Feb 11

Guest Post from Amanda of i am baker – How to Make Heart Cake

I have a special surprise for you today!

If you haven’t already ‘met’ her, I’d like to introduce to you the lovely Amanda from i am baker.  I’m so thankful she’s here today to show you how to create her gorgeous Heart Cake!  Check out the summary of her tutorial below as well as all her stunning sweet creations over on her blog.  I only hope to be able to make cakes like she does some day!  After you get a ‘taste’ of her absolutely striking Valentine cake here, you’ll want to head on over to her site to see the full how-to!

Hello!!  It’s Amanda from i am baker and wow, I just can’t believe Marian is letting me crash here today! Marian is one of the most talented, creative and innovative cookie designers I know. Her works often leaves me gasping out loud… and that is no easy feat in this day and age!

Thank you Marian, for all you do. And thanks for letting me hang out here for a bit! It’s a dream come true!!!

How to Make a Heart Cake – Summarized Version

Start out by making four eight inch pans of white cake.  (If you want the actual recipe, just click here)

Make one 9×13 (you can do whatever shape and size you want) pan of red velvet cake. (recipe here)

Break the red velvet cake apart with a fork, combine with one cup of frosting and mix well.  Level each white cake and frost the halves together.

Freeze the white cakes for a few hours, then make a circle on each surface using toothpicks tied together with twine.

Following the circle guideline, carve out a V-shape in one of the cakes (Bottom cake, pictured above).

Using a knife, carve out the top half of your cake with a little island in the center (Top cake, pictured above).

Fill each center with red-velvet cake crumbs, let cakes set in the freezer and place the half hollowed out with an ‘island’ in the middle on top of half hollowed out as a V-shape.

Cover your cake with icing, decorate and serve!

You can find the recipes and the full-how to at Amanda’s blog. She shows you more pics, provides detalied explanations and will make you smile while you’re reading them.

Thank you Amanda, for guest posting here!

Happy (early) Valentine’s Day to all of you!

1. February 12, 2011 at 12:51 am | Permalink

You make this look so simple Amanda! The mark of a true artist! Wonderful job guest posting!!!

2. February 12, 2011 at 1:32 am | Permalink

WOW! That’s just beautiful and so creative!

3. February 12, 2011 at 1:54 am | Permalink

Amanda this is my favorite cake that you’ve made. Just BEAUTIFUL.

4. meriam from moorea
    February 12, 2011 at 2:20 am | Permalink

waw,this is so nice and creative!!thks for sharing this,i m gonna try as soon as possible,my daughters are gonna love that!!

5. February 12, 2011 at 4:32 am | Permalink

The two of you together??!? *sigh* I wish we could all ACTUALLY get together! Wouldn’t that be FUN?!?

This cake is still one of my favorite sweet treats EVER!

6. Kimmie
    February 12, 2011 at 6:07 am | Permalink

This is adorable. I am going to make this on Monday for a young lady at school whose birthday is on Valentines Day! Thank you Marian!

7. February 12, 2011 at 7:33 am | Permalink

This looks marvelous!! Thanks Marian for sharing :)

8. February 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

GORGEOUS!

9. February 12, 2011 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Love this! Amanda and her creativity strikes again!!

10. February 12, 2011 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Love, love, love it! The cake, the post and YOU!

11. February 12, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

I am so doing this if I can find a few minutes to myself! So cute.

12. Hannah
    February 13, 2011 at 1:17 am | Permalink

Yay! I see you took my advice!
    Haha!
    BTW, totally awesome tutorial, Amanda!

13. February 13, 2011 at 4:17 am | Permalink

This is really really cool! I have a “cake crush” on, A, I really cannot bake cakes like this, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE to look at hers! Just mindboggled as usual!!!

14. February 13, 2011 at 8:27 am | Permalink

Wow – so simple, but I never would have thought of this. This has me thinking up other shapes I could put inside cakes….

15. February 13, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

This is AMAZING!!!!=) I heart the heart cake!!

16. February 13, 2011 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Thanks for sharing Marian ! I probably will try the heart in the cake, it is so beautiful. The subtittle of Amand’s Blog : “and a lots, lots of calories” is delicious.

17. February 13, 2011 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Oh so brilliant!!!!! just love it – it inspires me in so many ways. Just shared it with my facebook friends – Big thank you for sharing!!!

18. February 14, 2011 at 5:05 am | Permalink

Marian, your blog is so nice! I love this idea..we can also try it with other shapes..great! Thanks.

19. Flavia
    February 14, 2011 at 7:38 am | Permalink

made mine! the carving takes getting used to, i made mine a little wonky, and packed it too full with red velvet cake so the top split a little bit, but it still turned out yummy and im quite proud of it! i used white box mix, and added the cocoa, apple cider vinegar, ad flavouring from the red velvet recipe. used a bit too much red food coloring (1-2T is more than enough) so its not as bright as yours :) BF and I had a slice each tonight, and he’s taking the rest (what you see in the pic) to work tomorrow. My first time making a layer cake and icing, so not perfect, but was a great learning experience. Thanks for the tut! http://flic.kr/p/9i3JWu

February 14, 2011 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Flavia, Amanda of i am baker would be proud! (and I’m impressed!)
      It looks delish – I’ll bet your BF thinks you’re the best! (and so will his co-workers tomorrow). =)

20. Joyce
    February 14, 2011 at 8:00 am | Permalink

this is so creative!! thanks marian and amanda! i love guest posts:)

21. Carrie
    February 14, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Cute Cake! Thanks Marian for all the great posts!
    Happy Valentines Day!

22. February 15, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

She is really amazing this is beautiful and so creative, love her blog and following her on twitter.

23. February 17, 2011 at 1:31 am | Permalink

This is number one on my 2011 must make list! Can’t wait to give it a try!

24. February 17, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

This is such a wonderful and creative idea! I really love it – how effective

25. February 20, 2011 at 7:00 am | Permalink

Nice cut and great pictures! Thanks!

26. February 21, 2011 at 12:22 am | Permalink

Oh, my! She is brilliant! I love it. I would love to learn more of her secrets! …and yours, too, of course. I am so glad I found you last week!

27. March 4, 2011 at 3:31 am | Permalink

Beautiful cake and awesome idea. I also made heart cake, but my cake was so soft. Cutting was very difficult :( My little daughter said: Look mother, teddy bear (er… it is heart, my darling :D )

28. Kassy
    April 8, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Permalink
  29. May 7, 2011 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

My husband just made me this cake for mother’s day. It came out awesome!

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sweetopia, bedielsandco, The Sugar Tree, Renee Goerger , Irene Staal and others. Irene Staal said: Love your blog! RT @sweetopia {New Post} Guest Post by Amanda of i am baker! http://fb.me/UEFG2GFx [...]

2. [...] Źródło Jeżeli podoba Ci się ten wpis podziel się z innymi i kliknij [...]

3. [...] Cheesecake Pops {Steamy Kitchen} 2. Red Velvet Macarons {My Juice Cup} 3. How to Make a Heart Cake {Sweetopia} 1. Red Velvet Brownie Pie with Cream Cheese Whipped Cream {Crazy for Crust} 2. Red Velvet Gooey [...]