ruffles piped with stiff yellow icing and a #102 piping tip. Each bathing suit bow was piped with a #1 piping tip.

The bathing suit cookie cutter is from Cheap Cookie Cutters and can be found here.

Jellyfish Cookies

Thank you for feedback on Facebook and Instagram regarding how many stringy tentacles to use! I ended up going about the same, but you can of course add more or less according to your preference.

Pardon the lighting, but I’ve included somewhat of a pictorial to show you the decorating steps for the jellyfish.

1. Using a #1.5 piping tip, pipe the head of the jellyfish with white icing, immediately add the second color and marble towards the top center of the jellyfish. Let set for a few minutes.

2. Pipe the “inside” of the jellyfish head with white icing.

3. Using piping tip #81, pipe the 3 base tentacles. I squiggled the tip from left to right as I piped down.

4. Pipe wavy lines using tip #1, for the stringy tentacles.

5. Pipe small white random dots, using tip #1 on the head of the jellyfish.  Once the jellyfish cookies are dry you might like to add a little sheen with pearl dust.

Thank you to Bridget of Bake at 350 for the idea of the two types of tentacles. You can find her version in her book, Decorating Cookies Party.

The jellyfish cookie cutter can be found here.

The gel colors used are; Americolor gel colors sky blue and soft pink.

Sailboat Cookies

These are so straightforward they don’t need much explaining, but please don’t hesitate to ask if you have more questions. I used a #1 to pipe the mast on most of them, and a #1.5 for the rest of the details.

The sailboat cookie cutter can be found here.

The gel colors used are; Americolor gel colors sky blue, lemon yellow, soft pink, avocado mixed with electric green and for the raspberry color, soft pink mixed with red.

Starfish Cookies

These are straightforward and simple. Once the star base of icing has dried, pipe dots using tip #1. When the cookie is dry dust with pearl dust.

Crab Decorated Cookies

These guys ended up being my favorite to decorate in this set.  To make, pipe the largest section, the body, first. While it’s setting, pipe the claws furthest from the body and let them set. Note that the largest two claws at the front have tiny white dots on the inside, which I piped while the claw was still wet. (Just dab a #1 tip with white icing on the spots you’d like a little white to be). Once the claws have set you can pipe the arm sections. Letting each section dry for a few minutes and then piping the next, will mean each section will keep its definition and not run into the next. Pipe two larger dots for they eyes and a few white specks right on top. You could also dust with some pearl dust for a little sheen if you like.

Let the cookies dry and you’re done! If you need a how-to on drying cookies, here’s a video for you.

A few notes for you:

• If you’re making these at a time when the humidity in your area is high, having a de-humidifier on in the room you’re working in will help the cookie dry well and prevent icing from bleeding.
  • You can find more information on drying cookies here, a post on preventing cookies from bleeding here, and spotting here.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to drop me a line below in the comment section or on social media. You can find me on FacebookGoogle+InstagramPinterestTwitter and YouTube.

Happy decorating!

1. anna richards
    July 30, 2015 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

You are amazing! These are the definition of a cookie orgasm. Incredible!!!!

• Tmoney
      July 31, 2015 at 11:07 am | Permalink

^^Anna, I second that! Ah-mazing!

2. Bonnie C.
    July 30, 2015 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Wow! These cookies are fabulous. My friend (who LOVES the beach) will be buying a new house soon. It would be fun to make these for her housewarming party. Amazing!!

3. Marguerite
    July 30, 2015 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Love your colour scheme! I am always blown away by your decoration skills!! Thanks for the inspiration!

