Nov 22

Advent Calendar Cookies

Enamoured by small things ever since I was a little girl (Do you remember Charmkins and the books series The Littles?), I was excited to make these super sweet mini cookies to fit into my wooden Advent calendar this year.

Even with Advent a week a way, these cookies are definitely doable – they’re easy to decorate and dry so quickly.

Because these cookies are so small (see quarter for reference below), I kept the decorating details simple. If you’d like to make them too, my recipes and how-to links follow.

Mini Advent Calendar Cookie How-To

The penguins and snowmen cookies are from my last Peanut Butter Cut-Out Cookie Recipe post, so I matched these Christmas minis and used the same recipe.

Recipes

My favorite cut-out cookie recipes can be found here. Regardless of the one you chose, be sure to follow the tips on preventing cookies from spreading. A dedicated post on that can be found here.

The icing recipe I used can be found here. Consistency of the icing for this kind of decorating is key. To help you find the decorating consistency you need, here is a video.

Decorating Links

If you’re new to cookie decorating, this tutorial will give you all the basics, and if you prefer video check out my YouTube page for tips on tools, basics on flooding cookies etc.

I used #1.5 piping tip for all the piping on these cookies.

Because humidity can cause icing to bleed, check out this post on drying decorated cookies. Even if you live in a colder climate, like I do, humidity can still be high. I like to check the weather network to see the percentages on the days I’m decorating. Following the tips in the latter suggested post will help you regardless though.

Notes

• I found the wooden Advent calendar at Sears in 2013. I’m not sure if they would still sell it, but I saw another adorable one at Target the other day and Amazon sells some charming versions too.

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to drop me a line below in the comment section or on social media. You can find me on FacebookGoogle+InstagramPinterestTwitter and YouTube.

Have fun decorating your cookies!

1. November 23, 2014 at 1:27 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for this beautiful idea. My two children are special needs and I didn’t want an advent with things to do (because they usually can’t!) and this is the perfect alternative.

Besides, who doesn’t love adorable little bikkies?!

November 24, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

HI Andrea,
      Are you from Australia? I love how you called them bikkies, so cute.
      And I’m glad you’ve got an activity you can enjoy with your kids. I have to say, I’m a teacher and many of my special needs kids seem to really love cookie decorating. Have fun!

2. November 23, 2014 at 2:36 am | Permalink

These little cookies are so cutie!!! They are perfect for your wooden advent calendar. You’ll have sweet days before Christmas 🙂
    xoxo

November 24, 2014 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

HI IFeelCook! Thanks for dropping by! xxoo

3. November 23, 2014 at 6:27 am | Permalink

What a fab idea! Beautiful work again.

November 24, 2014 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much Cake Angel!

4. November 23, 2014 at 7:25 am | Permalink

I love absolutely everything about this!

November 24, 2014 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

HI Paula, thanks, and thanks for the tweet as well. 🙂

5. November 23, 2014 at 7:48 am | Permalink

This is just precious! I love the whole idea, and the tea towel is adorable!

November 24, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Hi Colleen, thanks so much! xo

6. Maria Helena
    November 23, 2014 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Wonderful job, I love the Christmas house…:)

November 24, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks and I love it too! 🙂

7. Maria Theresia
    November 23, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous work, amazing talent, what a beautiful idea! I love the advent calender house. All the cookies in this collection are breathtaking. The mittens are very special. Thank you for all your hard work. Enjoy opening the advent “laedeli” daily.

November 24, 2014 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks Maria Theresia, I will definitely enjoy opening them! 😉

8. Romina
    November 23, 2014 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

always so beautifully done! Please let me know where this tea towel is from, I love it!

November 24, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Hi Romina,
      I bought it a local store; Winners. I searched for it on line and couldn’t find the company, I’m sorry.

9. Shannon
    November 24, 2014 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Absolutely beautiful works of delicious art Marian!! Especially love those adorable penguins, and the wooden calendar is marvellous!! You are so incredibly talented!!
    It is 6 a.m. and I am inspired to get baking!!!

November 24, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Hee hee, perfect time to start baking actually. 🙂 Thanks, Shannon!

10. November 24, 2014 at 6:40 am | Permalink

Happy Monday Marian and thank you for such a beautiful post, I needed it today!!

I wish I had this calender at home, with YOUR cookies, how exciting that would be.

