Feb 24

Decorated Car Cookies {Transportation Cookies}

I know you’re not supposed to play with your food… but a couple of glances at these finished, wheeled cookies had me wanting to place these on a toy car mat my brothers used to often play with, and had me picking up the phone to ask Mom if she still had it.

Well…

She did. :)

Posted this on Vine the other day; probably not the best stop motion, but had fun playing around.

These sugar cookies decorated with royal icing won’t be eaten now, but if you decide to make them for an event, there are SO many great transportation cookies made by CopperGifts; there’s one to suit any vehicle theme!

Couldn’t really find a suitable place for the train on the toy car mat… :) but, hey, anything goes in a toy/cookie world.

Besides the ones I made, I can’t wait to try even more car cookies out…

Thank you Copper Gifts for sharing these cutters with me! (Just an FYI for you – they each came carefully packaged in bubble wrap – below is just the picture of all the cutters just having been excitedly unwrapped by me).

Beth and Ray Braman, the founders and operators of CopperGifts.com, have some of the most unique, sturdy and beautiful cookie cutters available. Every cookie cutter is hand-made and hand-soldered.

I’d like for you to know that although the cutters I requested for this post were given to me by CopperGifts, I am a regular customer of theirs, and sincerely love their cookie cutters.

Hope you have fun decorating (and playing?)!

1. February 24, 2013 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

These look so fun!!

2. suzanne riley
    February 24, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Hello, I love your site, I discovered you about a week ago and applied some of tips to my latest batch of cookies this weekend. I used your 10 second icing rule and also shook my cookies, which id never done before. Im called the “cookie lady” in my neck of the woods and visiting your site has so inspired me to push my boundries. Really appreciate all your hardwork and dedication to cookie crafting! You rock!

February 24, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

They were, @ Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar. :)

Hi @ suzanne riley: That’s great to hear! Would love to see some of your cookie creations if you’d like to share on my facebook page. Happy decorating. xo

4. February 24, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Seriously one of the most creative videos I’ve seen on Vine so far. Love it, Marian. So super cute!!

5. Joanie K
    February 25, 2013 at 1:24 am | Permalink

You are so clever! I love the cookies and the video. I know 2 little grandsons that would love those cookies too! Thanks for sharing!!

6. Esther
    February 25, 2013 at 3:14 am | Permalink

These are so wonderful – I absolutely love them.

7. Karenb
    February 25, 2013 at 5:12 am | Permalink

These are so cute but where are the drivers?
    Of all the cookie cutters in your collection, which is the one you most often use?

8. Roshini
    February 25, 2013 at 6:56 am | Permalink

Cuties. I’m sure it’ll be a big hit at kids party. Play and Eat ;)

9. February 25, 2013 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Ohhh Marian,
    those are adorbs!

I remember playing with cars too, anything, from girlie things to boy things – such great memories and your photos just brought me back =)
    Those cookies are hilariously CUTE !!!

Thanks for sharing, sweetie =)
    xoxo, niner

10. February 25, 2013 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Hello Marian CookieQueenExtraordinaire,
    these little transport cookies are wonderful! Boys deserve some of their favorite things in cookie form! :) Not to say that girls won’t adore these too. I think they will! I DO!
    Hugs,Patti

11. Maria Theresia
    February 25, 2013 at 9:39 am | Permalink

wonderful work… lots of fun,your colour combination is exellent. I love your blog.

12. February 25, 2013 at 9:51 am | Permalink

what kid wouldn’t love that , how cute!

13. February 25, 2013 at 10:49 am | Permalink

These are way too cute and so darling!! I love the creativity and the video on Vine was just too great. My fiance thought it was funny :)

14. February 25, 2013 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Marian, these are so sweet! I have to show the video to my boys. =)

I have yet to own a copper cookie cutter, but at least now I know where to start.

15. February 25, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Wish you were my mommy… ;)

This are so dang cute!

16. Kim
    February 25, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I have a sweet nephew that LOVES cars – a fun package of cookies to send him! Thanks for the great ideas!

17. February 25, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Adorably cute and so creative! Great video!

18. February 25, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Love these so much Marian! That Vine video is perfect :)

19. February 25, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Loved the vine video! Caleb would love to play and eat these cars:)

20. February 25, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Marian–
    How creative to use the car mat in your photos! These cookies are adorable and perfect for a little boy’s birthday party. What boy doesn’t love cars?

21. February 25, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

My nephew would love these!! So does his Aunt.

22. Tesei
    February 25, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Marian, my 5 year old is going to love these and I’m going to love making them with him! Thank you for so much inspiration!

23. February 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

These car cookies are adorable! And I need to get my hands on those precious cookie cutters :)

24. February 25, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Ohhh…. these cookies are PERFECT!!!!! I LOVE all the little details!!

25. Marian N
    February 25, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

What a great post. I already ordered 3 of the cutters. The grandsons will love these.
    I always thank you when I comment because I can’t thank you enough. Cheers!

