Mar 28

Easy Easter Decorated Cookies

Want to make some simple decorated Easter cookies?

Try these marbled Easter eggs and chicks or these bunnies covered in sanding sugar.

Love that sanding sugar!  It actually looks kind of sparkly in some lighting.

If you’d like to try these Bunny Cookies, you’ll need:

Sugar Cookie Recipe

Royal Icing Recipe

Gel Paste Food Colors

Sanding Sugar

Pastry Bags

Couplers

Piping Tips

How to Make Easy Easter Bunny Cookies:

After you’ve baked your cookies and let them cool, it’s time to decorate!  For tips and hints on making royal icing  and an in-depth cookie decorating tutorial, click here.

1.  Pipe the outline of your cookies.

2.  Fill or flood the outline.

3.  Gently shake the cookie from left to right to help settle the bumps if there are any.

4.  Add the pink detail on the bunny’s ear.

5.  Gently shake the cookie again to smooth the icing.

5.  Place your cookie on a plate and pour sanding sugar over it when the cookie icing is wet.

6.  Tilt cooke above the plate to remove the excess sanding sugar, and leave cookies to dry.

7.  Add any details such as eyes, nose, tail etc.

8.  When the icing has dried, bag (if you like), and serve!

To make the following Easter eggs and chick cookies, please see the marbling technique in my Cookie Decorating Tutorial – General Tips and Butterfly Cookies.

Happy Easter Decorating!

1. March 28, 2010 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

SO Cute! I haven’t made sugar cookies in a while, but I might now. :)

2. maria
    March 28, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

so beautiful! Truly lovely! :) I will tweet it! :D

3. bubble&squeak
    March 28, 2010 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

I am so addicted to your biscuits…and I haven’t even tasted them yet! I wish I could. Maybe you should consider selling them on Etsy.
    Your piping work is really something.
    You have such a steady hand.
    I think you really should consider publishing your work as a book somewhere down the track.
    I was fascinated by iced cookies ever since I read about tea parties in Alice in Wonderland.
    Have you ever done a Wonderland theme for anyone?
    The cookies I read about here are cute but I think yours are just as pretty if not better.
    Thank you for bringing such sweet things into our lives!

4. Jenny
    March 29, 2010 at 12:28 am | Permalink

these cookies are adorable. i love how you used sanding sugar to make the bunnies look fuzzy. so cute! by the way, i just recently started following your site and i LOVE it! your tutorials are wonderful and you make the cutest things. :)

5. March 29, 2010 at 1:47 am | Permalink

These are just adorabel and ” vrolijk pasen” to you( how you say happie easter in dutch).
    Greetings Rianne

6. linda
    March 29, 2010 at 2:49 am | Permalink

you are just so talented! this is a great post….left a comment @ bakerella as well…
    happy holiday & thanks for all the inspiration!

7. Kerri
    March 29, 2010 at 4:01 am | Permalink

Bubble and Squeek I agree with you 100%. I love everything about Marian, she truly has a talent and is gifted with such creativity. Making my cookies today, ready for decorating on Wednesday….can’t wait. As always your cookies are gorgeous.

8. Kerri-Ann
    March 29, 2010 at 5:02 am | Permalink

Marian,
    Your cookies are, as always, stunning! What I love most about your work is the simplicity of the design. You do just enough to make your work art. Thank you for showing those of us who are minimalists at heart the simple beauty of sugar art.

9. March 29, 2010 at 6:27 am | Permalink

I heart you ;o) lol..seriously love all your work and your tutorials, I can’t tell you enough how much I love it! It’s like having a private class. Hugs!!!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com

10. March 29, 2010 at 7:17 am | Permalink

Marion, those are adorable. I love the bunnies and the little chick in the half broken shell. Makes me want to go get in the kitchen and start baking! YOu make it look so easy and fun.

11. March 29, 2010 at 7:43 am | Permalink

I adore these cookies, they look simply perfect.

12. March 29, 2010 at 8:52 am | Permalink

I love your cookies.Like always, you make it look so easey to do……
    Frohe Ostern, Happy Easter!

13. March 29, 2010 at 10:49 am | Permalink

All the cookies are so cute. I especially love the butterflies, simple yet elegant. Really enjoyed your guest post yesterday with Bridget at bakeat350.