Love all the cookies, all all ALL of them 🙂 <3

xoxo,
    niner

November 24, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Awww, shucks, thanks Niner! Wish you were nearby – you could have the house and the cookies! xo

11. Sally
    November 24, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Thank you sooo much for posting this Marian!

My daughter moved over 2000km away this Summer to finish college and I wanted to send something that spoke of home and wanted to keep her in our family traditions, this is just the ticket.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas!

12. November 24, 2014 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Perfect timing. I’m make Advent minis with my 6 grandboys this weekend. I printed off your pics so they will have something to go by. Packed up lots of sprinkles and sugars. I think they will have fun. Will have to run by Target to see if they have any of those Advent calendars left!! Thanks for the heads up!! Love your blog!! -Katy

13. Roshini
    November 25, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Love all these minis.

14. Amy
    November 26, 2014 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Marian you are a freaking genius! I have a beautiful wooden advent calendar too but I hate filling it with crappy dollar store treats or candy cause they are the only thing that will fit! What a perfect idea!!! I’m so doing this next year!! (Cause lets face it…December is just days away! Colour me inspired! Thanks!

November 27, 2014 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Ha ha! I think it’s because I’m always thinking about cookies… nothing genius about that. 🙂 I’m glad you like the idea and will do it next year. Happy Holidays to you… hope school is going well! xo

15. Marilyn
    November 26, 2014 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Marian I just keep looking at these adorable cookies over and over. How do you do it? I love advent calendars and leave it to you to do something so charming and artistic. I’m going to try that peanut butter recipe. Used your other recipes for sugar, gingerbread etc. and they are excellent! All my cookie creations are Sweetopia inspired. Happy Holidays to you and your family!

November 27, 2014 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Hi Marilyn!
      I’m so flattered – thank you for your comments! Thank you for always coming to visit me here – I remember meeting you and your husband at the Baking Show, already a few years ago now – would love to see you some time again! Happy Holidays to you and your family as well!

16. December 9, 2014 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

I love, love, love this idea. I wonder if Lenny would be thrilled for an advent calendar filled with cookies, since we don’t have littles? 😉

January 6, 2015 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Hi Denise!
      Guess it doesn’t make much sense to comment weeks later, after Christmas lol. Sorry, I got swamped with holiday stuff and missed coming back to comment. Either way, I’m sure Lenny would appreciate mini cookies hiding in tiny boxes of an advent calendar… he seems like he would enjoy little surprises. 🙂

17. November 17, 2015 at 6:11 am | Permalink

Marion, I like your Advent Calendar house but I am especially interested in those miniature cookies. I went to the Amazon website by clicking on the link from your site. I was directed to the Wilton 12 pc mini cutter set. It doesn’t have the glove or snowman shown in your picture. Where did you get the cutters for the cookies shown? Thank you.

18. November 24, 2015 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian!

Where did you get the snowman/penguin cutter? I don’t think it’s included in the Wilton set.

Thanks,
    Roxanne

19. Sylvia Martinez
    December 1, 2015 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian, as always your tutorials are so beautiful and detailed. Thank you so much for taking the time and share your tips.

20. Erica
    November 28, 2016 at 3:40 am | Permalink

Love this idea of miniature cookies, they are so cute! I searched high and low for this cute advent calendar and sadly it’s no longer for sale 🙁 I would love to buy it off of you if you’re willing. My kids would love it!

November 28, 2016 at 5:32 am | Permalink

Hi Erica,

I’m sorry, you’re the second person to ask. The first is a mother of 3 children, and her father (or father-in law, can’t remember), had bought two for her first two kids. When the 3rd was born she searched and searched for this advent calendar, and when she couldn’t find it, she asked me, and I sold it to her. Sadly, Sears only sold them the one Christmas. I hope you find something equally as cute! xo

21. Jenny Lee
    December 14, 2016 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Where do you purchase your mini cookie cutters? I want to buy a Christmas set, but can’t find one that actually has all the items I want.

December 15, 2016 at 6:57 am | Permalink

Hi Jenny Lee,

I collect cookie cutters so have bought them all over the place, for about 10 years. My favorite spot is on line for mini ones though, as they can be harder to find. Here’s a link with quite the selection; http://amzn.to/2hRiTCq Happy baking!