Nov 24

Baking Conversions

Happy Tuesday! I’ve been seeing a lot of baking-related-measurement questions lately, so thought I’d put this together for you to have, all in once place…

Not all of my recipes have measurements in weights and for those which do, not all include both metric and imperial. I’ve created a place here for you to find conversions for common baking ingredients, as well as other handy conversions, such as liquid measure equivalents, temperature conversions and a handy length measurement chart. Each one has a printable version so you can hang it on your fridge or tuck it into your favorite recipe book. Happy baking!

Weight Conversions for Flour, Sugar and Other Common Ingredients in Baking

Proper ingredient measurement is especially key in baking, and weighing really is the most accurate way to measure.  Since not all of my recipes provide both weight measurements (ounces or grams) and volume measurements (cups), below is a handy illustrated list of the most common baking ingredients.

A little note for you – These are commonly accepted weight conversions and are useful for recipes where no other weights are provided, but if a recipe you’re using provides its own conversions, stick to what’s given, as the way each recipe writer measures flour, for example, may differ.  Their recipe is probably tailored to their preferences.

{Click here for a printable version} (blue background)

{Click here for a printable version} (beige background)

Kitchen Conversion Illustration – Liquid Measure Equivalents:

For a free, printable version, click HERE.

Temperature Conversion Printable:

If you need to convert imperial to metric or vice versa for your oven etc. during your baking:

{Click here to print}

Length Conversion Printable:

Handy chart to convert imperial to metric or vice versa if you need the measurements handy during your baking or decorating:

Click HERE to print.

Illustrated Recipes

And not to leave my other illustrated items out, please enjoy the following royal icing and gingerbread cookie recipes, my go-to cookie decorating recipes!

Royal Icing

Gingerbread Cookies

Direct Links to recipe:
ANIMATED VERSION
PRINTABLE VERSION

Happy baking!

1. linda
    November 25, 2014 at 7:59 am | Permalink

thank you…this is just wonderful & ends a lot of confusion.
    🙂

November 28, 2014 at 7:52 am | Permalink

My pleasure, glad it helps!

2. November 25, 2014 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Thanks Marion, I enjoy getting your updates. They are informative and respectfully scheduled. (I don’t know how to say that there aren’t too many in my inbox, just a couple a month, just right!)I have been busy decorating the B&B for Christmas. I know it is early but we are having a fundraiser for our Women’s shelter here in Yarmouth, N.S. and really, you need the decorations to get everyone feeling in the mood. I wish we could have tea. I have learned so much since you came into my inbox!

November 28, 2014 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Hello Esther,
      I wish we could have tea too! Maybe one day I’ll make it out east and we could meet up. 🙂
      That’s wonderful that you’re busy getting all the decorations ready for the B&B – I would love to see them, I’ll bet it’s beautiful!
      Thank you for your continued visits and comments you leave me here – I love them!

3. Maria Theresia
    November 25, 2014 at 10:05 am | Permalink

thank you Marian for this excellent information. This way I have no problem using any recipe. Have a great week.

November 28, 2014 at 7:54 am | Permalink

Thanks Maria Theresia, have a great week too!

4. November 26, 2014 at 4:09 am | Permalink

Marian,

this is the BEST list I have seen on the net.. SO detailed and SO beautiful too! 🙂

I will pin those for sure!

This will help people from other countries.
    Although I wish we all had the same system hihi..

Much love, my girl! 🙂

November 27, 2014 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Awww, thanks so much for your sweet comments! xoxo

5. Marian N
    November 28, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

What a great resource. I am printing sets for my daughter-in-law and myself. Thanks so much, Marian.

November 28, 2014 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian N! Glad you find it a useful resource. Nice to “see” you around btw. 🙂

6. Marian N
    November 28, 2014 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad to be back. Lost my darling husband last year but I’m getting back in the groove and looking forward to doing holiday baking again.

November 29, 2014 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

BIG hug to you! My condolences. xoxo

If you do post any photos of your baking on line, I would love to see, fellow Marian. 😉

7. Tatiana Perecin
    March 30, 2017 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much! I am from Brazil, we use metric system and it helps a lot!

1. […] If you prefer metric measurements, you can find my baking conversions here. […]