14. March 29, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I saw your tutorial on marbling at Bake@350…so cute! I *love* your cookies :)

15. March 29, 2010 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Those bunnies, those chicks! *sigh*

16. March 29, 2010 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

LOVE your bunnies. May have to make some myself tonight! U r so inspiring as always!

17. March 29, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Absolutely perfect and adorable! The bunnies are my fave!

18. March 30, 2010 at 6:31 am | Permalink

Beautiful! I love the sanding sugar technique! Your butterflies are to die for! Cute chicks too! Thank YOU!

19. March 30, 2010 at 11:27 am | Permalink

que preciosidad,me encanta tu blog y pienso visitarlo mucho para aprender sobre las galletas decoradas que es mi pasion.
    bss.

20. March 30, 2010 at 11:31 am | Permalink

una preciosidad,me encanta tu blog y lo visitare mucho,me encanta decorar galletas pero tengo mucho que aprender.
    bss.

21. March 31, 2010 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Simple and tastefully done. As always. That close up photo of the sanding sugar is amazing!!! How in the world did you get such a detailed picture of sugar?

22. March 31, 2010 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

these are just beautiful!!!!

23. March 31, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Renee, this Canon Macro Lens is awesome! I love it for close-ups and it’s actually my favorite lens for my pics.

Thanks for the comments!

24. April 1, 2010 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

you are simply a cookie-piping-goddess! I envy your cookie decorating skills! The bunnies are my absolute favourite. Soooo cute!

25. April 1, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Your cookies are so beautiful! Thanks for the great tutorial. I have been a little afraid to try cookies like these, but I think I will try them now.

26. April 2, 2010 at 8:40 am | Permalink

To see the butterflies makes me very excited. It is hard to believe that it is almost butterfly time again! I love making them!

Wonderful job as always!

27. nan bedford
    April 3, 2010 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

You saved my life with the outline first suggestion. thanks. really cute. it was all I could do. Happy Easter. God bless. NB

28. April 7, 2010 at 5:14 am | Permalink

wow..these are brillant!! i wish i had seen it during easter.. i would have definately tried it out!! next easter for sure… :) btw Happy belated Easter

29. April 7, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Gah! That photo with the chick cookies all lined up on the plate is the cutest thing I have ever seen! I love these. All of your cookies are amazing :)

30. Lisa
    July 11, 2010 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

WOW, what a beautiful and informative blog! WELL DONE! Keep up the wonderful work and thank you!

31. August 4, 2010 at 1:43 am | Permalink

Great article. I love the bunny cookies and they look very easy to make.

32. sara-qatar
    October 10, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

wooow .. it’s like so Delicious <3
    Can you show us how Make The Duck
    Thanx 4 u sweety …!

33. Marian (Sweetopia)
    October 11, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

@ sara-qatar:
    Sure, a step-by-step with pics will have to be another time, but, have you seen the tutorial on how to marble royal icing? (The technique for the ducks wings). There’s a tutorial on that here:

(add on… and now a video on marbling here: http://sweetopia.net/2010/12/video-how-to-marble-or-swirl-royal-icing/ )

Happy decorating!

34. Lala
    April 16, 2011 at 7:49 am | Permalink

I’m always impressed with what you do especially decorating cookies. You’re a genius!

I have a question, how come some of the decorated cookies look shiny and some are not, do you add corn syrup to some Royal Icing like others do?

Thanks!

April 16, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Wow, Lala, thanks for the sweet comments (genious is extremely generous though!! lol).
      Sometimes when I take my cookie pics, the icing is still wet, and that’s why it looks so shiny. A little less shiny, but pretty; sometimes I spray PME pearl lustre spray on the dry icing for a bit of shimmery sheen.
      I have heard that corn syrup make a difference and i’ve been meaning to try it for SO LONG, but still haven’t!

35. April 20, 2011 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

loved the duck wing

36. April 21, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Ohhhh look at that!!
    ADORABLE, thats all I can say. And yes I’d looove to taste them as well…just lookin’ at these is just….wow.
    Marian, you’re an official pro!! (not that this is new but…)
    :-)
    Speak laaater,
    wish you such a great day, deco queen :-)
    love, niner

37. laura
    March 26, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

hi marian,
    LOVE your cookies!!! i have a question about sanding sugar and disco sugar… is there a place where i could buy them that isn’t online? in the middle of my piping process my hand get tiered and my decorating starts getting sloppy, how can i get better results and les pain in my hand? Thank you sooo much for your tutorial!

