Nov 28

Gingerbread House Ideas

It’s become a tradition of mine to make a gingerbread house every Christmas season.  As usual, I turned to Teresa Layman’s books Gingerbread for All Seasons and Gingerbread: Things to Make and Bake for templates and inspiration.  This is what I ended up with:

ginger bread house gingerbread house 2009

Below is the back:

gingerbread house gingerbread man lollipop

fondant snowman for gingerbread house

The fondant snowman is all edible except for the toothpick as his nose.

ginger bread house icicles

To make the icicles, use a #2 piping tip and use flood icing.  For the recipe see here.

Begin at the roofline and pipe a enough of a bead of icing so that it adheres, then squeeze and pull.  Let go of the pressure when you’re happy with the length of the icicle and gently pull down.

gingerbread man flood work

gingerbread girl lollipop tree

I made the back and interior of the the house a bit more whimsical with royal icing ‘run-outs’ or ‘flood-work’.  {Basically royal icing piped on parchment paper or acetate paper.  If you’d like to use acetate paper, make sure you lightly coat it with shortening/lard}.

disco dust jube jubes

As usual, I couldn’t resist using disco dust.  These are supposed to be jube-jubes.

inside of gingerbread house christmas tree

inside of gingerbread house

The inside was pretty basic with a Christmas tree, candy gifts and some sticker-inspired flood work.

I seem to get a lot of questions regarding the trees every year.  They’re so simple to make!

undecorated ice cream cones for gingerbread house

Begin with ice cream cones of any size.  Various sizes look nice as well.  You can gently break your cones or stack them to make the ‘trees’ larger or smaller.

unfinished ice cream cone trees

You’ll need to use a thick or stiff icing for the trees.  I used Teresa Layman’s recipe.

Holding the cone by the tip, pipe stiff green ‘stars’ using a #18 tip.  Any star or leaf tip works really and you can pipe small, tight stars or larger, longer ones.  Whatever your preference.  Begin at the base, piping one row at a time, and work your way upwards until you almost reach the top.

Since you need a place to grip the cone, stop piping near the tip and let the icing dry.  Once it is firm, you can gently hold on to the bottom of the tree and finish the rest.  Voila!

ice cream cone tree for gingerbread house

This tree has a little bit of icing sugar dusted over it as well.

I did end up entering the house into my first competition.

Gingerbread House 2009 Competition

Every year our local museum holds a Gingerbread House Competition to raise money for Christmas Cheer - a charity for local families in need.

silver gingerbread award

I ended up with silver in the professional category, representing the school where I teach and Sweetopia.

winning gingerbread house cakes by design

First prize went to Cakes by Design with their adorable house and figurines.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to attend the award ceremony as I was in class with Peggy Porschen, but I was able to get a few shots of the other houses when I delivered my house.  I loved Whoville and so many of the unique ideas!

whoville gingerbread village

gingerbread house santas sleigh

cupcake castle gingerbread house

gingerbread cabin

Happy gingerbreading if you decide to make one this year!

December 19, 2011 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

@ Bella: I love it! You’re welcome to post a pic on my Facebook fan page if you’d like. I’d love to see it.
    So glad to hear from you!

• July 25, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Marain,
      I love all of your photos. I just put together a gingerbread activity cookbook which features a new way to put cookies together for a centerpiece. I stood the gingerbread “kids” in a circle, facing outward, all holding hands and then in the center I put a cookie tree in the middle. A nice big candle looks nice in the center and then this centerpiece looks so festive on the table. I would love to see people do variations on my design. I call it the TREE RING sculpture.

• September 8, 2014 at 2:56 am | Permalink

Good morning Marian,

I hope you are well.

Would you be so kind to email me (kiki@cstprop.co.za)the template for the beautiful Gingerbread House as I would like to make it .
      This would be really appreciated.

