Mar 28

Mini Easter Cookie Pops

Happy spring! Although my yard still looks white, these bright colored cookies certainly helped usher in a spring kind of feeling, and of course the cookie shapes were selected for upcoming Easter.

It may be kind of hard to tell how small they are, so I placed a quarter on the tray above for scale. Teensy tiny cookie pops.

I loved how easy they were to make for my Easter sweet table – perfect as a special treat on these lemon cupcakes.

The cookies themselves are gingerbread but you could use any kind of cut-out cookie recipe, and the cookie sticks are simply toothpicks inserted into the dough and then baked. A question I’m anticipating… Do the toothpicks burn in the oven? They don’t – These little guys only took 8 minutes to bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and the toothpicks didn’t need to be dampened first.

To use these mini cookies as cupcake toppers, you don’t necessarily need to make them into cookie pops, you could easily just set them into the cupcake icing on their own. Super sweet either way.

How-To Notes:

Technique-wise, these are some of the easiest cookies to decorate (Find some basic decorating videos here), save for the marbling on the Easter eggs (which is still a simple technique, there are just a few tips which help make marbling sucessful. Find a video tutorial here).

The royal icing recipe I used can be found here.

The mini cookie cutters can be found here.

If you’re new to cookie decorating you may want to check out this post on icing consistency, my top 10 decorating tips, other decorated cookie posts.

A few more notes:

Insert the toothpick about half way into the cookie, before baking, so that the cookie doesn’t easily fall off.

Although I like that the cookie pop doesn’t touch the buttercream icing, I think I’d put the toothpick in deeper next time. It looks a bit high up to me now. What do you think?

The bunny tails and ears have fine white sanding sugar sprinkled on them (while the icing was wet). You can find the sanding sugar here.

To create a bit of texture, the orange and green royal icing on the carrot is a thicker consistency than all the other colors.

The recipe for the Lemon Cupcakes can be found here.

Although I love the Easter bunny and fun traditions surrounding coloring eggs etc., I’d like to remember the reason we celebrate Easter; Jesus’ death and resurrection and what he went through for you and me so that we could have eternal life.  I’ve never really talked about this on my blog before, but it’s become a big part of who I am. Wishing you and yours a wonderful Easter.

Much love,

1. Marian N
    March 29, 2015 at 7:51 am | Permalink

I look forward to your posts with great anticipation and you never fail to impress with your originality, skill and beauty. These cookies are just adorable and for me represent the two things I love to bake most, cookies and cupcakes. Thanks, and
    Happy Easter to you as well. Marian N

April 13, 2015 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Hi the other Marian (N),
      Thank you so much and Happy Easter to you toooo! xo

2. Maria Theresia
    March 29, 2015 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Hi Marian, Beautiful Easter cookies and cupcakes. Very amazing inspiration for us. Love it very much. Have a peaceful Easter Week!

3. Deb Horoshok
    March 29, 2015 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Beautiful as always. Love your work. Happy easter! Looking forward to more of your posts. Deb

April 13, 2015 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Hi Deb,
      I love that you notice. Hee hee. Thanks!

4. Kim P
    March 29, 2015 at 11:40 am | Permalink

I’m smitten with mini cookies! It started with your snowmen at Christmas! My mom had the great idea to turn your snowman into a ladybug – scaled down a bit, they will fit right in with your Easter cookies. Thank you for sharing your beautiful cookies.

April 13, 2015 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Kim P,
      That’s great! I love that your mom had the idea to turn the snowman into a ladybug. Would looove to see pics if you have them on line somewhere. Happy decorating!

5. Kimmie
    March 29, 2015 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

I love, love, love them and am baking right now! “Jesus said to her, I am the Resurrection and the Life. The one who believes in Me will live, even though they die and whoever lives by believing in Me, will never die” – John 11:25-26

April 13, 2015 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Oh I would love to see them Kimmie! Do you have a photo of them on line somewhere? Thank you for your beautiful Easter message. xo

6. Dawn
    March 29, 2015 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Jesus is the reason we celebrate, and I am so grateful! So happy to hear you say that! I adore your blog and all your wonderful creations!

April 13, 2015 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Thank you Dawn, I’m glad you are happy too!

7. Madame Baker
    March 30, 2015 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

These are adorable! I look forward to baking them. I’m also glad to hear about the Lemon Cupcakes recipe. I’ve been wanting to bake lemon cupcakes for a long time. Thank you!

April 13, 2015 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Hi Madame Baker (cute name btw),
      Hope you enjoy the recipe and thanks for commenting here!

8. Marilyn
    March 30, 2015 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Marian, your little cookies are precious. I love the idea of using them to decorate the tops of cupcakes! I plan on starting my Easter cookies tomorrow so now I have some ideas and inspiration. I just got a new oven with convection bake! So far it’s incredible. Thank you for sharing your Easter message. This Easter, may we remember God’s gift to us and the promise of eternal life. Wishing you and your loved ones a Blessed Easter. Rejoice! He is Risen!

April 13, 2015 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Hi Marilyn,
      Thank you for your beautiful Easter messages! How did your cookies go? Do you have a photo of them on line somewhere I could see?

9. April 1, 2015 at 3:32 am | Permalink

Ohhh Marian, these lil colorful cookies look gorgeous!
    Absolutely love them. I wouldn’t eat them, nooooo haha..

Amazing work!
    You’re my cookie queen! 🙂

xoxo,
    niner

April 13, 2015 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Hi Niner,
      Thank you, you’re my cake pop queen! xo

10. April 2, 2015 at 7:53 am | Permalink

Absolutely adorable cookies! Gorgeous detail, perfect for those yummy Easter treats!

11. April 3, 2015 at 7:41 am | Permalink

So sweet, Marian! What a great post filled with excellent tips. Beautiful photography, too. 🙂 Thanks for sharing. Happy Easter!

April 13, 2015 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much Stacy and Sommer! xo

1. […] to include some regular sized bunny cookie pops (you can find the mini cookie pops in this post here), hence the extra large brown cupcake liners, which you can find […]