Jun 27

How to Make a 4th of July Cookie Wreath

Looking for a fun way of dressing up your table for the 4th of July?

This star cookie wreath is easy to make, and doubles as edible party favors too!

Once your celebrations are over (or while they're happening!), guests can grab a cookie as a sweet treat!

I just stacked my star cookies, and didn't adhere them to each other with royal icing; that way they'd be easy to take off. You could put them together with royal icing, and hang the wreath if you like. Might be a little delicate though!

Need more 4th of July party theme ideas? There are plenty more pretty ideas by these talented lovelies, for you to take a look at here:

I was happy to take part in a 'Star-cookie-cutter' challenge put on by the creative Callye, where the idea was to make something with any size star cookie cutters; cookie related or otherwise! My cookie wreath contribution is pretty simple, but hope you like it! If you'd like to try it out, here's a step-by-step for you:

How to Make a Star Cookie Wreath

Click on the item below to find it online:

*For the size and shape of the star cookie cutters, the choice is entirely up to you. I couldn't find my exact cutters for you on line anymore, but for a 12" craft ring I used the following sizes:

When decorating cookies, icing consistency is key. For a video on how I find the right consistency, click here. For a more detailed tutorial on how to decorate cookies, click here.

How to Decorate Star Cookies

Step 1. Outline your cookie with royal icing.

Step 2. Fill in the center of your cookie with the same piping bag and icing, right away.

Step 3. Shake gently to help smooth icing over.

Step 4. Let your icing dry for 12-24 hours. See here for a video on drying decorated cookies.

If you'd like to see a video on decorating cookies, click here.

Here's another example, just cuz I was having too much fun with my new favorite photo editing site, picmonkey:

The next step involves adding disco dust (Please see note section for more on disco dust). I couldn't decide to go with silver or white for the stars…

Thanks to those who helped me chose on Instagram and twitter

Before you get started, you'll need to have your disco dust ready.

I fold a small sheet of parchment and place it on a plate, ready to catch falling disco dust.

Step 5: Outline your star with a #3 star tip, using the same royal icing you used to flood the cookie.

Step 6: Holding the cookie over the parchment, gently sprinkle disco dust onto the wet icing.  (You'll have to excuse the bad photo; it's hard to photograph at the same time!).

Pick up parchment paper and pour excess disco dust back into the container.

Step 7: Lightly brush off the disco dust, where you don't want to see it on your cookie. Unless you're willing to spend a lot of time getting every little bit of unwanted disco dust off, you'll end up with cookies somewhat like this:

Except for the messed up icing lines! (Oops!). Careful around the wet border when you're brushing the extra disco dust off. You could wait until that icing dries to brush the extra disco dust off, however, in the humidity we're experiencing here right now, I find the little disco particles stick more to the surface of the cookie over time, making it harder to remove later.

Once all stars are outlined, let them dry for about 2-6 hours before you stack them.

Putting the Cookie Wreath Together

Instead of making the ring base out of cookie dough. I went with a craft ring and chose a gingerbread dough to match and help the base blend in with the cookies. (In case you could see the ring through the cookies). If you'd like to make your ring with cookie dough, use the edges of a 12" and 10" bowl to make the template.

To make the ring food safe, I wrapped it in saran wrap., a.k.a. cling wrap. You could cover the craft ring with red, blue or white material first, if you like.

Stack the cookies, either just letting them sit on top of each other or adhering them with royal icing.

Thank you to favecrafts for allowing me to use their wreath to model after!

I couldn't find quite the same ribbon as on favecrafts.com, but ended up using two red & navy striped ribbons instead. (And didn't end up using navy polka dot ribbon).

The ribbon is a series of loops held together in the middle with a pipe cleaner. A friend of mine made it for me (she came to vist just at the right time ;-) ), as I'm not skilled that way. An alternative, which I was going to do, is a simple bow. Or, no ribbon at all:

Sitting on some colored material (Pier One napkins b.t.w.), the wreath already looks more festive. A hurricane lamp with a white candle might look nice too, I think! And if you'd like to add some snacks or other items to the middle of the wreath, without the ribbon is the way to go.

You can stack them any which way you like, but an fyi for you; I ended up using 3 small star cookies (would have like a few more of those), 14 medium cookies and 3 large ones.