I look forward to your feedback.
      Kindest Regards
      Kiki

2. karli
    December 20, 2011 at 7:18 am | Permalink

How did you make the bushes on the window ledges?

3. December 20, 2011 at 9:53 am | Permalink

@ karli: I used little holly sprinkles and adhered them with royal icing, using tweezers.

4. December 20, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I absolutely love the houses!

5. gemma
    December 21, 2011 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

hey the houses look so kool!!! :) but how did you do the ledges on the doors!!???

6. December 21, 2011 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Hi@ gemma: Do you mean the holly sprinkles on the windows? Or do you mean the lines on the doors? Those were done before the dough was baked. I used a knife to ‘score’ the lines into the dough, and then baked it. Voila!

7. Kelsey
    December 29, 2011 at 8:47 am | Permalink

Hi, the gingerbread houses look so amazing, and I love how you did your trees! This is the first time on this site and I will SO visit it again:) Thank u!

8. claudia
    January 6, 2012 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Beautiful, what a nice custom to do. Is the house after the holidays still eatable??? Do the houses actually get to be eaten?

January 6, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks @ Kelsey. =)

@ claudia: Lol. So true, often times the houses are left uncovered for weeks, and the gingerbread gets hard and stale. Still okay if you dunk it in hot chocolate like I did as a child, but not the best I’m sure!

If you’d like to eat it, the best thing to do is to wrap it up in cellophane right after the icing has dried. Here’s a photo of houses wrapped up:

And whether or not they get eaten, well that’s up to the person who recieves them. =)

10. April 24, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

I can’t tell you how much I love looking at your gingerbread houses~ they are perfect! I am inspired to do another one this Christmas…in 8 months ;)

Thanks for sharing!!

11. Cathy
    May 14, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I know this is an old post but I am IN LOVE with the whoville gingerbread village. I want to try that one next christmas for my son. Please can you do a tutorial or tell me where you got the ideas I saw two books listed above.

12. jerrah revilles
    June 20, 2012 at 2:16 am | Permalink

Hi, can you send me a link for the templates? Your gingerbread house is one of a kind!

July 2, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Yay @ Holly! I’m looking forward to doing mine too! Let me know how yours goes. I’ve got a facebook page if you’d like to share there.

Hi @ Cathy: The books are what I used for my house, the Whoville is what I saw at the gingerbread house competition… so I’m not sure what they used to help them. (I’m guessing the illustrations, as I have almost every gingerbread book out there, haha, and have never seen that in a book).

@ jerrah revilles: I wish I could send them to you, but they are from the books I have listed in the post. (copyright issues for me to share).

14. Maggie Lynch
    October 17, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

What a lovely webpage! I was looking for some gingerbread house ideas for young adults to make. From the first time my mother read Hansel and Gretel I LOVED gingerbread houses! We love gingerbreading at Christmas time too! Every year my kids and grandkids do a project together…one year we did a small town in gingerbread, one year we did the north pole complete with a stable for the reindeer…We have done Noah’s Ark and a beautiful Nativity. I let the grandkids pick out any animal they wanted for the Nativity…We had farm animals, zoo animals, jungle animals and our granddaughter insisted on a dinosaur! It was the sweetest Nativity we had ever done! Keep up the beautiful work and keep gingerbreading! We are all children at Christmas!

October 17, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

That’s wonderful, @ Maggie Lynch: I can imagine how special each one you’ve made is! They take on a personality somehow, and just the experience of making them is magical. I’d love to see pics some time if you’d like to share them on my facebook page.
    xo

16. Ismini Jones
    October 29, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Hi Marian

I absolutely LOVE your cake and really want to copy it this Christmas. It will be my very first gingerbread anything to be honest so I wanted to know how long did it take to make? And secondly was your exact cake in the 2 books you mentioned above?

Looking forward to hearing from you
    X X X

17. November 5, 2012 at 10:18 am | Permalink

GOOD DAY,

We have just launched new and exciting website http://www.gingerbread-house-patterns.com/.
    We have reviewed your website and we were wondering if you guys are offering back links & advertising options.

