Dec 23

Decorated Christmas Cookies

bunny decorated cookie forest decorated cookies

Ideas for cookies can be found anywhere.  Ribbon and stickers are one of my favorite sources, but occasionally inspiration comes in an unusual form.

Like this decorative bucket:

trees on bucket inspiration for decorated cookies

These Christmas cookies were easy to make… simple shapes make decorating go so much faster!

triangle christmas tree easy christmas tree cookie

{Added note for those you who’ve emailed: The triangular Christmas tree cutter can be found here.}

green decorated tree cookie with disco dust

white sparkly decorated cookie tree

green and white polka dot decorated cookie tree_edited-1

decorated christmas tree cookie

As per usual, I couldn’t resist using Disco Dustto embellish the cookies with a little sweet bling, but I should mention again that although it’s labelled as non-toxic, it hasn’t been approved by the FDA as ‘edible’.  It’s used for decorative purposes.  Until recently I thought it would be like the gold flecks in Goldschlager, however those have actually been FDA approved.

Anyways, these trees are going to hang as Christmas tree decorations partly because of the disco dust and partly because they were sitting in cotton batting. (I just couldn’t resist setting them up like a winter wonderland scene!)

gift cookies wrapped with matching ribbon

Various polka dot ribbons were the starting point for these simple ‘gift box’ cookies.

dark green polka dot present

Finding matching boxes was like finding treasure (In my world!  lol).

white red green polka dots gift box cookies

striped green gift cookies

white red lime green polka dot gift box cookies

striped present cookies

Thought I’d break up the polka dots a bit.  :-)

striped gifts

Gift box cookies given in matching gift boxes.  (If only the lids would fit on now.  Hmmm…)

present cookies in boxes

merry christmas white striped and polka dot decorated cookies by giftbox

If you’d like some helpful hints on decorating cookies click here and for one of my favorite icing recipes click here.

Happy Baking and Happy Holidays to you!

christmas ribbon inspiration

1. December 23, 2009 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

These are so colorful, festive and PERFECT! Love ‘em!

2. Amanda
    December 23, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Where do you purchase all of your pretty ribbon? You have such a great assortment!

3. December 23, 2009 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

So beautiful, as always!

4. December 24, 2009 at 5:12 am | Permalink

Thanks Sue and Bridget :-)

Amanda, I found the ribbon and boxes at the craft store Michaels.

5. December 24, 2009 at 8:31 am | Permalink

looks sooo good! im very jealous of your talent! :p

6. judy
    December 24, 2009 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Beautiful cookies! I’ve been inspired by you and decided to decorate my gingerbread cookies this year. I would like to send you a couple of photos from P. Porchen’s cake class but I can’t seem to find your email address… when you have a chance send it to me and I’ll send you some photos.’

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

7. December 24, 2009 at 10:43 am | Permalink

beautiful!

8. December 24, 2009 at 11:46 am | Permalink

I am a bit obsessed with ribbon, but never thought to use it as inspiration for my cookie designs! Thanks for the great idea. I also love the disco dust. Hopefully they will eventually make some that is FDA approved because it is such a lovely touch!

9. December 24, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Beautiful! Merry Christmas!

10. December 24, 2009 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Adorable! Merry Christmas!

11. December 24, 2009 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

These cookies are works of art. How brilliant that you found those boxes and ribbons to match.

12. December 24, 2009 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Hello Marian,

as always, your cookies look wonderfull! I’m always laughing with you wanting to use the disco-dust. I just recently bought it and I must say now I know why you can’t resist it! Here in Belgium ‘bling and glitter’ is not that common and neither is cookie decorating. I must say I just love it, it’ s a girl thing I guess! And even Belgians will get used to it! lol
    I wish you and your family happy holidays!

Evelyn

13. December 25, 2009 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Judy, I’d love to see some pics!

Evelyn, It really is a problem (lol) – the disco dust thing. I’m going to try without some for the next little while. I just went out your site… Very cute! I’ll be checking it out for disco dust again. ;-)

Thanks for the comments and Christmas wishes everyone!