A few notes…

• You should know that the quest for finding out if disco dust will be FDA approved is on-going. Apparently, it's being researched, and for now is considered non-toxic. What does that mean? Not harmful if ingested, but in my humble opinion, a good rule of thumb – everything in moderation. An alternative to using disco dust for this project is sanding sugar.
  • A few other adorable cookie wreaths for you; this gingerbread man wreath from Martha Stewart (I made this one before I started blogging, and it was truly adorable!) & this beautiful Christmas holly wreath by Julia Usher. Fancy Flours even has a kit to make her wreath! Do you have any cookie wreaths you've made or seen, which you'd like to share in the comment section or on facebook?
  • It's challenging for me to convey how pretty disco dust is, in photographs. If you have any tips you'd like to share, I'm all ears! For the photo below, I managed to capture a bit of the sparkle by using only some direct sunlight:

• Enjoying your cookie wreath as a keepsake – I emailed my friend Julia Usher about this one as I don't have a lot of experience in it, and she is definitely a cookie expert in every way! Thanks, Julia! Here's what she says:

I've tried an edible food spray shellac, but it spotted easily on the cookie surface and smells horrible, so I avoid them. If I'm storing cookies for a long time, the best thing to do is to store in covered, airtight containers so humidity and light can't get to them, at room temp in a climate-controlled area. I store very large pieces in heavy-duty corrugated bakery boxes wrapped in 30-gallon garbage bags, smaller pieces in plastic cupcake caddies also cloaked in garbage bags.

So there you have it!

Hope you've enjoyed this post!

Happy (early) 4th of July to my American friends!

p.s. If you'd like to never miss a post, and/or receive more tips on cookie decorating, click on this button below to sign up:

1. June 27, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Such a beautiful and classy display!! Gorgeous as always Marian! =)

2. June 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

I’m so in love with this wreath…AND the blue disco dust! You’re so right about it not showing up in pictures as pretty as it is in person.

I love that we used similar backgrounds for our projects!!! (Mine is just fabric, but now I think I should head to Pier 1!)

You rocked it, as always!

3. June 27, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Your unfrosted cookies look delicious Marian! Frosted and embellished with disco dust and arranged in this wreath pattern makes them all just stunning. I love this and I love your beautifully fashioned bow.

4. June 27, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Wow! Fantastic!

5. June 27, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

wow that is truly amazing. stunning!!!

6. June 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Just beautiful – I couldn’t wait to see it up close!

7. June 27, 2012 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Marian, you are amazing, such perfectionist, everything you do is fabulous. I love this!

8. June 27, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

I love your cookies! Just awesome!

9. Marian N
    June 27, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Marian, Marian, Marian how am I ever going to live up to my namesake. Your creations just make me happy. As always, thanks so much for sharing.

10. Maryann - Cookie Artisan
    June 27, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Oh Marian – you and I were on the same wavelength – so glad I went with my other idea because your wreath is sooooo perfectly done! I love your tutorials and everything you do!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for teaching all of us so much!

11. June 27, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

This is just so beautiful!

12. Belle
    June 27, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

Just beautiful, really love everything you do!

13. June 27, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

This is so beautiful! I love the blue! And the photos are stunning, Marian!

14. Isabel
    June 28, 2012 at 3:37 am | Permalink

Wow, Marian! Marvellous, wonderful work… as usual! Your cookie-wreath is fantastic! I love the way you show us how to do an amazing work! You make it as it was so easy…
    Thank you so much, Marian!

15. June 28, 2012 at 9:07 am | Permalink

I love this wreath and want to make one! or two or three! It screams 4th of JULY!!! It is the perfect patriotic decoration!!

16. June 28, 2012 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Such a sweet wreath! I love it :)

17. June 28, 2012 at 9:17 am | Permalink

so cute, you so have to do one with maple leafs for us here in canada, now that would be yummy!

18. June 28, 2012 at 10:55 am | Permalink

So beautiful, I’d love to try this with Maple Leafs. Your choice of ribbon is fantastic, love everything about this wreath!

19. Nana Phyllis
    June 28, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Did you use gingerbread cookies? They look yummy.

20. Lindy@itsybitsypaper
    June 28, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

This cookie wreath is amazing! You are just so talented. I hope you’ll add these to my Patriotic Project Parade. I would love to see them there.

21. June 29, 2012 at 7:48 am | Permalink

I love these stars. Our cookies for the 4th would look like these…if I get around to them!

22. June 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

So gorgeous! What a wonderful wreath!

23. June 29, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Marian, this is ADORABLE!!!! I don’t know if I’d have the patience to make it but it’s great. My son thinks we should give it a try for next week’s festivities. Hope you’re well and enjoying summer!! xx

24. Andrea B
    June 29, 2012 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

The gingerbread cookie recipe is a favorite here. Tonight is baking night since it is too hot to bake during the day. We are going to pack them up for the beach with our friends.

25. June 29, 2012 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

I have been using your techniques. It’s the best! I wanna make similar cookies for Malaysian’s independence day on August. Hooray, thanks to your brilliant ideas always!

