Apr 15

Making ‘dew drops’ for your sweets…

I entered Hallmark with the intention of finding a card for a friend, and discovered a happy thing. The perfect cookie platter.  There it was, in all it’s red and pink glory… The word cookie splayed out on the platter, in the shape of cookies themselves. How could I pass it by?

I didn’t, of course.

Copying these cookies was easy enough. Besides royal icing loops on the C and the heart (the C kept reminding me of those chocoloate hostess cakes and were igniting some serious cravings for one btw), the E (don’t have small e cutter) was lined with clear sanding sugar, and the “sprinkles” on the S were actually royal icing lines.

The tricky part was going to be the clear ‘droplets’ on the heart. (Which by the way I forgot to make my cookie into a heart shape… I made a circle… Oops).

How to Make “Water Droplets” out of Sugar

Turns out, it was easy after all. I just crushed up some clear, Trebor glitter mints, put the now powdered candy on a plate lined with parchment paper, melted the candy 10 seconds at a time in the microwave, and was left with little, sweet, water-like droplets. I wish, my dear friends, I had taken photos, but at the time, my head was thinking about this post; 50+ Secrets of a Cookie Decorator.  You see, this little cookie plate really was the catalyst for making me think about just how cookie obsessed I really am. Click on over to check it out, and leave me a comment if you’ve remotely thought any of those things before; it would help to know that it isn’t just me.

A couple of notes – It takes a lot of the little dew droplets to cover the cookie. Notice how mine are spaced out more than the one on the platter. Got tired.

If you’d like a little more explanation on how to crush candy and melt it in the microwave, click here. I bought my Trebor glitter mints at Bulk Barn, and if you’re having trouble finding them on lineyou can melt any other clear candy or, as an alternative, use isomalt.  Isomalt is often used by diabetics as a sugar substitute as it only has a small impact on blood sugar. The amount on this cookie isn’t considered a large amount, but you should know, ahem, apparently  ”…if consumed in large quantities flatulence may occur”. Here is an article on wikipedia if you’d like to see more; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isomalt

Oh, and a wee dab of royal icing under each dew drop, and tweezers to pick each little one up and attach.

If you were to look closely at the ‘e’ in the platter, you’d see it has the same water droplet effect. My E cookie doesn’t. Again, got tired.

I’m thinking though, if you ever need to make the sugar droplets, I don’t think you’ll need as many. They could work as dew droplets on sugar flowers or leaves, or any kind of water effect for a gingerbread house or bathtub cookie/cake etc.

Hope you’re enjoying the weather and life, wherever you are. I know Lionel (our Lionhead bunny), is as excited about spring as I am. On the bottom left instagram photo, he’s waiting patiently by the door for his daily ‘outside play’. The other instagram snaps are of H-banana and my lack of ‘hair-do’ skills, and Mr. Sweetopia with a fluffed up Lionel.

Oh, and can’t forget this one! There’s a new, pretty and fresh, pastel ‘Cookies’ platter out at Hallmark now, too…

How pretty would those cookies be!

Have fun baking and good luck!

p.s. Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel if you’d like to find out about my newest videos and, if you’d like to never miss a post, and/or receive more tips on cookie decorating, click on this button below to sign up:

1. April 17, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Very adorable and super cool technique! You handled a delicate subject with gas I mean class. ;)

Also Marian, I tried to click on “sign up” for your newsletter and it isn’t a link, only an image. :)

2. grethel
    April 17, 2012 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Awesome love it good idea thanks

April 17, 2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Ah, thank you, @ Michele, it’s fixed now!

Thanks, @ grethel!

4. April 17, 2012 at 10:11 am | Permalink

I love these cookies and how you’ve matched them to the platter. You are so incredibly talented!! Thanks for the how-to!

5. April 17, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Thank you! :) @ marian:

6. April 17, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Found them at Eaton Centre! :D So cute. And they’re only about $11 with the promo, otherwise it’s 17

April 17, 2012 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Awesome @ peace! And I know, on sale because it was an Easter plate – perfect!

8. Jyothi
    April 17, 2012 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

just picked up the pastel one last week! Too cute…..love your work!