14. nikki
    December 25, 2009 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian
    Love how you customized the cookies to match the packaging! Just how bad is the disco dust… in the scheme of things really?! I presume you can eat it and you won’t keel over? It’s so gorgeous on the cookies.

15. December 25, 2009 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Adorable! Just adorable!!

16. December 26, 2009 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Once again, gorgeous! I shouldn’t be amazed at your talent anymore, Marian. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

17. December 26, 2009 at 9:49 am | Permalink

wow they looked really pretty. I like disco dust too! they look nice on butterfly and dragon fly wings.. :)

18. December 27, 2009 at 5:16 am | Permalink

They look perfect for christmas…lovely ideas …very impressed!! :)
    May all the joys of the season be yours… :)

19. December 27, 2009 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

So adorable! Love your source of inspiration and the cookies are just beautiful. Thanks so much for all of your wonderful photos too! Love visiting your blog!

20. December 27, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I love disco dust! I discovered it through your blog. I used a lot of it on my sugar cookies this year. I created quite a glitter mess. But I love glitter messes! I was wondering how food safe it really is………well I’m sure its not as bad as some things we eat. ;)

21. December 28, 2009 at 2:55 am | Permalink

Mar, you are pure genious!! I love theseee!!

22. December 28, 2009 at 7:01 am | Permalink

Those look amazing!!!! So adorable!

23. kristen
    December 30, 2009 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Hi Marian! Lovely cookies as always – you make it look so easy! One question: How do you apply your disco dust, keep it contained, and preserve the excess? I used some recently for Christmas cookies and it was all over the place, I found it difficult to “shake” on, and what didn’t land on the cookie was either on me or stuck to the countertop! I hate to waste any because it’s not cheap…but it’s soooo pretty. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! (and my apologies for the long comment :)

24. December 30, 2009 at 7:07 am | Permalink

Kristen; it definitely is a bit messy. :-)

My favorite way of using it is:

1) Begin by cutting a small piece of parchment paper to work over. Make a crease in it by folding the paper in half. Then lay the paper flat again.

2) Put the cookie on that parchment paper and gently shake the disco dust from the container onto the right area of the cookie.

The key is that the icing has to be wet – so I put the disco dust on right after I’ve piped the icing.

If you have a design where one part that needs disco dust and a part right beside that doesn’t, I apply in stages. Do the *non-disco dust area* first, and then when that’s totally dry, pipe the part you want disco dust on and add the disco dust.

(Can i say disco dust any more than i did in the last paragraph?! lol)

3) The other significant part is that I don’t shake off or dust off the excess until the icing has somewhat set or until it has completely dried (safer).

Gently lift your cookie, holding it over the parchment paper and disco dust container, and tilt it so that the excess disco dust falls back into the container.

4) Take a clean paintbrush only used for food and dust off the excess. – Especially around the edges.

5) The parchment paper catches much of the excess dust. Lift the edges of the paper together… all the dust pools in the crease of the paper, and pour the excess dust back into the container.

Shaking the paper gently also helps the dust fall into the crease.

Some is lost, however, I found that it’s the best way to presever most of the disco dust.

For smaller areas I dip a paintbrush only used for food, into the disco dust, and then lightly onto the icing.

There is one more way I’ve done it, but it’s not my favorite way. I’m working on a tutorial for this, so I’ll write about the second way then.

Hope that helps, but please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or questions if you have any.

Cheerio,

25. December 31, 2009 at 6:39 am | Permalink

Gorgeous! Love how inspiration can be found anywhere!!

26. December 15, 2010 at 8:09 am | Permalink

You are on a roll! Mine will be posted on Sunday! Love the disco dust.

27. November 4, 2012 at 3:18 am | Permalink

Hi Marian, I love all the things you do with glitter. I would like to try those and the glitter letters you’ve made but the only glitter I found is not edible but can be in contact with food. Could you please tell if you use edible glitter and if so what trade mark and where to find them ? Thank you so much for your help and for all the ideas and tutorials you share with us.