I can imagine you’re knee-deep in your Christmas preparations, so I’ll keep this post brief and just quickly share with you my favorite food paste or gel colorings for creating red, green and brown icing, three main colors you’ll likely need for holiday cookies.
Favorite Red Gel Colors
You’ll need LOTS of red gel coloring to color royal icing red. Here is a post on how I do that. My absolute favorite shade right now is this Rainbow Dust Strawberry. It’s such a pretty red, but does need a bit of Wilton Red Red and Americolor Red Red to deepen it into a Christmassy red. (Please note some of these links are Amazon affiliate links).
Favorite Green Gel Colors
Favorite Brown Gel Colors
I have three favorite brown food gel colorings – Americolor Chocolate Brown and Wilton brown if I’m trying to achieve a warmer shade (Americolor is slightly warmer than Wilton), and for a cooler brown I like Rainbow Dust Brown. I’ll mix the shades together to get variations of brown.
- I always color my white icing, white. It gives a brighter look and helps prevent bleeding. I don’t have a favorite white gel coloring brand, I’ve tried various brands and they all work well, however I’m finding that I now go for how it’s packaged. A squeeze bottle is always best, white coloring is messier than all the other colors as it’s generally more of a liquid rather than a paste or gel.
- In case you’re interested, here’s a post on coloring icing black.
- Thanks Bon! Farine Makiko Ikeda for the adorable jacket cutter, to My Cute Doodles for the bear and deer designs and to Miss Kate Cuttables for the poinsettia and skate designs! You can find most of the cutters through the links below:
- If you’re looking for cookie recipes, here are the ones I use.
- Here is my royal icing recipe.
- You can find my complete guide to royal icing and cut out cookies in my shop here.
- This video on outlining and flooding is a good place to start if you’re new to decorating cookies with royal icing. These cookie decorating basics YouTube videos may also be helpful to get you started.
- Here are some tips on decorating with royal icing.
- If you’d like tips on making your icing look puffy, I have a digital download on that here.
Please forgive me for all the photos! I’m still learning lots about photography and was playing around a bit. No need to scroll through all of them of course.
Wishing you a beary Merry Christmas!