9. April 17, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Marian! These are SO beautiful and clever and gorgeous! I would love to start decorating cookies, but I fear it will distract me from cakes and I still have so much to learn there!

So many top tips, thank you. x

10. April 17, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Amazing information! You are making my head spin with possibilities!! THANK YOU!!!

11. gilda
    April 17, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Great looking cookies Marian, ur work is always an “A” plus, thanks for the tips.

12. April 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

So adorable!!!!

13. Janice
    April 18, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Totally awesome – gorgeous cookies and brilliant dew drops!
    BTW – rushed out to Hallmark on Monday morning and got the last one of the pastel cookie platters & it was on the clearance rack too! Thanks Marian!

14. April 18, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

You’re so clever. I went to culinary school, and I swear I learn more from your blogs than what I spent 50K to learn!

15. Elise
    April 19, 2012 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Hi Marian!

These are beautiful cookies! You are such an amazing inspiration for me :)

April 19, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

I understand, @ Lesley (Royal Bakery), I would like to get into cakes more, but still feel like doing more with cookies first.

Woo hoo@ Janice!

What a compliment @ Amanda Innes-Shareef! Thank you, and everyone for your kind comments here!

17. Marian N
    April 19, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

I decided to include my last initial when writing you. This way your other followers will not be confused and it won’t seem so odd for you when my name pops up.
    Anyway, you continue to amaze and delight me and your many other fans with your creativity, ingenuity and amazing talent. What a blessing you are.
    Marian N

April 19, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Marian N: :-D Grinning from ear to ear. I love when your name pops up – always fun! Thank you for your lovely comments!

19. April 19, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Spectacular effect. You really amaze me:)

20. Patricia Rolon
    April 21, 2012 at 9:09 am | Permalink

I love your ideas you are the best

21. NebraskaNancy
    April 22, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Oh my! LOVE this plate and the cookies and the second plate! Sooooo darling!!!

22. Kimmie
    April 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

I love this post and I love, love, love the white cookie platter. It is gorgeous….thank you my dear friend!

23. Kescher Andrews
    April 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I loved your replica of the cookie platter from Hallmark! Awesome work. If you had not mentioned that there was anything different, I would not have noticed but awesome work all the same. I tried to sign up for your website but was unsuccessful. Thanks for the gracious tips on decorating cookies!

KC

24. April 23, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

You are terrifically talented, Marian. Thank you for sharing your creativity in the kitchen and behind the lens!

April 24, 2012 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Hello @ Kescher Andrews: Hmm, would you be able to let me know at what point there were difficulties in signing up please? That way I can narrow it down to help you. Thanks!

Well, thank you, @ Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking! xo

26. Michiganlass
    April 24, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Just love your site, my question is the disco dust. I am told it is not edible. I love the disco dust on your cookies, I have not tried it too afraid to. Can you tell me is it safe to eat??? Where can it be purchased?? Locally here they will not carry it because they say it is small pieces of plastic, non-edible. I can’t sign up for the newsletter either:( Great work on the Hallmark platter cookies you are the greatest.

April 25, 2012 at 4:44 am | Permalink

Hi @ Michiganlass: There’s a blurb about disco dust here: http://sweetopia.net/2012/03/how-to-make-st-patricks-day-decorated-cookies/
    Thanks for your comments!

@ Kescher Andrews, @ Michiganlass: The newsletter seems to be working, does it work for you?

28. Michiganlass
    April 25, 2012 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for your response:) I just love the look of the disco dust, wish FDA would approve it as edible. I am going to try it, as you say in moderation. No the newsletter is not working for me, can you just add me to the list?? I enjoy your site so much, keep up the wonderful work. I also enjoyed your idea of buying roses, I keep trying to perfect them also:) Still trying to get to your level, maybe someday!!

April 26, 2012 at 6:09 am | Permalink

Hi @ Michiganlass: No problem, I can add you!
    Would you mind sharing what browser you use please? (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome etc.). Also, what part doesn’t work for you please? Thanks so much!

