Sep 03

How to make edible glue

edible glue

There are various types of edible glue; such as royal icing, gum paste/water mixture, melted chocoloate, piping gel etc.  Which glue you choose depends on each individual project.  I would use royal icing to fasten the pieces of a gingerbread house together, for example, as it tends to be a strong adhesive.

My favourite type of sweet glue is made with tylose powder.

I’ve adapted the following tylose glue recipe from Bonnie Gordon’s School of Cake Decorating and Design . (Smaller quantity).

edible glue1

Ingredients/Equipment used to make edible glue:

1. 1/4 tsp tylose powder
  2. 2 Tbs warm water
  3. paintbrush
  4. small bowl or container
  5. fork

Instructions on how to make edible glue:

1. Put 1/4 tsp of tylose powder in a small bowl or container.
  2. Add 2 Tbs of warm water and stir with a fork to break up the Tylose lumps the best  you can.  (The mixture will look lumpy; this is normal).
  3. Cover and put it in the fridge overnight.
  4. When it has set, the glue should have a syrupy consistency.  If it’s too thick, add water or too thin, add more tylose powder.
  5. Use a paintbrush to apply the glue for precision.

When the glue is ready, it will be transparent.  It’s for this main reason that I prefer tylose edible glue for most of my projects…  It’s much easier to see mistakes with royal icing ‘glue’ than it is with this recipe!

Happy glueing!!

1. Haniela
    September 3, 2009 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Thank you for sharing your tips.

2. September 21, 2009 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Edible glue? I hadn’t realized that there is such a thing! This really is a uniquely informative site.

3. mee
    November 17, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

can i eat the glue

November 18, 2010 at 12:58 am | Permalink

Giggle, yes, that’s why it’s called edible glue.

4. Rachel
    January 20, 2011 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

5. Ariana
    March 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian, I was wondering, how long will this glue last for? And does it need to be refrigerated? Thanks!

6. Lori
    March 31, 2011 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Hi there,
    I’m wondering the same. How long will the glue last for? Could I store it in the fridge for my next project?

March 31, 2011 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Hi Lori, It lasts indefinitely as long as it’s properly sealed and yes you can store it in the fridge for your next project.
      Have fun decorating!

7. Jenny
    October 26, 2011 at 12:27 am | Permalink

Would this glue work on skin or fabric? I am looking for edible glue for a costume.

Thank you.

8. October 26, 2011 at 5:39 am | Permalink

@ Jenny: I don’t think it would be strong enough, sorry! =(
    Would love to know what your costume is if you care to share. =)

9. October 28, 2011 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Hi Marian I am wondering if you have any glue that you dont have to put it in the fridge overnight? If not do you know of any one or any website that does? THANKS!!!

10. October 28, 2011 at 11:28 am | Permalink

@ Abby: Depending on what you need it for, (how strong you need it to be), you could use other substitutes like royal icing (a thick RI is pretty strong), or even a gum paste and water mixture (a little bit of water mixed with gum paste). Good luck!

11. Erika Medina
    December 14, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

hello! i was looking for this thanks u so much just two questions
    how quick it dry? I need glue a lot of snowflakes to a wedding cake,
    and can I use tragacanth gum insteand of tylose?
    thanks so much

12. January 6, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

thanks you so much. this will help me with my school invention.It means a lot to have all the ingredints right there. thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Melanie
    December 24, 2012 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Can you flavor the glue? I’d love to make a gingerbread house with flavored glue to add a little extra taste for the kids!

14. Steve
    December 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

@ Melanie:
    Yeah if I eat a bunch of pineapple a couple of hours before, we can make it taste like pineapple. For the kids.

15. Robyne
    December 25, 2012 at 2:14 am | Permalink

Hi. I’m wanting to make seed balls for my birds (cockateils) as they are so expensive.
    Any ideas on an edible glue gor this? Thanks

16. January 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

i loved it and thank you for sharing your recipe.

17. Angie
    January 14, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

can you use this glue for sticking sweets onto styrofoam balls which will be covered with tissue paper?

18. JR
    May 13, 2013 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

I am making a center pice out of gumballs there about 1/2 in round. Is this glue strong enough to hold a lot of them.

May 13, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Would honey work @ Robyne?

Thanks, @ raleigh.

@ Angie, @ JR: I don’t think it’s strong enough, sorry.

