Mar 28

Gingerbread Woodcutter’s Cabin

Gingerbread House - Woodcutter's Cabin by you.

I made this gingerbread ‘woodcutter’s cabin’ this past winter.  (Hurray, I can actually refer to winter as a thing of the past now!)  The design is completely from Teresa Layman’s book, Gingerbread: Things to Make and Bake.

This isn’t the first gingerbread house I’ve made, but Teresa was definitely the main inspiration of my gingerbread house making obsession. About 7ish years I ago I decided to try my hand at my first one, and hers was the book I stumbled accross and bought. She describes steps in meticulous detail… She doesn’t leave a stone unturned in terms of explaining things! Not only that, her designs are so pretty and charming. I love her stuff so much I actually contacted her and chatted with her on the phone. She’s such a sweet person. In our conversation I asked if she would be doing any more books on gingerbreading, besides the two she already has published, and unfortunately her publisher told her that there were enough books on gingerbread in the stores. I contacted her publisher and put a request in. Alas, that was about 3 years ago now. (I know, I am crazy aren’t I!? When I like something I really go for it). In my opinion, hers are the best gingerbreading books out there.

This gingerbread house has a few non-edible elements included with it.  The chimney has cotton balls for smoke, two dollhouse sugar bags in front of the cabin, and lace on the inside for curtains.  You can’t see it, but I also like to put a tealight inside each house.  If we don’t eat it, I can insert a long matchstick through the windows and light the candle at night.  (It just can’t be on too long… no ventilation).

1. Cindy
    April 5, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Wow that is truly amazing… I want to try my hand at making a gingerbread house, it just seems so daunting….I’m going to look for this book and see if I can get brave enough. LOL

2. April 13, 2009 at 4:37 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh. I am just amazed by your work. My kids and I make a gingerbread house every year, and now you’ve inspired me for next year. I can’t wait to share your photos with my kids!
    Michelle

3. April 13, 2009 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks for you compliments Cindy and Michelle! It’s really not very hard when you have good instructions… that and a little bit of time. xD I don’t know about you, but it’s one of my favorite things about Christmas preparations. Can’t wait to see yours too!

4. April 23, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

I’ve no words…You ‘re a WONDERFUL artist!!!!!!!! (sorry for my bad English!)

5. July 28, 2009 at 6:01 am | Permalink

awesome! I wanna make one for xmas hahaha :)
    hope I am as good as you ^_^*

6. babskitchen
    September 8, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Gotta check out the book. This house is adorable. I’ve been wanting to try to make one but have never worked up the nerve. I think your house would do really well in a gingerbread house contest they have each year between T-giving and Christmas at the Cleveland Botanical Center. Don’t ask me why they hold it at a Botanical Center, but they do. If I can find some of my photos from last year, I’ll send them to you.

7. September 8, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the comments cloudystella and Mona!
    Babskitchen, I’d love to see your gingerbread house pics!!

8. Denise
    November 21, 2009 at 2:42 am | Permalink

It is beautiful! Did you use her gingerbread recipe?

9. November 21, 2009 at 3:51 am | Permalink

Yes I did. :-)

10. jeanie
    November 25, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

You did a great job on all of your houses! I have Teresa’s books too and have made the Christmas cottage and the Gepetto’s Toys. I am gearing up for the Victorian Farmhouse this year! I have looked at the pictures so many times and am amazed at her talent. I wish she would do another book too!

11. December 1, 2009 at 9:11 am | Permalink

I love the icicles! The details are amazing!

12. December 2, 2009 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

oh my gosh, that is too cute!

13. December 4, 2009 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

love the lighting.. it felt like a winter day in a sugar wonderland!

14. December 11, 2009 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

oh my gosh!!!that is one of the coolest gingerbread houses i have ever seen!i love the whole wood cabin thing.that definitely gives me some great inspirations and ideas for ours!5 stars!!!;)

15. March 30, 2010 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Love this! I’m hoping to try my hand at a gingerbread house competition this upcoming winter and these are definitely inspirational!

May 8, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks for commenting and happy gingerbreading!

17. Jillian_R
    November 1, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

I love those frosting icicles!

18. November 25, 2013 at 1:48 am | Permalink

I’ve been browsing online more than 3 hours today,
    yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It’s pretty
    worth enough for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers
    made good content as you did, the internet will be much more useful than ever before.

1. By Halloween Gingerbread House | Sweetopia on December 17, 2011 at 11:03 am

[...] Back to Teresa… I’ve even written to her and ended up chatting with her on the phone.  If you’re interested you can read about that post right here. [...]

2. By Christmas Gingerbread House Ideas | Sweetopia on November 1, 2013 at 6:18 am

[...] Gingerbread House Woodcutter’s Cabin [...]