Jan 05

{Video} How to Dry Cookies Decorated with Royal Icing

cute-paris-french-cookies-590x885

Video Tutorial on Drying Cookies Made with Royal Icing & Making Parisian-Themed Cookies

If you can’t see the video click HERE.

If you prefer watching videos on Vimeo, click HERE.

Hi there!

Hope all of you are having a good start to 2012 and hope this year is filled with lots of sweet things for you.

I’m excited to start my year with some fun cookie themes, like these Parisian ones here. I’ll be doing a travelling series of Around the World decorated cookies, and I just happened to begin my journey with Paris, France.

Oh la la!

I knew when I found these paris design sticky notes by Jillian Phillips, I just had to make a cookie version. Thank you to Jillian and Lilla Rogers for allowing me to use her images! They were so fun to make, and really quite simple once you know a bit about piping royal icing. If you need some guidance, a good place to start is with my Cookie Decorating Tutorial, and two videos on Icing Consistency and How to Pipe Icing Lines.

As part of this post, I thought I’d share with you how I dry my cookies after I’ve decorated them with royal icing. It seems like such a simple thing but if you’re new to cookie decorating there can be lots of questions about how to do it so that your cookies turn out. You can find all my tips in this video here (I’ve put it here in the post again in case you missed it because sometimes the page takes a while to load):

Video on How to Dry Cookies Decorated with Royal Icing

If you can’t see the video click HERE.

If you prefer watching videos on Vimeo, click HERE.

Something I didn’t mention in the video, is that the cookie shapes were made using templates I made, not cutters. I thought I had an Eiffel Tower cookie cutter and when I went to look in my (eep, hundreds of) cutters, I didn’t actually have one.

Either way, if you’re not making too many of these, cutting the cookies out with a template and paring knife, isn’t difficult, it just takes a bit longer than using a cutter.

You can find an Eiffel Tower cookie cutter here, and for the other shapes you can be creative and use other cutters you already have. Take for example the dachshund, Cindy asked on facebook if it was from a stocking cookie cutter. It wasn’t, but it easily could have been. Thanks for the idea, Cindy!

I’m thinking these would work as romantic Valentine cookies too, don’t you?

Now I’ve got some questions for you…

Where in the world do you live? Are there buildings, things or symbols from your city or country which you think would make great cookies?

Share your thoughts with me here in the comment section below, or you can share them on Facebook or twitter. I can’t wait to see where you’re from and which cookies you’d love to see!

Happy decorating!

p.s. I’ve linked these cookies to TidyMom’s I’m Lovin’ It. Check out her page for lots of amazing and fun ideas!

1. July 16, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Oh my! These are ridiculously adorable! So precise and immaculate 🙂 I live in London and there are a lot of fun landmarks like Big Ben, the Gherkin building, the London Eye! I would love to see a London Eye cookie!

2. July 16, 2012 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks @ Jenny! I’d love to make those! Thanks for the ideas!

3. Ashlee
    July 17, 2012 at 10:11 am | Permalink

These are so(!!!!!) cute and precise!! In your video where it shows you piping the Eiffel Tower, I know the icing is obviously thicker, but are you also using a smaller piping tip? What size? I’m a beginner at this and am still learning the techniques and the proper thickness, etc, for piping the smaller details on cookies. Working on my collection of piping tips, etc, and wondering what sizes to have on hand for these small details that require more precision. Thanks!

4. Erika Schmidt
    July 17, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

You should share the templates you used for those cute cookies! 🙂 I want to try!!!

July 17, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Ashlee: Actually, for this project I use the same icing to flood as I did to outline the Eiffel Tower. Any time I’m using a #1.5 or #2 tip, I use the same icing. That icing consistency I call the 10 second rule, and you can find a video on how I do it, in my YouTube section if you like. For really fine lines which I want to keep their shape more (thinner), yes I thicken the icing. You might want to also check my post on how to prevent piping tips from clogging, if you’re going that route. xo

@ Erika Schmidt: I’ve shared a link to where they’re from, but sharing a template would infringe on copyright, sorry!

6. July 21, 2012 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

I am swooning. I can’t believe how beautiful your cookies are and really can’t believe the timing. I am having French Day for our little grand-daughters next month and plan to make these cookies (although I can’t imagine they will turn out like yours….darn)

Bon Jour.