4. July 30, 2015 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these beach cookies. Such pretty colors and designs… Thank you for the tutorial on them.. Love your work. Kris

5. July 31, 2015 at 12:06 am | Permalink

Gorgeous as always! Your site inspired me to try cookie decorating, and I wouldn’t be where I am without your tutorials. This set is especially sweet — the colors and details are so perfect. Thank you from a novice. 🙂

6. July 31, 2015 at 12:24 am | Permalink

These cookies are super cute! I love the crab cookies ^_^

7. Lisa
    July 31, 2015 at 12:31 am | Permalink

Marian,
    LOVE, LOVE your website-the beautiful photos, step by step directions, videos, and product info. It couldn’t be better. I really appreciate and need your help.
    Do you remember where the crab cookie cutter is from? He is SO adorable.
    Thanks so much!
    A big admirer

August 3, 2015 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Lisa,
      Thank you! The crab cookie cutter is from Williams-Sonoma… It comes from a set called Seashore Cookie Cutter Set. I couldn’t find it for sale anywhere… this is the only photo online I could find:

The good news is that there are lots of other, similar crab cookie cutters out there.
      Happy decorating! xo

8. July 31, 2015 at 3:16 am | Permalink

Seriously Marian? hahah..those are so so so adorable!!
    Bathing Suit, Jellyfish, Seashell…WHAT TO CHOOSE?!
    The crab is soooo cute, too!

Honestly, the gift God gave you is just so incredible.
    Praise Him for that.

I hope many people will make these!

Happy Friday, sweetie <3

9. July 31, 2015 at 9:02 am | Permalink

I love his theme and the swimsuit cookies are my favorite! I’m starting a swimsuit quilt for my daughter.

10. Ally
    July 31, 2015 at 10:02 am | Permalink

I love them! Where did you get the crab cookie cutter from?

August 3, 2015 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Ally,
      Thank you! The crab cookie cutter is from Williams-Sonoma… It comes from a set called Seashore Cookie Cutter Set. I bought it about 5 years ago so I couldn’t find it for sale anywhere when I google today… this is the only photo online I could find:

Happy decorating! xo

11. Roshini
    July 31, 2015 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Beautiful cookies. and I love the colors that you have used. Bravo

12. jenn
    July 31, 2015 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Hi marian,
    Just wanted to know where did you buy the crab and the jellyfish cookie cutter? Those cookies are so cute.

Thanks,
    Jenn

August 3, 2015 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Hi Jenn,

There is a link to the jellyfish cookie cutter in the post under the jellyfish tutorial section.
      Happy decorating! xo

13. Dawn
    August 1, 2015 at 12:33 am | Permalink

You are my inspiration! Simply lovely!

14. August 1, 2015 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

I am OBSESSED with those jellyfish. OBSESSED!!! This whole set is just beautiful, Marian!

August 3, 2015 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for your lovely compliments everyone!

16. August 3, 2015 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Beautiful designs and decorated cookies….love them all!
    Hope you had a great weekend after so much work and efforts you always do. Thank you for sharing your ideas and talents with us.

17. Marian N
    August 3, 2015 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Well you’ve done it again. A truly wonderful assortment of cookie. And those crab! Honestly Marian I live in Maryland, crab country for sure, and I assure you that I have never seen beautiful crabs before. I mean never. Cheers, Marian N.

August 12, 2016 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for the comments everyone!

18. Janis
    August 5, 2015 at 1:40 am | Permalink

These are just amazing. You are a true artist. Just when I think you can’t possibly do anything to top your previous stuff, you come up with something even better. AMAZING!

19. Andrea
    August 10, 2015 at 12:38 am | Permalink

I just finished making my under the sea cookies when you posted yours. I loved the jellyfish the most. The little dots with a #1 tip were later added after I saw your pics. That made all the difference. Now I need to get a sailboat cutter.
    Thanks for the inspiration you give to us decorators.

20. Royale
    June 10, 2016 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Hello,

Am curious if you are willing to recreate 2 dozen of the Jellyfish cookies for purchase?

Thanks!
    Royale

August 12, 2016 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Hi Royale,

I’m sorry, I don’t sell them, I just share how to make them. If you find a local decorator, I don’t mind if the designs are used. If the baker uses the designs and posts them online, I would appreciate a link to my blog. Thanks!