June 30, 2012 at 2:54 am | Permalink

@ Nana Phyllis: Yes, they’re gingerbread. In the little blue boxes in the post, with the title, “What you’ll need”, there’s a link to the recipe there.

Thank you for your sweet and kind comments everyone!

27. July 3, 2012 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Another beautiful project! Congrats!

28. arzu sungur
    July 4, 2012 at 1:22 am | Permalink

SUPERRRRRR

29. July 4, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

The sparkle on matte of the disco dust really makes it. Very, very classy without being pretentious.

July 4, 2012 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

Thank you, ladies!

31. Monica
    July 7, 2012 at 3:04 am | Permalink

I loved you the cookies hold the star shape without spreading, and also working with disco dust. :)

32. Jessica B
    July 8, 2012 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

In think i’ve found it on your site before, but what red food coloring do you use?

July 15, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

=) There’s just something about disco dust, isn’t there @ Monica!

Generally, Americolor Super Red @ Jessica B, or (usually if I run out and don’t have time to order on line), Wilton no-taste red.

34. August 2, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

I love this beautiful wreath. I’m not crafty, but a cookie one I might be able to do. Your’s looks so perfect, I’ll really have to work on my decorating. Love it!

35. February 5, 2013 at 8:54 am | Permalink

I am huge fan of your work! I am planning to make these cookies for my daughters Birthday party (American girl theme). Planning to make them as place cards by writing the kids names with an edible marker.
    For the outline, can I use sanding sugar. I love the disco dust but doubt will be able to get it soon. Also, can I bake the cookies 3 days before the party so I have enough time to ice them and decorate them. Once iced, should I keep out covered at room temperature?
    Thanks so much,
    Asmita

February 8, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Hello @ ASmita: Yes, sanding sugar is one of my favorite things to use, too. Sprinkle it on while the outline is wet.
    Yes, you can bake the cookies 3 days ahead. Here are a few posts to help you;

Have fun decorating! xo

37. April 14, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Would like permission to use a photo of the Cookie Star Wreath to feature in an upcoming post. Please contact me.

38. June 29, 2013 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Those cookies really sparkle! I love that metallic look. I can’t wait to make one and hang it on my door! : )

39. July 4, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

This is just too cute! I would make it but it wouldn’t last long on the door!

40. July 5, 2013 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Soooooo very beautiful!

41. July 5, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

this is SO cool!!! I love the glitter edges!

1. [...] of a Cookbook Queen 14. Rustic 4th of July Galettes, Haniela’s 15. Patriotic Cookie Wreath, Sweetopia 16. Patriotic River Rafter, Ali-Bee’s Bake Shop 17. Funny Fox Cookies, The Bearfoot Baker [...]

2. [...] How to Make a July 4th Cookie Wreath Sweetopia [...]

3. By Fox Face Cookie..Your a Star! on June 28, 2012 at 9:16 am

[...] Star Cupcake Toppers, Confessions of a Cookbook QueenRustic 4th of July Galletes, Haniela’sPatriotic Cookie Wreath, SweetopiaPatriotic River Rafter, Ali-Bee’s Bake ShopFunny Fox Cookies, The Bearfoot BakerQuilted Cookie [...]

4. [...] 4th of July is coming and so the celebrations! Make this beautiful star cookie wreath from Sweetopia and [...]

5. By USA, patriotic, wreath on July 3, 2012 at 3:18 am

[...] topic. Not only do you have a beautiful table wreath but your wreath can be eaten as well. 4th of July cookie Wreath by [...]

6. [...] How to Make a July 4th Cookie Wreath Sweetopia [...]

7. [...] FIND THE FULL INSTRUCTIONS HERE! Pin itShare and Enjoy: Filed Under: 4th of july, baking, cookies About KimKim Stoegbauer, Party Stylist/Editor of The TomKat Studio. Kim is a guest stylist for Pottery Barn Kids and a contributing stylist/writer for HGTV & Project Nursery.Her work and products have been featured on HGTV.com, MarthaStewart.com, Celebrate Magazine, Parenting Magazine & more. Next PostPrevious PostChocolate + Peanut Butter + Cookie Dough :: Cupcake Monday [...]

8. By Happy 4th of July! | Hoping in God on July 4, 2012 at 5:42 am

[...] A FABULOUS Red, White & Blue Star Cookie Wreath from Sweetopia [...]

9. By Patriotic Cookie Wreath on May 26, 2013 at 2:16 pm

[...] For recipe visit the source:   sweetopia.net [...]

10. By How to Use Cookie Inspiration From Others on December 29, 2013 at 4:28 pm

[...] Patriotic Cookie Wreath via Sweetopia [...]