7. July 21, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

Aw! Merci, @ Jill! Good luck and let me know if you have any questions! xo

8. Tiffany
    September 24, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Hi…. LOVE your cookies…How do you make them so the coloring doesnt run into eachother??

9. September 24, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

HI @ Tiffany: Let one part of the cookie dry for about 15 minutes to half an hour, and then pipe the color beside it.

10. Ruth
    October 1, 2012 at 1:08 am | Permalink

I have a question about the royal icing. When you are letting your cookies dry, is there a way to store the icing in between uses? And how long is the icing usually viable to use?

October 2, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Permalink
    • Catherine
      August 16, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Marion- These cookies are gorgeous! What tools are you use to put the image on the cookies? I used to be a cookie decorator at a local shop in Austin and these blow them out of the water! Keep up the good work!!

12. Kru
    October 3, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Hi, these cookies are simply adorable!! Do you sell them or know of anyone that does?? I have a shower coming up that these would be perfect for but I’m not sure I can make these! 🙂

October 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks, @ Kru: Here are some cookie decorators you could try:
    All the best!

14. Lani
    October 5, 2012 at 6:13 am | Permalink

Oh, Marian. You are amazing!!!! I’ve been following you for almost a year now. You have made me become such a better decorator than I knew I had in me. ALL of your cookies have been top notch and just exquisite. I hope you continue to posts pictures and tutuorials. They are very easy to follow. All the BEST to you and all your “sweet” endeavors!

15. Sarah
    October 6, 2012 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Hello! I LOVE your cookies, looking at your videos and cookie designs is actually inspiring me to do more of that!
    I want to be a pastry chef/decorator and seeing what you are doing is making me want to do it more! 😀

16. Cynthia Ralph
    October 17, 2012 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

I saw you where using some sort of projector.How or what exactly was it?
    Your tutorials are very inspiring,thank you so much for sharing!!

October 18, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Hi @ Cynthia Ralph: This post may be something you like:http://sweetopia.net/2010/06/decorating-cookies-with-a-kopykake-projector/

Awww, that’s so great, @ Sarah! Glad to hear it. 🙂

@ Lani: What a sweet comment, thank you!! xo

18. November 9, 2012 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Healthy recipes, regardless of course. Meal, snack, drink…it’s all good!

19. Marisa
    November 19, 2012 at 6:18 am | Permalink

Marian, felicidades por tu blog y mil gracisas por comparti.
    Un abrazo.

20. Alejandra
    November 27, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Marian, hi.
    Im trying to make cookies but its very humid, i let them dry at room temperature but they were to water down i think is the word?
    Then I made more and covered with plastic wrap and they were fine until y put the royal icing, what can i do?
    Thanks

November 29, 2012 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Hi @ Alejandra: You need to work in a room with a de-humidifier and air conditioner. Sorry, wish it was cheaper than that! xo

22. December 8, 2012 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

@ marian:
    You are so talented! What an inspiration for us wanna bees.
    I live in Florida It’s December 8th, 80 something degrees, 80% humidity! So thank you for the articles on drying and humidity!!
    Cynthia

23. Daniela
    January 4, 2013 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Hello Mariam, I love your blog and cookies you !! are super elegants !!! and today I put the picture of the Eiffel Tower cookie to my friend in her facebook page , because is her 29th Birthday today and because she born in Paris

24. nasheta
    January 25, 2013 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Hi Marian – love your site! I am from Cape Town in South Africa. Table Mountain is truely iconic here and aptly represents my hometown. It was also recently voted one of the new 7 wonders of the world! Please can you make a cookie like that? That would be awesome 🙂

Rgds
    Nasheta

25. Paula Turnnidge
    February 14, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Hi Love your cookie designs, but could you let me know where I can purchase the plates from

Many thanks

Paula

February 14, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Glad it helps, @ Cytnthia. 🙂

So cool, @ Daniela! Thank you!

@ nasheta: Oh I’m getting inspired just thinking about that – thanks for the idea!

Hi @ Paula Turnnidge: I bought them from a store in Canada called Home Sense.

