Apr 26

Bonnie Gordon Cake Show 2010

Sunday’s visit to the Bonnie Gordon Cake Show in Toronto completely blew me away.  The cake design talent there… well, it just left me in awe.

See for yourself in these pics:

Isn’t she stunning?!  All edible!

The uber-talented cake artist, Alexandria Pellegrino, who made these three magnificent cakes (above & below) can be found at Cake Opera Co.

A few more…

The detail is extraordinary… Here’s a close-up of the hand-painted sailboats:

You can probably tell that Alexandria’s were among my faves, but there were so many other gorgeous cakes I loved. (Sorry I can’t post them all here!)

The exhibition of cakes were created by Bonnie Gordon students and alumni of the school.  This year’s main exhibition themes were Wedding Cakes and Celebration Cakes and live competitions included the Wedding Cake Competition, Cupcake Challenge and Cake Design Challenge.

Yes it’s cake!

Susan Smythe Bishop’s cake below won for the category Cake Design – Wedding Cakes.

This “fire engine” cake by Matthew Somers actually had working lights!  It won the Cake DesignCelebration Cakes category.

Jaclyn Douglas and Isabelle Loiacono, both instructors at the Bonnie Gordon School are working on their Wedding Cake Competition cake here.

Genevieve Griffin of For the Love of Cake and her teammate Patricia Rivera were also competing in the Wedding Cake Challenge.

Here’s the carnival-themed Cupcake Challenge in progress.  Check out the ferris wheel on the right which Rossana Pantaleo made to hold her cupcakes.  So cute!

The winning cupcakes were made by Catherine Chen.

Here she is (on the left), with Bonnie Gordon.

Speaking of which, it’s thanks to leading cake designer and founder of the Bonnie Gordon School, Bonnie Gordon, that this wonderful show took place.  A huge thanks to her for creating the event and for her innovative leadership in the cake community!

Having taken numerous classes at her school, I feel confident in recommending BG classes to others and am proud to have the school as a sponsor of Sweetopia!

Congrats again to all the entries and contestants; everyone did such a beautiful job! Can’t wait to see the cakes next year!

1. April 29, 2010 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Oh my goodness! I am inspired and in awe! Oh to have that kind of talent! It makes me want to get back into cake decorating and master the art a little better!

2. linda
    April 29, 2010 at 10:32 am | Permalink

thank you so much for letting us share this amazing & truly extraordinary show!

wow!

i want to run to the nearest cake decorating school & sign up…but first i have to master your exquisite cookie decorating!

marian…you are truly talented!

3. Rachel
    April 29, 2010 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Thank you for posting these amazing pictures and giving some insight of the cake show. I wish I can go to a cake show like this.
    It is so wonderful to see all the talents. It is my dream to go to a culinary school, but it’s out of reach for now :-(

4. Maria João
    April 29, 2010 at 11:09 am | Permalink

wow!!!!
    who has the courage to eat one of these works??
    Thanks for sharing.

5. April 29, 2010 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Wow! Phenomenal. I’m so inspired!

6. April 29, 2010 at 11:35 am | Permalink

The Cake Opera Co. ones were amazing but the cheese one made me smile…

7. April 29, 2010 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Woooooooooooooooooow! Those are the most amazing cakes I’ve ever seen!

8. Alex
    April 29, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Wow! These are all so gorgeous :)

9. April 29, 2010 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Wow, those cakes are amazing! Thank you for sharing the pictures :) I wish we had a school like that in Australia! Did you enter a cake?

10. April 29, 2010 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

I know – I’d have trouble eating these beautiful cakes too!
    Laura I didn’t enter a cake. Mayyybe if they had a cookie category I may have.

11. April 30, 2010 at 7:43 am | Permalink

WOW! Those cakes are amazing! I would have loved to be there in person to see all the details up close!

12. Rose
    April 30, 2010 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

OMG Opera Cake Company is not to be believed! You must have had a spectacular time enjoying this show!

13. April 30, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

WOW!!! I am really speechless Marian! Amazing cakes

14. Katie
    May 1, 2010 at 7:33 am | Permalink

Cool! I went to the cake show as well and have many similar pictures posted on my Facebook which have attracted all kinds of ooohs and aaahs from my friends :) I’m kind of tempted to try one of Bonnie Gordon’s short classes (mini cakes or cookies!) now too.

15. May 1, 2010 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Wow and wow again! Beautiful cakes and sugar work! What a great show – thanks for sharing the wonderful photos!

16. May 2, 2010 at 2:18 am | Permalink

Wow these are so amazing and inspiring. Would so love to attend the Bonnie Gordon school. Thanks for sharing.

17. May 2, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks everyone! The cakes really were spectacular this year and we are all very proud of our talented student and alumni.

We have started planning next year’s Cake Show and would love to receive your comments, feedback and of course suggestions and wish list for next year’s event.

Please visit our school website at http://www.bonniegordoncakes.com or send your comments and wish list to sinead@bonniegordoncakes.com

Confectionately yours,

Bonnie Gordon

18. May 15, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Wow! I am blown away by your talent! Your cake creations are AMAZING! Just amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your picts with us! I’m sending you the Sunshine award for blogging. If you are interested, pop over to my blog to pick it up. http://www.lissyinitaly.blogspot.com
    Melissa

19. May 22, 2010 at 12:03 am | Permalink

Ahh, all these cakes are so beautiful! Now I wish I could just taste and review them!

20. September 13, 2010 at 12:06 am | Permalink

OMG, what incredible cakes. I see why the Alexandria Pelligrino are your faves, they are amazing

21. nabz
    February 5, 2011 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

This is really amazing! I’mm so in love with them all.

22. March 25, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Those cakes were amazing! I cannot believe the detailed work in those first few cakes. Simply stunning!

23. maryam
    September 22, 2011 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

oH mY goD !!
    absolutely amazing

24. Robert
    November 7, 2011 at 11:30 am | Permalink

I could not help but notice that that I did not see any men in this show and I wonder why?

I am also truly amazed at the talent and how their creations are beautiful and soulful.

25. blaze
    July 16, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!these cakes are absolutely amazing I’ve never seen anything like them there colors so vivid and bright there designs so intricate the simply gorgeous!!!!!!!!! =) :) =)

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Heretica Neue, Sweetopia and Kristin Ausk, c a t h. c a t h said: Thanks for incl. photos of my cupcakes! :) Lovely post! RT @sweetopia Just put up a a post about the #cakeshow… http://bit.ly/d8RUt5 [...]

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Heretica Neue, Sweetopia, Kristin Ausk, c a t h, Ed Kung and others. Ed Kung said: RT @sugarbaking: Thanks for incl. photos of my cupcakes! :) Lovely post! RT @sweetopia Just put up a a post about the #cakeshow… http://bit.ly/d8RUt5 [...]