- XOXO Laura!

March 27, 2012 at 8:19 am | Permalink

@ marina guimaraes, @ niner from wechooseorganic.com: Thanks guys! xo

@ laura: It depends where you live, of course. In the Toronto area you can buy it at the Bonnie Gordon School of Confections. In other cities, *some* baking supply stores sell it, some don’t. It’s honestly a matter of visiting them and seeing what they have (or phoning them first).

If you’re experiencing pain in your hand, your icing might be a bit thick. Genereally flood icing doesn’t give me that pain because it’s runny enough that it easily flows out of the piping bag, and not much pressure at all is required to squeeze the icing out. That being said, I’m only making approx. 30 cookies at a time. Maybe if you’re making 200 of them at a time, the hand would feel different (flood icing too). I would suggest taking a break, cleaning up, doing other things you need to do, and then coming back to decorating. Hope that helps!

39. April 1, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

hi Marian,
    I love your cookies! Where can I buy the bunny cookie cutters? I have been looking for a similar shape and haven’t found it :( hope you can help me. Keep the good work! Mel.

April 1, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

HI @ Mel Kelly: They were from a Wilton Easter set of cutters. I think I bought them at Michael’s but it was a few years ago now.

41. April 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Hello I am your number 1 fan…
    Laugh but I have not any mixture that you have on the royal icing. Can you
    give me an another easy recipe without the powder

By what is difficult in a can in Madagascar to find the merunge powder .
    Thank so much for your recipe god bless you

42. April 10, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Julie: So cool that you’re in Madagascar!
    YOu can find a recipe without meringue powder if you click on the top of my site, Recipes, then look under Icing, then click on Gingerbread House Icing. There will be a recipe in there made with egg whites, not meringue powder. Have fun!

43. Autumn
    April 1, 2014 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

I love this recipe, I’ll never go back now! Although at first my dough was runny and goopy even after I froze it for 2 hours. I added 1 cup of flour to my refrigerated dough in my mixer until it was mixed in. Then I refrigerated it for an hour and it was fine. I’m guessing I forgot to add in the last cup of flour since my measuring cup is goes up to 2 cups. I almost through the dough away, normally I would and it’d find a new recipe and start all over. I decided to try to figure out what happened instead because the dough tasted AMAZING! I’m glad I stuck with it, I thought I did everything perfectly but sometimes you can forget the simplest thing especially with kiddos around. Maybe this post will help the others who had a goopy mess, since I read a couple of those hoping for a solution! Either way I’ll never go back to any other cookie dough recipe! Thank you! Also your icing tips were wonderful and worked great! I still need a ton of practice since this was my first attempt! I can only wish to be as good as you! One more thing, I had to fight my kids off barely long enough to get pictures and we even had a casualty, my bunny cookie lost an eye and an ear lol, but everyone agrees they are amazing, and I have a tough crowed they are bruitully honest! ;) there have been cookies my kids wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole when to me they taste fine, like I said earlier I was fighting them away lol. Thanks again :)

44. April 3, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

How awesome, Autumn! I’m so, so glad to hear it, and loved hearing all the details about how it went. Thanks so much for sharing. xo

1. By uberVU - social comments on April 1, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by LittlePinkBox: Easy Easter Decorated Cookies from @sweetopia http://bit.ly/9E4NTV

2. By Flavors to Follow: Easter | Sandy a la Mode on April 2, 2010 at 11:05 am

[...] prints on fleur avenue see: cute easter bunny on holy comfort eat: easter decorated cookies on sweetopia make: easter wreaths on torie jayne print: easter card on oh so beautiful paper decorate: easter [...]

3. [...] Doughmesstic. I think mine look a bit of a mess compared to their magnificent efforts such as this, this and this. I get a bit daunted by the prospect of colouring loads of different shades of [...]

4. By Butterfly Catcher | Karen in the Kitchen on April 2, 2011 at 1:38 pm

[...] From sweetopia.com [...]

5. By March Is Here! | Coming to Bloom on March 1, 2013 at 10:55 pm

[...] Yes, holidays and Sabbats will become much more festive with her help. Here are the decorating tips, use your own cookie [...]