27. February 20, 2013 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

I love you site and your cookies… Kisses

28. Wendy
    April 7, 2013 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Hi Marian!
    I love your site! It is like my sugar cookie Bible!!
    What consistency piping icing and tip number did you use for the Eiffel Tower? I have trouble with my pipping icing either curling when too thick or leaving a thick start and finish to my lines (20-25 second icing?) Hopefully you can help:)!

29. April 13, 2013 at 6:40 am | Permalink

I just saw these cookies at the Cottage Market and I had to come over to tell you how amazing they are! What a work of art 🙂

30. April 13, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks, @ Kiara!

@ Wendy: I used the 10 second rule and maybe this video will help? Have you seen it?

31. April 13, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks @ Denise… On A Whim!

32. Wendy
    April 22, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

I have seen it!:) But when I use 10 Sec. Icing for pipping lines they run together when I over lap:(
    @ Marian (Sweetopia):

April 22, 2013 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Hi @ Wendy: It could be something as simple as I take longer pauses while counting to 10. Try making your icing a smidgen thicker then. xo

34. Corina
    June 19, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Hi Marian!
    Your cookies are fantastic!!!
    I have a question for you. I iced my sugar cookie and 3 days passed and the cookies still felt sticky to the touch. Do u think its humidity??? How can I help it along? Thx 🙂

June 23, 2013 at 8:20 am | Permalink

Hi Corina, Yes, I’m guessing the humidity, or if you have corn syrup in the icing. The more you have in the icing, the less it will fully dry. If it IS the humidity, I suggest putting them in a room with a dehumidifier until you are satisfied they’re dry.
      xo

35. Christian
    July 16, 2013 at 8:20 am | Permalink

These cookies are gorgeous. You are amazing 🙂

1. […] with the Eiffel Tower.  It’s architectural beauty dominates the Parisian skyline.  While it’s possible to duplicate the architectural structure of Tour Eiffel in cookie form, an artistic approach is much simpler and just as beautiful. Three varying Eiffel Tower designs. An […]

2. By How to Make Decorated Cherry Cookies | Sweetopia on July 23, 2012 at 11:48 am

[…] Step 7. – Drying –  Let your icing dry for 12-24 hours. If you'd like to see a video on drying decorated cookies click here.  […]

3. By How to Make Lemon Cookies | Sweetopia on July 27, 2012 at 10:21 am

[…] Step 7. – Drying – {Instagram photo} Let your icing dry for 12-24 hours. If you'd like to see a video on drying decorated cookies click here.  […]

4. […] those areas dry for 6-12 hours (Time depends on the humidity in your area. Please see here for a video on drying decorated […]

5. […] with the Eiffel Tower.  It’s architectural beauty dominates the Parisian skyline.  While it’s possible to duplicate the architectural structure of Tour Eiffel in cookie form, an artistic approach is much simpler and just as beautiful. Three varying Eiffel Tower designs. An […]

6. By Whims’ Pins- Cookies! – Whims -n- Doodles on October 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm

[…] sweetopia.net, pinned by […]

7. By bonnes vacances & paris themed cookies on October 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm

[…] like to wish you a wonderful holiday! For those of staying at home and wanting to make these Parisian-themed cookies, you can find a how-to video here. Aren’t they […]

8. […] un enlace con quizás la galletitas que más me han gustado nunca, son de inspiración París, de Sweetopia, y está muy bien que veáis el video de cómo se hacen, está en inglés, pero da igual, porque es […]

9. […] collectie van Jetjes & Jobjes en ben je nog op zoek naar bijpassende koekjes. Marian van Sweetopia laat zien hoe je deze zelf kunt maken. Ze zijn absoluut geweldig en eigenlijk te mooi om op te […]

10. By París en unas galletas | Petra Panfilova Shop on January 23, 2013 at 6:33 am

[…] un mordisco a estas galletas parisinas? Para los más apañados en la cocina aquí tenéis un tutorial para hacerlas. (Visto en Sweetopia: un lugar […]

11. […] Parisian Love Cookies […]

12. […] was just tracing, not trying the remember exactly what I did on the last cookie.  Marian’s French Dog and Eiffel Tower cookies are insane and so cute!!   Follow Marian [ Twitter ][ Facebook ][ You Tube ][ Pinterest ]     […]

13. By KopyKake Projector Giveaway | Sweetopia on March 10, 2013 at 10:25 pm