Apr 07

Fairy Garden Birthday Party – TomKat Studio

kates-3rd-birthday-1

I have a different kind of eye-candy here for you today!  Have you seen the TomKat Studio?  The first time I saw Kim’s site I got lost in it for ages. Her passion for parties and decorating come through in all the charming and gorgeous ideas!

Recently Kim threw a Fairy Garden Birthday party for her daughter, Kate.  {Photography by Vicky Lynn}.

Just seeing the pictures makes me want to throw a theme party!

And that’s exactly what I’m going to do!  It won’t be for months but I’m extremely excited and lucky to have Kim from the TomKat studio making party printables for me.

What are party printables you ask?

Things like this:

And this:

My theme is a secret for now… but you can bet I’ll be sharing all the details and plans leading up to it with you.

These are the cookies I ended up making for Kate.

I do have to mention here that I don’t actually do orders – there just isn’t enough time – this was an exception as Kim and I decided to exchange our skills.

She origninally shared her images with me {The silhouttes for her designs were created by Jess of Pen N’ Paper Flowers} and I used the Canon PIXMA MP560 Printer with edible ink to print them onto frosting sheets.

I was too busy to do step by step pics for a tutorial, but there’s a mini-tutorial on edible ink images here if you’d like to find out how it’s done.

If you haven’t already check out the TomKat Studio for more sweet ideas!

1. Renee
    April 7, 2010 at 6:46 am | Permalink

You did such a beautiful job on the cookies! So amazing!! I have to admit, though, I did cry (just a little…okay, a lot!) when I read that you aren’t selling your cookies. I was totally going to order some like what you made for TomKat for my daughters party! 🙁
    But really, all your work is gorgeous!

2. April 7, 2010 at 7:26 am | Permalink

I am glad to finally see the cookies up close! You did a fantastic job (of course!). Love them!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
    party inspiration

3. April 7, 2010 at 7:28 am | Permalink

Oh so lovely! I wonder if my husband would let me buy a printer just for making cookies…

4. April 7, 2010 at 7:58 am | Permalink

I have been drooling over these at her site… OF COURSE you made them!! They are perfection and fit perfectly!!

Blessings-
    Amanda

5. April 7, 2010 at 8:04 am | Permalink

wow, this is gorgeous! i love the colors and all the fun patterns and prints! the cupcakes look heavenly!!

6. April 7, 2010 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh! Those are the most beautiful cookies I have ever seen. Everything is beautiful ~ what a lucky little girl 🙂

7. Jenny
    April 7, 2010 at 8:33 am | Permalink

oh my goodness, your cookies are amazing! i saw them on kim’s site the other day and wondered who made such perfectly cute cookies. 🙂

8. April 7, 2010 at 9:31 am | Permalink

WOW! Marian, gorgeous! love the colors!

9. April 7, 2010 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Oh My Stinkin’ Heck. I LOVE TomKat studios!!!! And I LOVE LOVE those cookies you made for her party. I need to think of something amazing I can swap with you because I’m pretty sure I need you to make some cookies for my twins birthday! 😉 LOL. I’ll think of some of my ‘mad’ skills and try to talk you into it! 😉 ha. Thanks for sharing. They are breath-taking. -Shelley {HowDoesShe.com}

10. April 7, 2010 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Oh my goodness Marian! These cookies are just beautiful!! They are sooo sweet!! She was a very very lucky little girl to recieve your cookies!!

11. Kimmie
    April 7, 2010 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Well I think for the theme it should be “Kimmie’s 50th”, although that is only giving you 10 days to get it all done….so get on it will you! Love everything here Marian….missed you today!

12. danielle
    April 7, 2010 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

okay those printables-absolutely amazzzzing my friend!!!!!!
    http:cookiesxo.blogspot.com

13. April 8, 2010 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Amazing! I love parties 🙂 My youngest will turn 3 in June and we’re going to have a princess party. She won’t remember it, but it’s going to be so fun!

14. April 8, 2010 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Love it all, but the cookies and cake are INCREDIBLE!

15. April 11, 2010 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Love the TomKat Studio! And Kim is the sweetest. This party and your cookies are gorgeous!!

16. April 12, 2010 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Those COOKIES!!! Oh my gosh, well the whole party is amazing but now I REALLY can’t wait for my food coloring ink to get here for my printer!!!