We also have some great articles and photos you can use for free in exchange for a simple text link.

We look forward to hear from you,

The Gingerbread House Patterns Team

18. Natalie
    November 7, 2012 at 1:18 am | Permalink

know it is an old post but I have onequestion. What did you use to make the roof?

19. Janet Golden
    November 12, 2012 at 6:14 am | Permalink

Hi, Marian,
    It’s incredible what you’ve done with flour, sugar, eggs, etc. I would love to know what you made you get so interested in decorating cookies.
    (I hope you see my post.)
    I have tried to find boxes like the ones you used to stack your edible image cookies in for giving away. http://sweetopia.net/2011/10/halloween-edible-image-cookies/Please let me know where you bought those. I’ve been all over the web trying to find them.
    Again, thank you for freely sharing your knowledge and talent with the rest of us. I know it takes time to answer questions, post tutorials, and the photos! It’s all just great.
    I’m wishing you a Merry Christmas in 2012!
    Janet

20. Christopher Vining
    November 12, 2012 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Do you have a tempalet for the ginger bread houses?

21. Liv
    November 13, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Hi! This house is amazing! What were the demensions of gingerbread walls? And what is the roof tiling made of? Thank you!

22. November 20, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

@ Bella:
    oh really send a cake for me too on cristmas
    @ Bella:

23. Lucy
    November 22, 2012 at 2:17 am | Permalink

Did you buy the little logs??????

24. Charlene
    November 23, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

hiya Marian, I love this version of the gingerbread house. This is my first time making one, and I have already made my own version for the patterns but what did you use for the roof? Is it cereals? Lovely work as usual xx

November 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Ismini Jones:
    Gosh, I’m not sure exactly how long this one took anymore. Longer than a whimsical simpler one, of course. I’m guessing about 24 hours in total. And yes, the exact pattern is in the book, Gingerbread for All Seasons. I just changed the decorations a bit.

Cereal, @ Natalie. I’m sorry I can’t remember the name anymore, but check your cereal aisle.

Hi @ Janet Golden: Thanks for your interest and for your nice comments! I explain a little bit of my journey into the ‘land of sweets’ on my About page (you can find that from the home page sweetopia.net).

I’m not sure what boxes you mean as the halloween post you showed as an example didn’t have boxes, but if you mean the Vintage Edible Image Cookies which were in boxes with a clear top, I believe I got them from here http://www.creativebag.com/boxes/food-boxes-and-containers It was a few years ago though.
    Wishing you a Merry Christmas 2012 too!

@ Christopher Vining, @ Liv: The template is in the book I link to in the post, Gingerbread for All Seasons. I can’t share due to copyright.

@ Charlene: The roof tiling is made of cereal. (not sure of name but it should be in your local grocery store cereal aisle).

@ Lucy: The little logs are thicker pretzels from a store around here called Bulk Barn. I just cut them into smaller pieces.

26. Vilde
    November 26, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Hi! That was one of the cutest gingerbread houses I’ve ever seen! Good job :-D But I was wondering, do you cut out the different parts after the gingerbread is baked, or do you cut the parts out first and then bake them?

27. Calli
    November 28, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

This house is so cute! I was just wondering, how did you make the little light by the front door? It looks like a lemon drop lined with black frosting, but there’s a little hooking holding it to the side of the house. Is the light attached with fondant or royal icing?

28. November 28, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Vilde: I usually use a pizza wheel or paring knife and cut out the dough pieces, and then bake them.

That’s right, @ Calli, it’s a lemon drop with black lines piped on it. The little detail below I piped separately (it’s a royal icing transfer… Glossary here; http://sweetopia.net/glossary/ ). Once it was dry, I added it under the lemon drop with royal icing. (and the lemon drop is also attached with thick royal icing).

