Mar 22

Sweet Pea Cupcake Toppers

Hello friends!

Almost 3 months since my last post – a first for me! I’ve never missed a month in 5 years of blogging (February was Sweetopia’s 5 year anniversary too!), and I have missed you. I hope you’ve been baking and creating up a storm, and I would love to see your creations if you’d like to share them with me on Facebook, Instagram or whichever social media avenue you like.

I have been knee deep in life… Namely, teaching a new business course at school, keeping up with our “new” bunny Cookie hopping around the house, exciting events with friends and family, and experiencing God in a new way. There’s so much I’d like to share, but I’ll start with this one today – my baby brother and my sister-in-law Stefanie (a post on their wedding here), are the proud new parents of baby Sofie! Born Sunday, March 16th at 1:17 pm EST, she’s a sweet pea for sure.

{Instagram pic}

For Stef’s baby shower a few weeks ago (Donna and Jenny you did such a great job!), I made sweet pea cupcakes to match the shower’s theme, Pea in a Pod.

Pea in a Pod Cupcakes

First off, all the credit to the design of these pea in a pod cupcake toppers goes to robin33smith, of The Well Dressed Cupcake.  I found her sweet pea toppers on Etsy, and asked permission to share my version of her creations. Thank you, Robin!

Pea in a Pod Cupcake Toppers

The pods were created with a circle cutter, and each “baby” consists of rolled balls of green and light peach gumpaste.

I ended up using gum paste, as everything held together much better than with fondant.

The indentations for the eyes and soother were made using a stick gum paste tool (the forest green one).

For the cupcake tree itself, I placed each baked cupcake into Wilton’s Double Ruffle cupcake liners, and used a #126 petal tip to pipe the icing.

Cupcake and Icing Recipes

You may have noticed that one of the icings looks more ivory. The deeper shade of ivory is cream cheese icing, and the lighter icing is vanilla frosting.

I paired pumpkin cupcakes with the cream cheese icing, and chocolate & vanilla cupcakes with the frosting.

My roses are definitely a work in progress (as you can see here if you like), so the rose and carnation gum paste flowers are from Petra International.

Hope you’re having fun creating! I’d love to see what sweet things you’re up to if you’d like to share.

1. Julie Stottmann
    March 22, 2014 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

These are absolutely precious! So is your darling new niece 🙂 Welcome back Marian, you have been missed!

2. Lorna
    March 23, 2014 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Those cupcakes are awesome …. the baby is beautiful.
    THANK YOU for posting. I missed you and your creations !!

3. March 23, 2014 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Hello Marian!

So happy to be reading from you again here! I really missed your posts!
    Congratulations to the new baby! She looks adorable!
    As do the cupcakes you made! Think I saw the etsy-link on facebook a while ago and already loved the idea.
    They look really, really pretty!

4. Nadine
    March 23, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

So glad you’re back 🙂

The cupcakes are SUPER adorable and congratulations on your new little niece, the new course, and your 5th anniversary! xoxo

5. Kim
    March 23, 2014 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Adorable! So glad to see you back – you have been missed!

6. Dawn
    March 23, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

Amazing as always! I have been waiting…so glad to have you back!

7. Marian N
    March 23, 2014 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

So happy to see you posting again. Life happens to us all, but I’m glad you are back. What a happy occasion. Thank you for sharing.

8. March 24, 2014 at 4:06 am | Permalink

Sweetie,
    wishing you a sweet Monday and I am happy to see your blog post, yayyy!
    These toppers ARE SO cute – I love them!

SO many things are happening – God is good in so many ways, happy you experience Him allll new now, so do I 🙂

Much love as usual,
    xoxo, niner 🙂

9. Teresa
    March 24, 2014 at 5:02 am | Permalink

Happy belated 5th anniversary and what a cute idea.

10. ROSA MARY FEIJOO
    March 24, 2014 at 8:01 am | Permalink

Yo si te he extrañado pero ya veo que la razòn de tu ausencia es maravillosa. FELICITACIONES es hermosa esta princesita guisantita… les deseo a todos mucha felicidad, buena salud y union para verla y hacerla crecer feliz, saludable y buena, desde Caracas Venezuela un gran Cariño y buenos deseos

Rosa Mary Feijoo 🙂

11. March 24, 2014 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Hi Marian it is wonderful to see your post, miss you a lot here and on instgram.
    Beautiful and so cute cupcakes and toppers Congratulations on your new baby niece Sofie, beautiful name. Congratulations on your 5th blog anniversary another great success.
    Rowaida xoxo

12. Andrea
    March 24, 2014 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Wow, what a pretty baby. So happy to find you well and busy. Can’t wait to see more creative posts. Easter is coming and I need some inspiration.

13. Kim
    March 24, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian, congratulations on becoming an aunt! It is good to see you back. I am glad all is well with you.
    God bless

14. Marilyn
    March 25, 2014 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Congratulations on becoming an Aunt! You and your family are truly blessed. Your niece is a beautiful little girl! So glad you’re back to inspire and motivate after this long cold winter. I missed your posts! Love, love, those darling cupcakes. Already ran out and bought ruffled cupcake liners in white and some other pastel shades. Will use them to “dress up” my Easter cupcakes.

15. Roshini
    March 26, 2014 at 6:15 am | Permalink

Happy to see you back again. belated 5th anniversary wishes 😉
    everything in this post is SO damn cute.
    would love to see a video post on how you piped those beautiful ruffles on the cupcakes. thanks in advance

16. Kimmie
    March 26, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I soooooo miss you! I love, love, love the little “peas” they are adorable. God is so good and He loves you more than you will ever know.

17. Resi
    March 26, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Have been missing you too! (Was a bit worried something was wrong…) Congrats at your niece, what a pretty baby! And I really, really like your cupcakes too. So nice you’re back, you are such an inspiration for me. Thank you Marian for all the things you showing and learning us, big hug, Resi

18. Maria Theresia
    March 28, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

hi Marian,
    congratulations Aunt Marian! Beautiful Baby!
    Your Cupcakes Toppers are adorable cute idea…love your roses too! I’m glad you are back!

19. Marilyn
    March 29, 2014 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian, back again with a question re lamb cookies on purple cookie plate…posted a year ago. I was looking at “everything Easter” on Sweetopia for ideas. Anyway…lambs look like they were done in white buttercream. wondering what tip #. Thanks.

20. March 29, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

These look yummy good! I’ll give them a try as soon as I’m able!
    I’ve missed your posts!

H.

21. Marilyn
    March 31, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Hello again Marian. Disregard above question re icing for lamb cookies. I searched further and found all my answers. That’s why I love Sweetopia!

22. Milena D.
    April 5, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

ADORABLE!!!
    how can you eat these?!?!? 🙂

23. Violeta
    April 10, 2014 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

I love it, I love it, I love it <3

24. May 7, 2014 at 6:06 am | Permalink

Such a cute baby! And the cupcakes go really well with the occasion. I love the idea of baby peas 🙂

Once again thank you for the inspiration.