17. April 15, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Hey Marian-
    I follow both your site and TomKat studio! I adore both of your work!! I’d like to know where you got the square cookie cutter used in this post and several other ones you’ve done. I have been trying to find it and haven’t had any luck! Thanks!

Jessica

18. April 15, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jessica! I got my square fluted cookie cutters on Amazon. Click herefor a link.
    Happy decorating!

19. Pat
    April 26, 2010 at 7:36 am | Permalink

Hi again Marian!
    As always, everything you create is so adorable and well-executed! I love it! One question, when you use the projector to project the drawings on to the cookie, did you hand draw the illustration or copied them from a ribbon or wrapping paper? Because some of them are soo adorable and I want to make some that look like them but can never find the exact same picture you might have used. I’m referring to the picture here:http://s4.hubimg.com/u/1912863_f260.jpg

Where do I get cute simple pictures like those? Thanks!
    xx

20. April 26, 2010 at 8:47 am | Permalink

Thanks Pat! I usually find the cute images from stickers! I couldn’t tell you offhand where I got those for sure, but probably Michael’s craft store. It was a few years ago, but they might still have them. Either way they have adorable stickers!

21. Silke
    May 1, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Hi Marion,

Can you tell me what tip us used for the borders (not the little dot borders but the other ones). Thanks!!

Silke

22. Silke
    May 1, 2010 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry MARIAN…I just realized that I spelled your name incorrectly. My apologies.

23. May 1, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

No worries Silke! I used a number 16 star tip.

24. May 13, 2010 at 1:52 am | Permalink

Hi Marian!

I am making these cookies this weekend for a birthday party! I ended up designing my own images and getting them printed from Hello Frosting. I’d love to get my own printer and ink, but there is no where to store it! Anyways, I love how you finished the boarders around the cookie. What kind of frosting did you use? I am hoping to do a buttercream, but I’m not sure what to use and how long I should let it stay out. Also, do I have to worry about the edible icing decal sticking to the bag or if I stack the cookies without being in a bag will they stick?

25. May 13, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Jessica!
    I used royal icing for my edges. I used the same recipe I always use for royal icing which is in this post here:

The only difference is that I didn’t thin it out with water. I kept it nice and thick so that the scallopped details showed.

The icing dries somewhat hard – just so you know. Buttercream would taste lovely, but you wouldn’t be able to bag it because it would smear/smudge on the gift bag. Same thing for stacking the cookies; they’ll stick.

You could try a meringue border; it will also dry hard but be softer on the inside.

Happy decorating! Would love to see your results if you’d like to share them on my facebook page!

26. May 16, 2010 at 1:36 am | Permalink

Thanks Marian!!!

I will totally post pictures tomorrow. So, here is my other dilemma! The party is tomorrow at 10:30 am! If I’m using Royal icing, I would imagine I need to let them dry overnight? So, is it safe to frost and decorate today or will the decal dry out? Should I somehow keep them covered from the light so they don’t fade?

You’re super helpful! I really appreciate your expertise and advice!

May 16, 2010 at 5:31 am | Permalink

Hi Jessica,
    Yes, the cookies can stay uncovered overnight to let them dry. They won’t be stale as the icing acts as a sort of sealant.
    You don’t need to keep them covered from the light either; it would take quite a while for them to fade.

Can’t wait to see pics!

28. May 17, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

@ marian:
    posted a link to one of the photos on facebook, will post more tomorrow! Thanks for all of your help!

29. June 1, 2010 at 5:53 am | Permalink

Thanks Marian!!!

You’re super helpful! I really appreciate your expertise and advice!

June 1, 2010 at 7:33 am | Permalink

Emily; they’re fine to let dry overnight. The decal won’t dry out or fade.
    Happy decorating!

31. Leslie
    July 25, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

I know this is an older post, but I thought I’d let you know that this post was featured on some other blog around a year ago, but because of the beautifully decorated cookies, I clicked the picture and have been a faithful follower of Sweetopia ever since. Thanks so much for sharing your talent with the world! The tips and demos you give are invaluable. Thanks again!

July 26, 2011 at 2:27 am | Permalink

Aww, thanks so much Leslie!

33. arps
    November 7, 2011 at 8:01 am | Permalink

i love this party-beautiful!! Where can I get a copy of the images for the cookies? I would love to make some. thanks!