29. Kaitlin
    December 3, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Okay I have to know… How did you do the little light beside the front door?

December 4, 2012 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Absolutley, @ Kaitlin! I explained it in the comment above yours.

31. December 5, 2012 at 5:59 am | Permalink

Mariam, I actually liked your house the best in all the pictures above.
    I think your work (even cookies) has a certain clean and elegant finish to it. All your work is absolutely professional. I love your cookies and only wish I had the patience. I do cookies as part of my business and it’s an effort but I specialize in cakes. I would rather do a cake anytime.
    Thanks for sharing your tutorials, they are very helpful.
    Veena

32. Bianca
    December 7, 2012 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Hello,
    I was amazed about how you made that fantastic gingerbread house, I was just wondering how you made the chimney. Is it fondant decorated with royal icing or else?
    Thanks a lot and Merry Christmas.

Bianca from Italy

33. December 7, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Aw, so sweet, @ Veena Azmamov, thank you!

@ Bianca: It’s gingerbread dyed pink, then scored chimney lines and then baked.

34. December 13, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

ok, this gingerbread house is just amazing! it looks amazing and reeeeally yummy! I wish I could do something like this!

A kiss from Spain!

Laura

35. December 21, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Hello, your house is beautiful! I saw it and I decided to try to make a gingerbread house for my first time. The result is not so perfect like yours, but I’m satisfied! I love it. Thank a lot!:-) Merry Christmas.
    If you would have a look you can find photos on my blog! ciao!:-)

36. Minh Barrow
    December 28, 2012 at 4:22 am | Permalink

Marian,

I have never seen a gingerbread house as beautiful. Thank you for posting.

Could you please tell me what did you use for the roof on the very first gingerbread house up here? Look like a real roof. Beautiful. I have been looking for something like that I couldn’t find one.

Thank you for taking your time responding.

37. Maria Antonietta
    December 29, 2012 at 5:54 am | Permalink

wwwooooowwww it’s absolute a great masterpice….it’s a big home very nice,and the decoration are so’ lovely ..

December 29, 2012 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

@ Laura, @ Maria Luisa, @ Maria Antonietta: Thanks so much, your comments mean so much to me

@ Minh Barrow: Sure, they are cereal… called Shreddies.

39. Sophie
    January 23, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Hi, this looks AMAZING i would love to make it for this year. Is there any chance i could have the recipe. If you can thanks alot, if not then no worries.

40. April 7, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Dear Marianne,
    congratulations, yuo are the best.Please, I have read here and saw your videos in you tube but I can not find your recipe for gingerbread houses,please dear,I really would like to do it for Christmas ,because the last year I made one but it got very hard ( I am soory for my basic English).Iwill be very grateful if you answer me with the recipe.I use my husband e-mail because I have not one.God bless you.I suposse you already know, but a secret a friend of mine gave me for macarons is to let the white eggs uncovered in the fridge for two days and then using them.
    Thanks a lot for your generosity.
    A big hugg from the last country of the map
    Norma Josefina Madrid de Apaz

41. April 7, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Dear Marianne, I do not know if my request was sended,my grandchilds,even the youngest handle the PC in a way I never will,please,dear, I wrote a moment ago in order of beging you the recipe of gingerbread houses,but I do not know to use the PC properly, just in case you have not receive it,I ask you again for it.The last year I made one but the dough was very hard.
    You are the best.God bless you.
    Thanks a lot
    I used my husband e-mail and his website because I have not one.Thanks again and again and congratulations.
    Norma Madrid de Apaz

42. April 13, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

HI @ Sophie and @ norma josefina madrid: Yes, the recipe is in my recipe section (top of blog) under the cookie section. (You can look there if you’d like to see other cookie recipes). To make it easy for you, here it is:

Have fun baking! xo

43. Rosi
    November 13, 2013 at 4:00 am | Permalink

Hi Marian

I am currently studying to be a pastry chef, and our next assignment is to make a gingerbread house. I have searched and searched the internet and LOVE your one the most (the top one on this page). Is there any chance you could provide the template for this gingerbread house? I have tried to piece together other templates to replicate this house but its not really working out.

