Oct 20

(Video) How to Decorate Hedgehog (or Porcupine) Cookies

video-tutorial-chocolate-hedgehog-cookies-_-sweetopia

Video Tutorial on How to Decorate Hedgehog Cookies (or Porcupine Cookies)

Rarely do I make the same cookie design twice. Making cookies mainly for family and friends and allows me this freedom, but once in a while I come upon a set that I can’t resist decorating again. Such was the case with these hedgehog (or porcupine, really) cookies. I made them a few years ago and then last week for Margaret of Blue Sugar Cookie Co. for a great cause. (Thank you Margaret!).

video-how-to-decorate-hedgehog-cookies-_-sweetopia

There’s something simply adorable about these guys, and let me tell you, the chocolate sprinkles I used on them taste so delicious! They’re the new gourmet dark chocolate confetti sprinkles by Ticings. They’re made with plant-based colors and are available for pre-order here.

video-chocolate-hedgehog-cookie-tutorial

The sprinkles are smaller and finer than the average chocolate sprinkle – can you see the difference between the sprinkles in the photo above and then the photo below of cookies I made a few years ago with chocolate sprinkles from Bulk Barn?

hedgehog-decorated-cookies-sweetopia-590x885

Next time I’ll be making them paired with these chocolate sugar cookies.

chocolate-hedgehog-cookie-video-tutorial

If  you’d like to makes these too, you’ll need:

Cookie Recipe

These are gingerbread cookies; you can find the recipe here. There are other cut-out cookie recipes here.

I found the hedgehog cookie cutter in an Ikea set, here. The large mushroom cutter is from Ecrandal, and I custom designed the mini mushroom cutter, which can be found in How Sweet is That?’s shop here.

Royal Icing

You can find my favorite royal icing recipe here. The consistency of icing is key for easy decorating. Click here to see a YouTube video on finding the right icing thickness.

hedgehog-cookie-video-tutorial

Decorating Items

What you’ll need (some of these are affiliate links):

Decorating Steps

This video on outlining and flooding is a good place to start if you’re new to decorating cookies with royal icing. These cookie decorating basics YouTube videos may also be helpful to get you started.

Besides the video tutorial on YouTube which I’ve shared above, I’ve also shared a few how-to videos on Instagram, which you can see here.

For the simple mushrooms, you can find a how-to video here.

If  you have any questions or comments please feel free to drop me a line below in the comment section or on social media. You can find me on FacebookGoogle+InstagramPinterestTwitter and YouTube.

Happy baking!

video-how-to-decorate-hedgehog-or-porcupine-cookies

1. October 21, 2016 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Your cookies are adorable. I’ve learned so much from watching them. Thanks so much for taking the time do this!

October 25, 2016 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Thanks for your comments everyone!

2. October 21, 2016 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Your technique and attention to detail never fails to delight. Thank you for including our product in your tutorial, Marian!

3. October 22, 2016 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

These are so cute! I absolutely love them. Definitely pinning them as inspiration!

4. Maria Theresia
    October 23, 2016 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Oh……how adorable. Love your music in the video. It makes me feel like dancing! Gorgeous work like every thing you share! You are the best teacher ever!

November 7, 2016 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for the comments! xo

6. Courtney
    December 18, 2016 at 1:18 am | Permalink

Hi! I was just wondering if the meringue powder was necessary in the royal icing recipe! If it makes it work better I’ll go out and grab some. Thank you!