20. May 25, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

HI MARIAN,LOVE YOUR WORK.WOULD THIS EDIBLE GLUE BE SUITALE TO STICK SUGARPASTE TO COOKIES.THANK YOU

21. May 25, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

URANIA wrote:

@ URANIA:

22. May 25, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Hi @ URANIA: I like this edible glue for delicate work, but I now actually really just simply using royal icing to stick sugarpaste to cookies. Have fun decorating!

23. carissa
    July 13, 2013 at 1:46 am | Permalink

I need to glue gumpaste roses to a wedding cake but I cant do it till I get where i am dropping it off. will the tylose glue dry fast enough and how good will it hold the weight of the roses?

• July 13, 2013 at 7:37 am | Permalink

I would try a really thick royal icing, or use floral wire attached to your rose to insert into the cake. They would have to be removed before serving, of course. Hope that helps!

24. owen
    August 21, 2013 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

i have invented a recipe that i call deli meat sushi and basically its sushi with rice and everything and chicken in the middle but instead of it being rolled in sea weed its rolled in deli meat. unfortunately sometime they fall apart because, does this glue have a taste because if its sweet it wont work with this i need something sticky that has no taste…

November 12, 2013 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Sorry for the delay owen – have you tried it yet?

25. lorraine johnston
    October 8, 2013 at 2:14 am | Permalink

Hello Marion. I want to make a jelly sweet tree, I have already made marshmallows, chocolate etc but am stumped at how to stick on jelly sweets. I really do not want to use cocktail sticks, I think they are so dangerous. Any ideas?

November 12, 2013 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Hi Lorraine, I think royal icing would be a stronger bond for that. Let me know how it goes!

26. keziah
    October 30, 2013 at 4:44 am | Permalink

hi
    i was wondering if edible glue would work to stick marshmallows on to fabric??

November 12, 2013 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Hi keziah, I don’t think it would be strong enough, but, I’m not sure on that one, sorry!

27. Adriana
    November 12, 2013 at 5:08 am | Permalink

Hey Marian, I was wondering if you can tell me where to purchase this Tylose powder, I was wondering if I can get it at Michaels Arts and Craft store? If not, where else would I find it? Thank You =)

November 12, 2013 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Hi Adriana,
      Under the ingredients list, you will see the word tylose in pink. That’s a link to where I buy it on amazon.

28. cian
    December 8, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

hi marian, what would be the best edible food glue to use for glueing lettuce leaves together? the glue would need to be tasteless and clear in colour….thanks so much for any help you can give me!!! ;-) ))

January 3, 2014 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Hi Cian,
      I’ve never tried it but I think this glue should work.

29. gaby
    January 3, 2014 at 1:48 am | Permalink

hi!!! I’m trying to do elmo and cookie monster marshmallow pops but im having trouble with gluing arms and legs what kind of strong glue can I use for this? and is melted chocolate one of them?

January 3, 2014 at 9:05 am | Permalink

Hi Gaby,
      Yes, I think people use melted chocolate quite a bit. I haven’t made many of them, so maybe you’d like to chat with Niner Bakes, who makes them a lot.

30. heila
    January 28, 2014 at 5:53 am | Permalink

hi , i am making cone clowns, and need to stick the smarties en jellytots on the cones, asw ell as the biscuit and marshmaoolows, you are talking about icing. how much icing and how much water do i use to make this kind of glue?

31. Briana
    March 30, 2014 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Hi!

I’m setting up a “Guess how many Jellybeans are in this container” type contest and I wanted to “glue” a little design (outline of a cat) on the inside of the container. I would then pack the remaining Jellybeans in the rest of the container space.

Would this glue be able to hold the Jellybeans to the plastic – at least until the other Jellybeans are added? (which will help support the design).

I was thinking about using royal icing, but I was looking for something more translucent.
    Thanks!

32. Sandra Starkey
    April 7, 2014 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Wear can I get the tylose powder

33. bill fitzpatrick
    August 28, 2014 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

I am looking for an edible glue of some sort that I can apply to the rim of baked WHOLE WHEAT POCKET bread so it doesn’t fall apart when you try to stuff sandwich fixings into it. For some reason pocket bread bakers (Oroweat is a good example) can’t make their WHOLE WHEAT POCKET bread perform as I know it should.

Any ideas?

1. By How to make gum paste daisies | Sweetopia on November 12, 2011 at 3:03 pm

[...] edible glue (tylose powder & water – tutorial found here) [...]

2. [...] The lace around the liners is adhered with edible glue. [...]

3. [...] You could use water to adhere the fondant pieces together, however, to make sure everything really stayed together I used edible glue. [...]