Silly and sweet gingerbread men grins atop maple syrupy goodness… I couldn’t resist sharing with you this early Holiday treat.
If you’re looking for a unique and delicious cupcake recipe, these maple syrup cupcakes topped with maple sugar frosting are perfect for Christmas (or any time!).
Dressed up with gingerbread cookie men or casually frosted – no matter how you serve them, they’re definite crowd pleasers.
Maple Syrup Cupcake Recipe
- 2 2/3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 7 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup maple syrup* (real maple syrup recommended)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter for about 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally.
- Gradually add brown sugar, creaming after each addition. Set mixture aside.
- Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored.
- Add to the creamed mixture in thirds, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Blend milk and maple syrup together.
- Beating only until smooth after each addition, alternately add the dry ingredients and liquids to the creamed mixture.
- Beat only until smooth and fill cupcake liners using an ice cream scoop.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cool, frost cupcakes.
The cupcake liners are from The TomKat Studio’s shop. Check them out here.
Maple Sugar Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed maple sugar (*If maple sugar is only available in solid form, grate using a fine grater, before using).
- 1 cup sour cream
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan, and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Put candy thermometer in place and continue cooking without stirring. During cooking wash, sugar crystals from sides of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water. Cook until mixture reaches 238 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove pan to cooling rack and cool to lukewarm (about 110 degrees Fahrenheit), without stirring or moving the pan.
- Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until mixture begins to lose its gloss and is of spreading consistency. Ice cupcakes. If frosting becomes too thick, beat in a few drops of cream or milk.