I would be so grateful if you could share this template with me, it is simply beautiful :)

Rosi

November 13, 2013 at 8:23 am | Permalink

Hi Rosi!
      What a great profession to go into!
      Thanks for your compliment! I can’t take the credit for the house design though – the template is by Teresa Layman, from the book Gingerbread for All Seasons (the link to the book is in the post above). I can’t share them because it would be a copyright infringement, sorry!

44. November 23, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

C’è tanta confusione su ciò che di branding significa in realtà che la
    maggior parte delle persone che provarlo finisce per sprecare
    il denaro sufficiente per alimentare un piccolo paese .
    E ‘un riassunto di tutte le buone cose che noi associamo con la stagione delle feste .

Questo includerà cose come luci e modellini giocattolo , forse una caricatura di Babbo
    Natale che può essere posizionato su qualsiasi piattaforma disponibile casa tetto , o forse un modello a grandezza naturale di una renna coperto
    di lampeggiante LED .

45. Jess
    December 10, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

This is my 3 year old and my favorite gingerbread house ever (and we just looked through every house on google images – lol!). You should have gotten first place!

January 2, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Oh that’s so cute that your 3 year old was looking with you! Thanks for your kind comment!

46. Valerie
    December 11, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Where did you find the templates? I love the house! I want to make one for my son’s birthday this year. :)

January 2, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Hi Valerie,
      Most are from my favorite gingerbread house author, Teresa Layman.

47. susan
    December 14, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Very impressive!
    I am working on my first gingerbread house and was looking for ideas and came across yours. Really fantastic job. I agree with the other poster, you should have gotten first prize in my opinion!

48. Sheri
    November 6, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

I like to do gingerbread too. Two yrs ago I made a large house, large church and also a village which included a clock tower and street lights. I made the lights by wrapping a pretzel stick with fondant and topping it with a gumball light. I was wondering how u made your porch light on ur house. It’s really cool.

• November 14, 2014 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Hi Sheri,
      I used a yellow candy and piped black icing on it for details. Once the details were dry I attached it to the house, simple as that! Have fun decorating!

49. November 14, 2014 at 10:45 am | Permalink

How do you get the houses to stay up right and not fall?

50. Ali
    December 19, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Hi there~
    I am stunned by how amazing your house looks! (And, totally not brown-nosing, but unless the first prize house had a fully decorated interior complete with stairs, that gold should’ve been yours.)^_^ Again, very impressed!

1. By Gingerbread house | simplyNabiki on November 30, 2009 at 6:39 am

[...] The details are so amazing… If you want to see more pictures and also explanations on how to do it, run visit her blog here: Sweetopia [...]

2. By La casetta di pan di zenzero | simplyNabiki on November 30, 2009 at 6:41 am

[...] Se volete vedere più immagini e trovare anche le istruzioni per preparare una bellissima casetta come questa, collegatevi al suo blog: Sweetopia [...]

3. [...] more inspiration, visit the Sweetopia blog post, Gingerbread House Ideas, or for a small-scale, kid-friendly gingerbread house craft, visit Kaboose. Even the experts at [...]

4. By uberVU - social comments on December 3, 2009 at 7:19 am

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by nikolina100: wow!! http://www.sweetopia.net/2009/11/gingerbread-house-ideas/

5. By Gingerbread Houses Galore « Paper Glue Etc. on December 6, 2009 at 6:43 am

[...] great stuff here, did you know you can buy blue prints for your gingerbread house?  Check out Sweetopia she has a great house and tons of pictures like the ones [...]

6. [...] gingerbread train. For more ideas, take a look at the Dutch gingerbread house at Bake My Day, the gingerbread house at Sweetopia, and the gingerbread at Under the High Chair. If you prefer your gingerbread to look [...]

