Mar 29

Butterfly Cookies

blog-butterflies-1024x754

Made these butterfly cookies for my friend Samantha’s wedding this past fall.   She had incorporated butterflies in her decorating scheme and wanted them to be very brightly colored.  They are gingerbread cookies decorated with the flood royal icing recipe from Peggy Porschen’s book Romantic Cakes, and dusted with non-toxic disco dust. Many people didn’t end up eating them at the wedding, but for those that did, they told me they were the best tasting gingerbread cookies they’d ever had! Not grandma’s secrets this time… Thanks Peggy for sharing your delicious recipe! (I used the one from her book Pretty Party Cakes).

For a ‘how to’ on making these butterfly cookies click on my cookie decorating tutorial – general tips and butterfly cookies here.

Butterfly Cookies ready to go

1. Lisa Fowler
    May 3, 2009 at 11:51 am | Permalink

:love: your cookies are so beautiful!!!!
    i was wondering were can you buy dico dust???
    or were did you buy yours!
    thanks a lot
    =] Lisa

2. May 3, 2009 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks for your compliment Lisa! You can buy disco dust at this link
    Non-Toxic Disco Color – White Hologram (Fairy Dust)
    Have fun creating!

3. Lisa Fowler
    May 5, 2009 at 8:04 am | Permalink

Thanks alot! Also i tried your butterfly cookies how you went in with the black and did the little swirls on the wings mine didnt turn out as good as yours.. need a little more practice but yours are perfect I havent seen anybody do them that way great idea!

4. August 28, 2009 at 7:26 am | Permalink

Thanks Lisa!

May 8, 2010 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

p.s. For those who live near Toronto; just found out that you can buy disco dust at the Bonnie Gordon Cake School.

6. Sam
    September 3, 2011 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Your work is incredible. I am a novice to cookie making but have a real fascination. How can I learn to make this incredible icing work?Might you suggest a book?

7. September 3, 2011 at 5:24 pm | Permalink
  8. March 17, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

do you make these for parties. i would love to order some decorated just like this but in shortbread for a birthday party. please let me know!

alli

March 17, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

Hi @ alli sims: No, sorry, I’m not able to do orders (no time), buuut the talented ladies in my decorator directory do. (right hand side of blog, you’ll see a ‘sign’… want to order cookies?…)