Dec 13

Decorated Polar Bear Cookies

LIfe is surprising, don’t you find? If someone had asked my older brother (Thomas) and I as children, how we imagined ourselves in our 30′s, we would never have guessed that I’d be so enthusiastic about cookie decorating, and he’d be so passionate about the Arctic. Even if we were asked to create some sort of fictional story, we’d never come up with twists and turns of our paths thus far.

Do you ever look back at your childhood self and wish you could tell yourself what lies ahead? Or would it be better left as a surprise? Either way, we’ve both found things we’re passionate about, and I’m excited to share with you a little glimpse into his here.

This is my brother Thomas, who is the Expedition Director of Arctic Kingdom, a company who offers Arctic safaris, cruises, getaways and private trips to the Arctic.

{Photo credit Michelle Valberg}

Arctic Kingdom provides equipment and outfitting services for logistically demanding expeditions for tourism, companies, filmmakers and scientists.

{Photo credit Michelle Valberg}

Thomas says that ever since he first came to the Arctic in 2002 for a scuba trip with beluga and narwhal near Arctic Bay, the Arctic bug bit him…hard. The beauty of the land, working with local Inuit, and exploring one of man’s least known frontiers appeals to him immensely. He’s very passionate about the Arctic and wants to share and show the rest of the world what a beautiful and amazing place it is.

{Photo credit Michelle Valberg}

Breathtaking, isn’t it! These gorgeous images are only the tip of the iceberg (couldn’t resist) – you can find more photos and info. on the Arctic Kingdom site and Facebook page.

{Photo credit Michelle Valberg}

For Arctic Kingdom’s Christmas party last week, I made polar bear decorated cookies. If you’d like to make them too, I’ve got a how to below.

Polar Bear Cookie Cutter

Designed and beautifully handcrafted by Ecrandal.com, you can find the polar bear cookie cutters here.

{Instagram Pic}

Gingerbread Cookie Dough

You can find the recipe for the dough here. If you’d like a sugar cookie or other kind of cookie recipe click here.

I love my large baking trays for laying as many cookies out to decorate on.

Royal Icing

You can find my favorite royal icing recipe here. The consistency of icing is key for easy decorating. Click here to see a YouTube video on finding the right icing thickness.

Decorating Steps

What you’ll need:

• Piping Tip PME 1.5, #3
  • Piping Bags
  • Couplers
  • Gel paste colors (white, black)

Step One:

Outline the polar bear shape with royal icing. For detailed decorating tips, this tutorial may be helpful for you.

Step Two:

With the same icing, flood, or fill in your shape.

Step Three:

Shake the cookie gently to help the icing smooth over.

Let the base dry for at least 6-12 hours.

Step Four:

Add the ear and face details with a #1.5 tip and black royal icing.

I played around with a few simple designs on paper first, to see which I preferred.

Let those details dry for 3-6 hours and serve or package in cellophane bags.

The Arctic Kingdom tags were printed at business Business Depot and I simply attached them with ribbon.

If  you have any questions or comments which you’d like to share you’re welcome to leave a comment below, or on Facebook, Pinterest etc.

Happy cookie decorating!

1. December 13, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

They are wonderful! So simple but amazing to look at. I bet they were a big hit!

2. Maria Theresia
    December 13, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Beautiful Polar Bear Cookies. I’m sure all the guests loved them. How many did you make? Lots of work.
    I love your introduction! Amazing Arctic pictures.
    Have a great weekend.

December 16, 2013 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Thanks Maria Theresia! I made 61 cookies. :)

3. December 13, 2013 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

I see your Gingerbread cookie dough recipe has 800 grams of flour and 250 grams of butter. Do you know what they are in cups?

4. December 13, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Marian, the cookies are beautiful, but the photos of the Arctic are breathtaking!
    You’re such a good sister!

December 16, 2013 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Hee hee, I try. Thanks, Gail!

5. December 14, 2013 at 1:24 am | Permalink

While I love the Polar Bear cookies, I had to visit your brothers website. How breathtaking the photos are! I will come back when I have more time to view the whole site! What an adventurous job he has, it must be wonderful!

December 16, 2013 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Hi Jamie,
      Yes, I think he’s got quite the adventurous job too! Thanks for your lovely comment!

6. Amy Kobayashi
    December 14, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Marian,
    Love the adorable cookies…what a good sister! And love the light in the cookie on trays photos…nice feeling!
    xo Amy

December 16, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Hi Amy,
      Thanks so much! (I try sometimes hehe). Hope you’re doing well – wish you were still at this school!

7. December 14, 2013 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

Did you omit the baking powder in these? Also, do you usually omit it for gingerbread houses and leave it in for decorated cookies?

December 16, 2013 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Hi Vanessa, yes I did omit the baking powder in these, and for gingerbread house cookies I do too. They still taste great and have a good texture, but keep their shape better.

8. Tesei
    December 15, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

The photos of the Arctic are truly amazing. What a great job your brother is doing and it’s so nice you support him with your own work. Congratulations!

December 16, 2013 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Thanks Tesei, I’m proud of him. :)

9. December 16, 2013 at 8:58 am | Permalink

How fun are these!

10. December 16, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

these made both me and my little girls smile- I love to show them your wonderful work :)

December 16, 2013 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Thanks Kevin and Heather! So glad it could make your little ones smile.

11. December 16, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Love the bears!

12. December 16, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

These cookies are so cute! The pictures of the article are breathtaking!

13. December 17, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

These cookies are adorable! I so love polar bears :)

14. Sue
    December 23, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

On Pinterest I saw your polar bear cookies wrapped in celophane and tied with polar bear ribbon in a pale blue. Do you know where I can buy that ribbon? I just love how well it matches your polar bear cookies. Thanks for any help.

January 2, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Hi Sue,
      Sorry for the delay! I made those other polar bear cookies a few years ago, so I’m not sure the ribbon will be available, but I got it at Michael’s Craft store.

15. January 2, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Love the arctic images and I believe polar bears are very rare because of the melting of the snow at the north pole. I would try to make the cookies tomorrow when I have a little time.

January 7, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

It’s true, they are rarer now. Hopefully that will change. xo Enjoy cookie decorating!

16. B. Anna
    January 3, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

“Think African Safari, but in the Arctic”, that made me giggle. I think an Arctic Safari is more my repertoire versus an African Safari since I much rather not sweat. Can’t wait to show my husband the Arctic Kingdom website and talk him into taking me lol. Love the Polar Bear cookies. I had to get me a set today! Thanks for sharing :-)

January 7, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Anna, that’s wonderful! Wouldn’t that be neat if you went because you found this post here. :) I haven’t been yet, but from all I see and hear it’s such a beautiful and moving experience.

17. January 16, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Marian, Thanks so much for such a special wonderful contribution to our event this year! The cookies looked great and taste even better! I found some family had kept a few for Christmas Tree decorations. Looks like they will be around for many years to come!

January 17, 2014 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Hi Graham!
      Thanks for your lovely comment – I’m glad you enjoyed the cookies!
      I think you’ve done such an amazing thing… creating Arctic Kingdom – kudos to you!

18. Daisy
    March 5, 2014 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Hi Marion! I absolutely love your cookies! I was wondering how far in advance can I decorate cookies? And do I freeze them, refrigerate them? I have a party in about 3 weeks and I wanted to make your elephant cookies that I saw here.