7. [...] one of my fellow twitter-ers or twitter-ees (not sure what the proper grammar would be) blogs. Marian, from Sweetopia is amazing! You must see the gingerbread house she made this year. Here’s a sneak peak at the [...]

8. [...] these sticker-inspired gingerbread people were originally intended for a gingerbread house I made, but I had extra which I didn’t use, they aren’t the right size.  They’d [...]

9. By Gingerbread Igloo « 17 and Baking on December 23, 2009 at 12:03 am

[...] part. You simply pipe very extended stars on to ice cream cones. You can see the full steps on Sweetopia, the blog of the very creative and talented [...]

10. [...] that I guarantee is pretty impressive when done completely. Check out Gingerbread House Heaven and Sweetopia that have some very impressive Gingerbread Houses on display. Even celebrities are getting in on [...]

11. By Christmas in JulySweet Tooth Secrets on July 25, 2010 at 9:36 pm

[...] my crazy mind went crazy. It does that. Insane ideas when I have no time for them. Inspired by this Sweetopia post  on gingerbread house ideas and the ice cream cone trees, I thought of stuffing the decorated trees with ice cream to combine a [...]

12. By Squillace's Bee Hive - Gingerbread Houses on December 15, 2010 at 9:32 pm
  13. By Amazing Cookies And Cupcakes | Yappiee on September 21, 2011 at 5:13 am

[...] Gingerbread House Ideas [...]

14. By Baking for Haiti | Sweetopia on November 2, 2011 at 7:05 pm

[...] Two days on lunches this week we sold cupcakes and chocoloate chip cookies.  The students made the cupcakes and icing in class, and I contributed some leftover flower and flood work icing bird toppers I had from a cake decorating class (more on that later), and my Christmas gingerbread house. [...]

15. By 10+ Gingerbread Houses « Lil' Luna on November 25, 2011 at 1:41 am

[...] Party Ideas} {Pinterest} {Flickr} {Pinterest} {Flickr} {Pinterest} {Martha} {My Diverse Kitchen} {Sweetopia} {Zinke} {Martha} Now, do you have any Christmas Traditions?I’d love to hear what you do!! [...]

16. [...] A nice traditional house with some great detail work [...]

17. By Gingerbread Houses on December 14, 2011 at 12:55 am

18. By making Christmas merry » So Pupuka on December 15, 2011 at 10:17 pm

[...] Build a ginger bread house / image credit: sweetopia [...]

19. By Whoville Gingerbread House « on September 27, 2012 at 5:01 pm

[...] family was going to do their own version of “Whoville”.  Lucky for them, I found a gingerbread Whoville on Sweetopia’s site, it is too [...]

20. By A Gingerbread House Maven | Candy Blog on November 27, 2012 at 9:46 pm

[...] more tips, check out Marian’s blog post Gingerbread House Ideas and video Making a Gingerbread House. var a2a_config = a2a_config || {}; [...]

21. By Pepparkakshus-inspiration | FridaSofia on December 9, 2012 at 7:24 am

[...] ut är några fina bilder från Sweetopia, och det finns många fler [...]

22. [...] sure to check out Sweetopia.net for more gingerbread ideas, here are a few of our favorite [...]

23. By Tutorial – gingerbreadhouse | tarttokig on December 19, 2013 at 10:28 am

[...] Add snow and hanging icicles along the bottom of the roof. There’s a tutorial for it in this post by sweetopia! Also pipe zigzags like in the [...]

24. [...] to make trees! A little green icing and some powdered sugar are all you need (so simple right?) Ice cream cone [...]

25. [...] love the details on this house!  That snowman, the stack of wood and the trees!  [...]

26. By Christmas Gingerbread House Ideas | Sweetopia on December 7, 2014 at 11:04 pm

[...] Gingerbread House Ideas [...]