30. Michiganlass
    April 26, 2012 at 9:58 am | Permalink

@ marian:
    Mi Marian,

I use Explorer, and when I try to bring up the spot to subsribe to the newsletter, it won’t do a thing. Thank you so much for adding me, now I will know what you are up to next. I have relative’s in Calgary, Berwyn Alberta, and Grande Prairie:).

Thanks again,
    Michiganlass

31. On A Lark Creations
    May 2, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Marian I love this dew drop idea! Wow! AWESOME! I live in a smaller town that has no isomalt— have you done this with heating sugar and syrup in a pan?

May 2, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

HI @ On A Lark Creations: No, I haven’t, but would love to hear how it goes if you try it!

33. May 5, 2012 at 6:12 am | Permalink

What an awesome tip. The effect is great!

34. July 2, 2012 at 1:13 am | Permalink

I had the exact same reaction to the C, it totally looks like that little hostess cake! Thank you so much for all of your tutorials. I’m more of a cake and fondant sort but I can’t wait to start on cookies now!

July 2, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Thank you, @ Lisa!

Ha ha, @ Cassie D., funny how we recognize it instantly! Have fun with cookies! Maybe I’ll come to you with cake questions, as I’m more of a cookie girl, but want to start cakes too. =) Have fun!

36. Cindy
    August 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Marian, so glad you enjoyed the cookie plate! They were my designs! Enjoy them! A fellow cookie lover, Cindy :+)

August 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Cindy! How cool is that! Thanks so much for leaving a comment – I obviously love your cookie plate design! Do you have a website you could share pls? xo

38. Jennifer Livingston
    August 10, 2012 at 8:54 am | Permalink

LOVE THE COOKIES PLATE AS WELL!!

39. Lani
    November 11, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Hi! First off, I wanted to commend you on your work. You are amazingly talented! We all appreciate you sharing your talent with us! My question is, is the “Trebor glitter mints” you mentioned the same as the “Trebor strong mints”? If so, does the minty taste come thru on the cookies?

40. Kathy
    January 14, 2013 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Hi, The cookies are beautiful. What brand and size letter cookie cutters did you use for the capital and small letters? Thanks. Kathy

January 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

HI @ Lani: It does, a subtle flavour, but yes.

@ Kathy: I used my alphabet letter set Williams-Sonoma was selling a few years back. It only came with capital letters so ended up not making the small letters. Here’s what they look like; http://www.diggerslist.com/sale/kitchen/William-Sonoma-ABC-Cookie-Cutter-Set-of-26-Letters-in-Metal-Storage-Tin/57525/

42. AMAL GALAL
    February 21, 2013 at 1:04 am | Permalink

pls how to make drop’s

43. May 27, 2013 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

I melted Jolly Ranchers in a container… it was plastic… it now has a hole in it! Hilarious! Such a good idea!! Thank you for this, I’ll be sure to use a glass container next time! =)

August 25, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Oh boy! Yes, I probably should have stressed the word ‘plate’ in my description!

44. Kathleen
    August 20, 2013 at 12:31 am | Permalink

and that is why you are my favorite! genius.

August 25, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Too cute, lol, Kathleen!

45. February 9, 2014 at 8:07 am | Permalink

THANK YOU MARIAN FOR SHARING YOUR CRETIVITY. I AM TRYING TO ACHIEVE WATERDROPLETS TO USE WITH ON LITTLE MERMAID SWEETS I AM IN NY I WONDER WHAT OTHER CANDY I CAN USE THAT’S CLEAR? I WILL INVESTIGATE. MARIAN ONCE AGAIN “THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR WONDERFUL TALENT WITH THE WORLD AND BEING A GREAT INSPIRATION TO MANY.” MANY BLESSINGS

SWEET REGARDS,
    MAYRA

46. christina
    April 13, 2014 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I make hard candy for my kids all the time, now I have something to do do with th h all those dribbles. Lol

1. By Magic Mirror Cookies on June 4, 2012 at 5:01 am

[...] you can get your hands on glitter mints, I think they would work the best! They looked awesome on these cookies by Sweetopia. So, I made my own hard candy…and it still wasn’t perfectly clear. Sad [...]