26. February 25, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Hee hee, @ Karenb: So true, no drivers. More of the cookie cutter toy world fantasy. ;-) Do you mean favorite cutter from this transportation theme? Or cutters in general? For both, I really can’t pick a favorite – depends what I’m making, I guess! xo

Wish you were mine, @ Sommer@ASpicyPerspective: You make the most delicious food!

@ Marian N: Wasn’t it hard to pick?! Have fun making these for your grandsons and thanks for stopping by! xo

And thanks for all the comments guys!

27. February 26, 2013 at 5:59 am | Permalink

I’m so glad I found you Marion. I don’t know where you find the time to share so much with us but please don’t ever stop. You inspire me! I find it a big deal to set up for cookie making. Maybe I need one of those big tray racks and the trays so that everything doesn’t have to cool or set up or harden on my kitchen table. I also have a storage dilemma with my cutters, oh dear, maybe I need a new kitchen! :)

28. February 26, 2013 at 8:57 am | Permalink

These are so cute! I used to have a car mat just like this one! Someday my little guy, Liam, will play on one of his own too! But, he won’t be as lucky and be able to eat his cars. ;-) So precious!

29. February 26, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

These decorated car cookies are just too adorable, and the video is one of the best uses of Vine I’ve seen! Love the interactivity component. Awesome work!

30. February 26, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

So cute Marian! I love the dump trucks!

February 27, 2013 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Hi @ Esther Dares: I know what you mean! I did get a baker’s rack so that it’s easier for me to set my cookies aside to let them dry. Annnd, now have gone a step further and we’re building a garage with a room above it for storage and crafting. ;-) Hee hee. I think you’d understand.

Thanks for the comments guys!

32. February 27, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Oh these are just the cutest ever!! I was never a doll girl, always played with cars and al the other toys geared toward boys, so the presentation really speaks to me. Ok, so how were you able to embed your Vine clip? I am pretty tech savvy, but it wouldn’t let me when I tried… but this was when it first came out. Love them all, especially the fire truck!

February 27, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

@ Jacquee @ I Sugar Coat It!: When Vine first came out, I couldn’t either. Now a quick google search with the key words “how to embed a vine video” and you’ll get lots of options. I chose one which showed the tweet above it as well. (For that option you’d have to tweet the vine first, of course). Have fun playing around!

34. Jacquee
    February 28, 2013 at 7:34 am | Permalink

@ marian: Thanks! I wasn’t sure how often you checked comments, so that is exactly what I did after I left my comment – lots of info now. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

35. Cate
    March 1, 2013 at 1:17 am | Permalink

Hi Marian, I’m thirteen and always decorated cupcakes and want to start cookie decorating and so I was wondering if you can use the food coloring liquid instead of food coloring pastes in royal icing? Thanks

36. March 2, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

My boys had those play rugs. So cute and the cookies. Awesome sauce as usual.

March 3, 2013 at 9:33 am | Permalink

No problem, @ Jacquee, appreciate your visits here!

Hi @ Cate: You’d need a lot more food coloring to get a deep color, and because it’s liquid food coloring it changes the icing consistency/makes it more watery/runny. Now, a flood icing needs to be somewhat runny anyways (see my video on the 10 second rule to find the right icing consistency), so you *could* try making the icing recipe I recommend and thinning it with food coloring, and if you need it to be even more liquidy, water. On the whole, I like just thinning mine with water, and get quick, intense bursts of color with the food gel. I often get mine from Michael’s btw. Hope that helps.

@ Paula – bell’alimento: Thanks! xo

38. Cate
    March 4, 2013 at 4:21 am | Permalink

Thanks @Marian

39. March 4, 2013 at 8:10 am | Permalink

These are great! My 4 year old son came in as I was looking at this post and he is in love with the video, I think we’ve been here watching it for 15 minutes now :) Guess I know what cookies he wants me to make next! Great work, as usual!

March 4, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

:) @ DelectaBell Desserts: That’s great! Have fun baking and playing! xo

41. junie
    March 5, 2013 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Dear Marian,

I have a question i hope you could answer, thanks!

Why do some cookies raise in the middle during baked? that means there are air inside the dough right? is there an explanation? and any way to prevent it?

March 5, 2013 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Hi @ junie: Yes, that’s right. Here’s a post to help you:

43. March 6, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

My nephew would just die for these!! So much fun Marian!

March 6, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks for dropping by @ Megan {Country Cleaver}!

45. Cora
    March 7, 2013 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Marian just a question, how much meringue powder can i put in the mix for royal icing so it dries hard enough for it not to get ruined in cellophane bags but not be rock hard?? also, are there any other tricks? cello bags melt my icing for some reason.. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated, thanks :)

46. March 16, 2013 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Cora: Is the climate humid/hot where you live?

47. September 18, 2014 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

You will understand http://www.centre-le-mistral.fr him better when you know how he feels and what he is thinking of.

1. By 9 Decorated Cars Sites | Motoring Blog on September 14, 2013 at 8:05 am

[...] Car Decorated Cookies | SweetopiaFeb 23, 2013 – [...]

2. [...] I “wheelie” like you {check out this post for a great tire track stencil idea} [...]